Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Never buy TESTORS Spray!!

[jsr]Brendon
11-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Hey guys, I would just like to let you know and ask you guys what you think, but I bought some testors Spray for a few of my new models this weekend and I am veru unhappy with it. I have used both my yellow and red flake paint. (One on a type-R and one on a Corvette) well. the paint is VERY thin and VERY light.. not too mention both of the cans Squirted extra paint out all over and ran down the can AND MY HAND!! I now have a puddle in my garage were the can decided to leak everywere. and the paint gave me horrible horrible results in painting.. bad enough I had to spend 4 hours resanding my TYPE-R... so what do you guys think of this paint?

ProSStreet
11-09-2003, 11:12 PM
well, ive got nothing but good things to say about testors spray. But I always make sure the can is warm, and shaken VERY, very well.

Mustangman25
11-09-2003, 11:13 PM
It's garbage and really not worth your money...
Tamiya sprays are the only ones I use-I tried Testors on my 1st model, and never touched them again after I tried tamiya for the first time. you'll find that a lot of people on these boards use Tamiya.

[jsr]Brendon
11-09-2003, 11:15 PM
It's garbage and really not worth your money...
Tamiya sprays are the only ones I use-I tried Testors on my 1st model, and never touched them again after I tried tamiya for the first time. you'll find that a lot of people on these boards use Tamiya.

I have used both Tamiya and "Model masters" I have nothing but good to say about either of them. but Tamiya is the best by far

Honoturtle
11-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Yes, it is bad! I've used it on my Challenger with major orange peel with a warm, and well shaken can. I've started sanding the car, but went through too much, but still trying to make it smooth w/o stripping the paint. Currently, I can't find any bottles of orange for the car to use with my airbrush at my local Longs and Wal-Mart. So I'm pretty lucked out for now.

willimo
11-10-2003, 12:11 AM
I really like their flat colors, I think they have the best coverage, durability and texture. My favorite paint in the world is their flat black from a can, I burn through cans of that like water. Their glosses are a pain, though, and very difficult to use. Their Boyds line is livable though. It just goes to what you use.

ae86_takumi
11-10-2003, 01:16 AM
I've had a bad experience with Testor's Model Master gloss red spray can. I know some people do use Testor's spray a lot so they must like it. I decided that it's not meant for beginner like me so I stick with Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo spray cans.

Tamiya and Gunze spray cans are equally good in my opinion but Gunze Sangyo acrylic bottles are better than Tamiya's. Gunze acrylics are smoother, thinner, sprays betters through airbrush.

Tamiya/Gunze spray cans are far easier to use than Testor's. They dry faster and more consistent. I still remember stripping off Testor's paint off '69 Camaro with oven cleaner..

Hawk312
11-10-2003, 09:15 AM
I`ll chime in here...

I havent had luck with *any* spray enamel . It always goes on to thick, and is not opaque enough. I used to use testors quite a bit, and as someone has said before, you must heat the can beforehand. I`ve been using laquers only for a while now (several years) and I actually heat them as well. But, I would try to avoid enamels when possible.
With Tamiya, for me anyway, it`s been hit and miss as far as quality, TS-16 seems to be too translucent. However, Yellow Chrome covers great! I`ve been working with Orange lately (I think TS-17), and that works great as well.
The only sprays that have been 100% consistent for me have been Duplicolor and Plastikote. However, I have never been able to use either of these without having to wetsand afterwards.

nervestrikes
11-10-2003, 10:38 AM
I used to like it but it fucked up to man of my models so I don't even think about using it, nor model masters paint. I seem to have my best luck with good ole Tamiya.

XspudX
11-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Like I said on aim B, Tamiya is the way to go. However, I never had problems with my can of flat black from Testors. Who knows.

blueboost
11-10-2003, 12:53 PM
I really like their flat colors, I think they have the best coverage, durability and texture. My favorite paint in the world is their flat black from a can, I burn through cans of that like water. Their glosses are a pain, though, and very difficult to use. Their Boyds line is livable though. It just goes to what you use.

:iceslolan: :iagree:

gasman03
11-10-2003, 01:41 PM
I use Testers (same as Model Master) and Tamiya, Duplicolor, Plasticote, I mainly use Tamiya but Testers is pretty good, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT, its enamal, so it takes a while to dry, you also HAVE to heat the can, get the paint nice and warm, and shake it very well, to get the paint to the right consitency, then it should flow out of the can very nicely, there flats are by far there best paints, the go on very nicely, and dry as fast as Tamiya

Testers has a new line of Laquer paints coming out at the beginning of next year, almost 50 new colors, and from what i've heard they come out with a flat serface, which means you'll have to clear coat it, but, its laquer so you can use Tamiya's fantastic clear coat, so you get the best of both worlds, Testers colors, and a Tamiya finish

BaNe
11-10-2003, 02:15 PM
I think you guys are having "operator difficulties" with the spray. I use it all the time, and get GREAT shine.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=42c727a4-11c3-3533-4f50-6b9542765b34&size=lg

EMAXX
11-10-2003, 04:54 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about it. I've used Testors everytime, except once when I tried Boyd's. I've even gotten the P-Man shine with Testors. It isn't Tamiya paint, but it still is pretty nice.

XspudX
11-10-2003, 04:57 PM
I was just over at Brendon's house. At first, his ITR only had some runs on the door. He sprays some black over it and the does a wet coat about 30 min later. We come back to check on it and the damn thing is cracking as well as the hood. So I think he sprayed it silver(dunno, was putting together a 240z motor).

ImolaEK
11-10-2003, 07:04 PM
the only thing i like from Testors is their clear coat...i use Automotive Paint (Dupli Color) it has some nice colors...

SonyMobile
11-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Well, i guess im one of the few that actually likes testors sprays, i find that they have a great selection of colors, i agree some are not the greatest (kind of thin) such as their gold... but other than that, its great stuff they make one of my favourite colors, Metallic Spahire Blue. very pretty.

I agree with you when you say it drips, the nozzle's on testors sprays are cheap and garbage, i was thinking of using a tamiya nozzle (much better quality) on a testors can but have yet to try it.

SniperX13
11-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Testors flat black is awesome, but I usually only use Boyds for cars. I bought testors green metal flake, and it ran out the can like water, and literally ran off the car like it was under a faucet. The can was shaken up, but not heated, but it had been sitting in the sun for a few hours, so that might have done it.

Zcaithaca
11-11-2003, 07:36 AM
i used to use it alot and i didnt have too many problems but now i got an airbrush :iceslolan and thats what i use

Add your comment to this topic!