Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cobra vs F-Body LS1

disco192
11-10-2003, 12:27 AM
I just wanna re-initiate the GM vs Ford battle that everyone loves.

I am thinking about getting a z28 or a 99 cobra. Just wondering what all of you think.

I really like the cobra 281 dohc engine, but the power of the LS1 with a 6-speed is just intoxicating.

genjy
11-10-2003, 01:27 AM
I would choose the Cobra based on the two cars' interiors alone. The Mustang has much better interior build-quality and design than the Camaro.

The Camaro's interior is just... sad. :headshake

Mr Payne
11-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Camaro. Engine is very nice. Handling is decent. Gas mileage would probably be better due to the ridiculously tall 5th & 6th gears.

Tekone
11-10-2003, 09:53 PM
I just wanna re-initiate the GM vs Ford battle that everyone loves.

I am thinking about getting a z28 or a 99 cobra. Just wondering what all of you think.

I really like the cobra 281 dohc engine, but the power of the LS1 with a 6-speed is just intoxicating.

Thas been debated only a few thousand times so here we go again.

Both cars are great for what they are. If you are looking for a reasonably priced car that will outperform 90% of all the cars on the road and get a kick out of driving everyday, then look no further.

It all comes down to which you like better. Since both cars have millions of die-hard enthusiasts who wouldn't be caught looking at the other, there will never be a one sided opinion to this. With that said, I bought the Chevy. Why? They are much less common on the road. I just couldn't stand to own a car that is EVERYWHERE on the road. No joke, I cannot go for more than a minute driving where I live and not see at least one Mustang. I think they look good, and the 99+ GT's and Cobras, espically the 03' have good power, but I wanted something different.

Pros for the LS1 f-bodies:
1. Mean sounding with an aftermarket catback.
2. The LS1. IMHO one of the best engines out there. Highly underrated horsepower in the f-body.
3. More uncommon to see on the road, espically as time goes on.

Pros for the Cobra:
1. The Cobra emblem. :p LOL it catches my eye everytime I see one.
2. The DOHC 4.6. Gotta love a V8 that can rev to ~6800.
3. The sound. IMO, the Cobra and GT are among the best sounding cars ever made (4.6 cars). Throw on an off road X or H and some Flows, and you have an awsome sounding car.

Tekone
11-10-2003, 10:05 PM
I would choose the Cobra based on the two cars' interiors alone. The Mustang has much better interior build-quality and design than the Camaro.

The Camaro's interior is just... sad. :headshake

How can you say the interior of the Mustang is any better than the Camaro or Firebird? Both have yards of plastic everywhere. Neither is an ergonomic wonder, but I think the Camaro's interior is more comfortable, not to mention containing a better seating arrangement. Have you ever been in, let alone driven, either? I have, and own one of the above. I just don't like having to step up into any sports car I ride in. Once in a Mustang, the seats just don't feel right to me. It is just a minor quibble, and they can be replaced easily, but it is still an irritation. As for the driving position, I think the Camaro is more comfortable to sit in and drive, espically with a manual tranny. The Mustang's stick is too far forward, and you have to have long arms to reach third and fifth. Again, a short shifter will fix this easily, but I'm talking stock to stock here.

And as for build quality, again, we're talking GM and Ford here. I think both have about the same build quality. I have had no problems with my Camaro, ever.

disco192
11-10-2003, 11:26 PM
The cobra does have a nicer interior, and f-bodies have a tendency to blow out thrie rear ends.

When you compare Ford vs GM that is a GT vs a z28, the SVT division of Ford puts out a whole class of cars.

Tekone
11-11-2003, 06:45 PM
The cobra does have a nicer interior, and f-bodies have a tendency to blow out thrie rear ends.

When you compare Ford vs GM that is a GT vs a z28, the SVT division of Ford puts out a whole class of cars.

Your comment regarding the interior of the Cobra is subjective. Neither is really any better than the other. Like I said, own one first, and then ride in the other all the time before commenting on the interior.

Yes, f-bodies blow out rear ends just like any other solid-axle car when you put 4.10's and drag radials on them. You do that to any car with a solid axle, I guarentee the rear axle is on borrowed time.

Your third comment makes no sense.

disco192
11-12-2003, 02:10 AM
Well the only people that ive known with f-bodies both blew out their rear ends. They both had LS1 TA's (one manual, one auto) and they were only lightly modified (headers, cut-offs, MAFS). Yea they drove them hard, but still.

Didnt they fix the rear ends in the WS6 (SS also maybe) ?

Tekone
11-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Well the only people that ive known with f-bodies both blew out their rear ends. They both had LS1 TA's (one manual, one auto) and they were only lightly modified (headers, cut-offs, MAFS). Yea they drove them hard, but still.

Didnt they fix the rear ends in the WS6 (SS also maybe) ?

