Occasional Hesitation

bigjad2001
11-09-2003, 10:34 AM
I have a 1998 Mercury Mystique with 211,000 km. I have a problem where occasionally when accelerating the car will jerk and hesitate quite noticable for about 10 seconds then it will clear itself and be fine. It is quite intermitant, I can up to a week and it won't happen. It started after I had the timing belt changed and transmission serviced at 200km. I have had it looked at three times and have done the following:

Changed the fuel filter
Cleaned the throttle body
Replaced the spark plugs and wires

It doesn't bring up a code. It is hard to diagnose because it only happens occasionally.

Any suggestions???

bdallenjr
01-08-2004, 03:15 AM
i have the same questions and replaced the same parts now im told that my timing belt may have jumped a couple of teeth

rfalke
06-22-2004, 12:14 AM
I've had the same problem. And you can add fuel injection maintenance to the list, nothing helped. I just paid $170 for the mechanic to tell me he can't get the problem to reoccur! So if anybody has any idea please speak up. Thanks

--ryan

rsvasquez
10-04-2004, 10:37 PM
I have a 2000 Mercury Mystique and it has about 93,000 miles on it.
I've already had the timing belt changed on it too, plus the fuel filter....now it hesitates ALL THE TIME!!! I have to pull over and turn the car off so that it can reset itself and stop doing it. It mostly happens when I am on the highway, which is most of the time. After it hestitate really bad one time I took it to a transmission shop and the guy put the diagnostic machine on it and he had to replace the transmission module on it,which wasn't expensive, but it only took care of the problem for a little while. I'm afraid that it might be the timing belt like ya'll say...that costs a pretty penny to get fixed. I don't want to have to replace it again unless someone out there has another solution. Any ideas on how to fix it? This is the last time I buy a Ford! Anyone out there think it might be some kind of defect?

flyboyutah
11-16-2004, 08:27 AM
I've been troubleshooting my daughters 98 with a similar problem that turned out to be (so far at least) a destroyed idler pully of the timming belt. I don't think that is what's going on with your cars, but I've learned in all my reasearch that the MOST common problem (on the 2.0 4 cyc zetec engine) is with the VCT valve. (Variable camshaft timming).
The good news is, this valve is 'powered' by oil, and it's very sensitive to dirty oil, or even using 10w 30 instead of 5w 30, and if it's not workng correctly, any time you hit 3000 rpm it begins to control the exhaust camshaft timming. If the oil isn't able to power the VCT valve, you get a hesitation.
If that's your engine, You might consider getting an engine flush done, or do it yourself, then change to the 5w 30 if you aren't using it already. Also my alldata book said to only use a certain oil filter that holds the oil inside when the engine is shut down. I guess that's suppose that's to get the oil to the engine quicker on startup.

VinnieD34
11-17-2004, 11:32 PM
We have a 2000 Mystique. We got it serviced at 70,000 I believe b4 a trip from Boston to Niagra Falls. Feeling good that the car was just serviced we were on the highway when it hesitated and stalled when I needed power...almost an accident with a Tractor trailer.
Called the service hotline...they suggested we got bad gas..went and filled up after the car sat a bit it started again...hesitated until we filled up gas...thought that water in gas was problem..WRONG.
Now every time the car is below or around half a tank going up an incline the car hesitates and will stall depending on the angle of the up-grade. When around a 1/4 tank of gas it will hesitate and stall on any surface though this is intermittent. Without a 3/4 tank or better the car will not climb a hill.

Replace oil filters, oil, fuel filters, added dry gas, have done multiple fuel injector cleaners in full tanks,...only temporary inprovements..a couple of days at best...then back to the same...not cool to have to fill up every time you get down to 3/4 of a tank.

Has anyone else noted these problems associated with amount of gas in their vehicle???

Any ideas? Brought it in to the dealers service center and car would not repeat problem on test drives.

flyboyutah
11-18-2004, 08:32 AM
I'm guessing they replaced the fuel pump and checked the fuel pressure, inline filters and so on. Have you ever gotten the 'check enging' light lit? If so what were the error codes?

r.m
04-02-2005, 12:16 AM
I have a '99 Mystique that has the same problem with hills. I only need to keep the tank 1/4 full to keep things going. It is getting worse. It sometimes runs rough and then stalls. It gave me a check engine code: low fuel pressure. Tried changing the fuel filter. It improved for a while. Now the same old thing. Any ideas?

