Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

repairing fiberglass hood, painting plastic nose and bumper

kbog5479
11-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi, i was wondering if it would be possible to repair a cracked fiberglass hood? The corner is just cracked alittle, and flexes when you lift the hood up. I was wondering if you could just sand it down and put a fiberglass patch on it?

I was also wondering if you could use regular automotive paint on plastic bumpers and nose clips, or if you need a special kind of paint for it. Also, how would you repair any holes or cracks in them?

BlkCamaroSS
11-11-2003, 11:24 AM
You could repair it, but it's not worth the time, just get a new hood. Every fiberglass hood that I've ever seen with damage has been replaced entirely...

GTStang
11-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Hi, i was wondering if it would be possible to repair a cracked fiberglass hood? The corner is just cracked alittle, and flexes when you lift the hood up. I was wondering if you could just sand it down and put a fiberglass patch on it?

I was also wondering if you could use regular automotive paint on plastic bumpers and nose clips, or if you need a special kind of paint for it. Also, how would you repair any holes or cracks in them?

For bumpers nose clips you really need to lay down a epoxy primer. Most regular primers and paints to not like to stick to rubber bumpers. Ever notice how many cars have bumpers that have peeling paint? So do normal good body work then lay down that primer. Then just use regular automotive paint and you will be fine.

the1much
07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
a novice could repair your hood with good directions in 1 and a half days( not counting painting) and for under 75 bucks. to repair plastic bumpers you need a special epoxy,,and you can use auto paint, but you HAVE to spray it with an inhibiter,,3m has one called polyolefin adhesion promoter for TPO repair,,its so the paint sticks and dont peel off

stepho
07-18-2007, 10:01 PM
a novice could repair your hood with good directions in 1 and a half days( not counting painting) and for under 75 bucks. to repair plastic bumpers you need a special epoxy,,and you can use auto paint, but you HAVE to spray it with an inhibiter,,3m has one called polyolefin adhesion promoter for TPO repair,,its so the paint sticks and dont peel off

Dude you just replied to a thread that hasn't been active in 4 years.

ZL1power69
07-18-2007, 10:12 PM

Add your comment to this topic!