I know over 20 people who currently own f-bodies an not one has ever had problems with their rear end until they lowered the axle ratio and or put DR's or nittos on.

All of the f-bodies have the same rearends, stock.

GTStang
11-12-2003, 05:35 PM
I say just get the one you like best. Cobra will be rarer though other than that i's just choice they both good cars.

I have never seen or heard a Ford 8.8 axle with swapped gears and DR's bust in my life with the stock engine. That 10-bolt chevy rear-end is to weak for the power Chevy gives you.(That's a compliment and a rip on Chevy)

fatninja19
11-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Here's my opinion if money isn't a factor(purchase price, mods, and insurance)...

Firehawk, WS6, SS > pre 03 Cobra

pre 03 Cobra> Camaro z28 and Trans Am

Camaro Z28 and Trans Am> GT

Cobra's are definitely more rare than the z28's and t/a's around here. And those modular 4.6's sound uber amazing.. better than the LS1's..

TexasF355F1
11-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Do not get a 99 Cobra. Ford recalled them I believe b/c they were so underpowered. The motor had to be completely reworked which was why there was no 2000 Cobra. From what I've heard GT's could beat the 99 Cobra's. Where's the Ford know-it-all's who should have pointed this out?

Tekone
11-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Do not get a 99 Cobra. Ford recalled them I believe b/c they were so underpowered. The motor had to be completely reworked which was why there was no 2000 Cobra. From what I've heard GT's could beat the 99 Cobra's. Where's the Ford know-it-all's who should have pointed this out?

The 99 Cobras were overrated because of their exhaust changes that never quite resulted in horsepower gains once they were put on the car. The 4.6 was never touched. The engine was fine. It was the exhaust that had to be redeveloped.

And to add to that, Ford offered the exhaust fix to every 99 Cobra owner for free. Most of the 99 Cobras on the road have had the fix done, and make a full 320 hp.

2000LS1Z28
11-16-2003, 03:06 PM
The 99 Cobras were overrated because of their exhaust changes that never quite resulted in horsepower gains once they were put on the car. The 4.6 was never touched. The engine was fine. It was the exhaust that had to be redeveloped.
Bzzzt!!!! Wrong, they had to repair the intake manifold as well. They flattened the exhaust system, so that it wouldn't hit the ground (Rather foolish I must say). I owned a 98 Cobra. The interior looks awesome, especially the white faced racing gauges. The reality of it is that it really isn't that comfortable (My 2000 Z28 feels alot more comfortable). Try to shift the gears w/ a sup in the cup holder, you'll be in for a big surprise. The 10 bolt rear end is a heckuva lot more sturdy in the LS1's then it is in the mustangs, don't believe me go to a Ford dealership repair shop. My former Cobra had 2 trannies, a U joint, and a clutch go out (It went out at 6K miles). The Cobra has the best exhaust note among ANY car period. They grip like crazy to boot. IMO buy a 96-98 Cobra, they are dirt cheap in comparison to the 99/01 Cobras. Heck i'd buy one, i'd just put a TKO tranny in it.

OoNismoO
11-16-2003, 04:41 PM
although solid rear axle is better for drag, i like the 03 mustang svt cobras that have indep rear suspension, cause i want a car that corners good to. i dont know how low the yr goes for mustangs having that indep rear suspension setup, but id rather have that over a solid rear axle mustang, or camaro. its one of the big reasons why id rather go with the mustang over the camaro, since there never was a camaro with indep rear.

2000LS1Z28
11-16-2003, 05:15 PM
I think too many people attribute great handling w/ IRS. If you buy an LS1 w/ the 1le package I doubt that any 03 Cobra is gonna touch you on the circuit. Some guy on LS1.com has vids of him beating NSX's and M3's on road courses w/ that suspension on his car. It was a stock option. Good luck finding an LS1 owner that is willing to part w/ their car if they have that suspension though.

Tekone
11-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Bzzzt!!!! Wrong, they had to repair the intake manifold as well. They flattened the exhaust system, so that it wouldn't hit the ground (Rather foolish I must say). I owned a 98 Cobra. The interior looks awesome, especially the white faced racing gauges. The reality of it is that it really isn't that comfortable (My 2000 Z28 feels alot more comfortable). Try to shift the gears w/ a sup in the cup holder, you'll be in for a big surprise. The 10 bolt rear end is a heckuva lot more sturdy in the LS1's then it is in the mustangs, don't believe me go to a Ford dealership repair shop. My former Cobra had 2 trannies, a U joint, and a clutch go out (It went out at 6K miles). The Cobra has the best exhaust note among ANY car period. They grip like crazy to boot. IMO buy a 96-98 Cobra, they are dirt cheap in comparison to the 99/01 Cobras. Heck i'd buy one, i'd just put a TKO tranny in it.

They also reflashed the EEC as part of the fix, as well as redesigning the lower intake and catback. My bad.

Add your comment to this topic!