Kris_durbin
08-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I have experienced the exact same problem everyone else here has. If anybody has found the solution to this problem, PLEASE post! My car started off hesitateing under 1/4 tank when trying to accelerate rapidly. Over the past year, it has worstened to whenever you accelerate at all. The harder you accelerate, the worse it is. If the tank becomes to low, (around 1/8 to 1/4) the car won't turn over. My mechanic stated that at high revolutions the fule pressure read at only 30 psi. The following things have been recently checked/replaced/fixed:
Fuel filter
Spark Plugs
Alternator
Air Filter
AC Compressor (different problem :-p)
Fuel Pump
Throttle Motor
etc. etc. etc.

My mechanic found a problem in a diode in my alternator and traced it to the fuel pump. After replacing the alternator and testing the fuel pump, everything checked out okay, but the problem still exists. Unlike others here, I have never changed my timing belt. After what I read, I'm almost afraid to. My car is at about 85,000. Please, please, please, please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kris_durbin
08-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Okay....after reading some of the comments here, I think I've found the fix. It sounds odd and I've spent hundreds on diagnostics, but the fix was in reality a $16.00 problem. Change your oil to 5W30 and change the oil filter to one with a Flow Back Gasket in it. This prevents the dirty oil that is already in the filter from reentering the motor after the car is shut off. Also, you need to religiously change your oil with the Contour or Mystique. (must be a female.) Now for the higher RMPs (4000 to 5000)hesitating, you need to have the runner control modual looked at. This allows the throttle to open wider to allow greater air flow into the motor. If it's malfunctioning, it does the opposite...therefore the motor gets NO air. Hope this helps everyone else and saves everyone lots of money!

buchanan06
09-18-2005, 06:49 PM
I have been having the same problem with my 2000 Mercury Mystique. Mine got to the point were it hestitated and then died twice, and had to be hauled home. You couldn't even push the gas without the car bogging down. My fiance managed to drive it for a short amount of time by feathering the gas. The next day we called a mechanic. He put it on the computer diagnostic scanner, and no codes came up so he was completely puzzled. Many people thought, as well as myself, that I had gotten bad gas, needed a new fuel filter or pump, or that my transmission waas going out. Someone suggested that we clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, which we did. This has seemed to fix the problem for now. My car is running top notch for the moment-I will keep all of you notified if this solves the problem.

buchanan06
09-25-2005, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=buchanan06]I have been having the same problem with my 2000 Mercury Mystique. Mine got to the point were it hestitated and then died twice, and had to be hauled home. You couldn't even push the gas without the car bogging down. My fiance managed to drive it for a short amount of time by feathering the gas. The next day we called a mechanic. He put it on the computer diagnostic scanner, and no codes came up so he was completely puzzled. Many people thought, as well as myself, that I had gotten bad gas, needed a new fuel filter or pump, or that my transmission waas going out. Someone suggested that we clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, which we did. This has seemed to fix the problem for now. My car is running top notch for the moment-I will keep all of you notified if this solves the problem.[/QUOTE}
Well, the Mass Air Flow sensor didn't fix the problem. Still stalls when it gets below quarter of a tank of gas! Anyone figure out the problem? Contacted Ford to suggest a recall on the Mystique, but haven't received any replies!

greeffs
03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
it seems this problem is ongoing with all the 4 cylinder mystiques . i have just replaced my timing belt and fuel filter as well as all the injector cleaners and still continue to have the hesitation problem described in all the above postings.. Does anyone know the solution to this ?advise is greatly appreciated and feedback will be given

Stevo2
03-04-2006, 01:34 AM
it seems this problem is ongoing with all the 4 cylinder mystiques . i have just replaced my timing belt and fuel filter as well as all the injector cleaners and still continue to have the hesitation problem described in all the above postings.. Does anyone know the solution to this ?advise is greatly appreciated and feedback will be given

Was this hesitation there before you replaced the timing belt?

How many miles on the engine?

Has the problem become progressively worse?

What year is this?

cdavis76
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
I just purchased a 1996 Mercury Mystique 2.0L 4 Cylinders from a friend who had decided he was done with all of the problems. Unlike everyone here, he had decided long ago to stop ADDRESSING those problems. The price was right and I like a challenge, so I went for it. Here's the problem, I have an absolute minimum knowledge about cars. Instead of spending another penny on the car, having already replaced the battery which was the reason it wouldn't start - this time - I've decided to see if I can't just learn about fixing cars by starting with this Mystake. I, too, am having the hesitation problem as is being discussed in this thread and haven't attempted any fixes yet as I just brought the car home yesterday. The last oil change this car received was on June 8, 2005 and it has been driven a total of 2400 miles since. My first course of action is to change the oil (using 5w30 and the filter suggested above), but any suggestions as to what I can do from there would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

greeffs
03-09-2006, 06:51 PM
thanks for the response stevo2
answers : car was fine before timing belt replacement
97 000miles
NO , consistent hesitation
2000 2.0 4 cylinder auto
no engine codes on hand held scanner
have replaced plugs , wires ,filters ,oil and checked the VCT solenoid is OK. no vacuum leaks
yesterday scanned the car with a snap-on unit and it shows timing is good but less than perfect MAF sensor readings Coincidence maybe.?

