Looking to buy a 85 RX-7 with 200k Miles??

newmazdaman
11-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Hi imlooking at buying a 85 Rx-7 5 speed it has 200000 miles on the original rotary engine? how much longer can this puppy last? and they wan 500$ canadian for it should i just go for it and worse comes to worse just sesll for parts? and last ? is what are the bad things about RX-7 and the things you should look out for? like i read that you cant stop and go with it? case id do some pizza delivries with it :) so what do you think thank for your time Moe

DavidovSpeedWRC
11-11-2003, 01:31 AM
How is the body, interior and suspension?
If those are in relatively good condition (for an 85) then $500 CDN is not bad at all.

Honestly the motor is probably on its last leg However you can always do a compression test on the motor if you really want to find out how well off it is.

Basically for $500 you can but a cool, old car, rebuild the engine and have a nice daily driver.

OR A MAD CRAZY RACE CAR! :D

Humanoid Typhoon
11-11-2003, 08:39 AM
better if you buy the body for 300 and order yourself a new engine..200k is near death on an original motor; even if it was kept in extreme care of the previous owner. especially if its a TII engine, it should of blown some time ago. If you have extra money to rebuild the engine or get a new one, all the power to you!

dkennedy
11-11-2003, 10:33 AM
200,000 on a RX-7 is a lot, mine has 250,000 and has been smoking and leaking oil for the last 3 years. Here are a couple of things to look for if you expect to get some more miles out of it:
Does it smoke at high RPM? If so it may have been overheated and have damaged seals.
Does the exhast smell like gas? If so have bad appex seals and are only running on essentially half the engine, I drove a 79 for 2 years on half the engine, hard to start sometimes!
Check out the clutch, make sure it feels good and the bearings are not noisy, this could be a pain in the butt.
Finally, take it for a drive, get on it a bit and see if it still has pep, look for smoke and listen for noise.
Oh, you are in Canada, consider the fact it is rear wheel drive and almost helpless in the snow and ice....

David

Add your comment to this topic!