Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Accord Wag. Alt/AC belt question

steve_accord91
11-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Looking for a little insight...

My car kept stalling so i took a look and discovered my ac pump wheel was toast, but unfortunately this is on the same belt as the alternator. so I have a couple questions:

1. Is there a smaller belt that I can just bypass the ac pump with and not have a timing problem?

2. If not, will I be able to drive the ~15km to my mechanic's without my alternator and without losing power?

I am a bit of a car dummy, so I would a appreciate any insight, however obvious. It's a 1991 Accord Wagon, manual... nice car, but I am learning real quick about it's workings having never previously owned a car!

Thanks.

burbonneat
11-30-2004, 06:07 PM
They Make the car with out AC so there has to be a belt for them. Just goto your local auto parts place. Say you need that belt. When they ask If you have AC then just say no.. They should have the right belt then

AccordCodger
11-30-2004, 07:39 PM
They Make the car with out AC
They do? (did?) ????

Well, anyway,
1. Sure - it's just a matter of finding the right one.
2. If your battery is fully charged (and you don't use headlights etc) you should make it that far - the motor, fuel pump etc don't use a lot of power. Obviously, if you have a gazillion-watt steroeo, TURN IT OFF!
BUT you won't have power steering either, so bear that in mind.

Add your comment to this topic!