will76
06-24-2006, 10:46 PM
I have a 2000 Mystique, 95,000 miles, that just started this week giving me the same issue. When I am on the highway it pulls, jerks, feels like it is running out of gas, shifting hard, and the rpms are going crazy. I've noticed twice that the overdrive light has flashed while driving, but eventually turns off. When off the highway going slower, it will do it to a lesser degree and is not as nerve racking, but still occurs. I dont know where this problem will take me and if it will be the same as the other replies.

I have read the stories of people with this issue that have had cars stall, need a certain amount of gas to get up hills or accelerate, but this has not happened yet, again as it has only been occurring for about 5 days now. I just brought it into Autozone for them to check the codes, but nothing came up as with other replies. The Check Engine has not come on at all. A Ford dealership will charge $130 for a full diagnostic test and guarantee they will find the answer and that it will will be under their 12 month/12,000 mile warrenty. However, I believe they will find that it needs a new engine or transmission, which most certainly will fix most problems at the highest rate. I have read the stories of the expense put into diagnostic tests and coming up empty, filters being replaced, fluids being flushed, parts being added or replced to no avail. So what is the way to go?

I did have a new training belt put on at 90,000 miles or 3 months ago at a rate of $1000 at Midas (new spark plugs, various flushes, oil changes, water pump, labor). However, Mystique owners have had this problem both with belt replaced and not replaced. I have read that it can be a transmission issue, and to get it to a transmission shop so that they can run their tests, but dont turn the car off, which will lose the code. I have heard suggestions that it probably is a speed sensor/overdrive sensor/mass air flow sensor, to use a certain air filter, use a certain type of oil-5W 30, and check the runner modual control. I would just like to hear from someone that has had this problem and was able to find a solution or had a mechanic find it. I am not mechanically inclined, but have been tracking this issue on the internet and reading about it here and at contour.com. Do we Mystique owners just give up and deal with it, get new expensive parts to work around it, or get a new vehicle? I just paid the car off and was hoping to keep it for awhile to catch up on other bills. Like others in the Mystique forum, I have the back door loud creaking, the trunk leaking, the warper front dash vent cover popping up, the temperature gauge indicating an overheating (esp. in the winter), and can deal with those small quirks, but this is an issue that is annoying and frustrating, and very prevalent based on the number of stories I have read. I would like to hear from others that have this issue, how long it has been going on, is this doing damage to the car or is it just a another quirk that is a part of the Mystique (maybe why it has that name). Please, if any mechanic or Mercury/Ford solution fixers are out there, have dealt with this and found a solution, help us out.

pharma
07-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Have a Dealer check to see if your getting incorrect gear ratio from the Power Control Module. It might need to be recalibrated. Below is the issue I recently had regarding my 1997 Mystique:

I have a 1997 Mystique with 150000 miles that recently had an issue recently. I was taking a 1 1/2 hour drive when I got a squeaking noise with the air turned on, and the only way to avoid the noise was to turn off the air conditioner. With 1/2 hour to go I noticed the O/D off light began to flash, but was still able to arrive at my destination without suffering any other issues.
On the return trip (w/o air conditioning), the O/D light continued to flash and I seemed to be loosing 1st gear. At stop lights acceleration seemed sluggish, but once up to speed things seemed normal, though going up hills I seemed to be loosing momentum. About with about 20 minutes left on my drive I decided to pull over since the engine really started to get jerky when driving, even though car temperatures were normal. After resting about 5 minutes I started the engine and put it into D, but the car did not move -- I then put it into 2, then 1, then Reverse with the same result. At this point I called a tow truck and went to the car dealer.
The O/D light was operating correctly once the dealer had a chance to look at it, but based on my description they performed a diagnosis and did the following:

1. Replaced bad Bell & Tensioner on Right Side.
2. Found incorrect Gear Ratio and re-calibrated the Power Control Module.
3. Replace CV Boot that Tow truck tore hole in.

So far the car is running perfectly even though it's only been a day. If the problems crop-up again I'll post here to let people know.
Hope this helps... total cost for the above was about $500.00. Power Control Module re-calibration cost about $100.00.

Pharma.

goodburn
08-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Could it be the prindle switch in the transmission????
try that!

Mark Allen
03-22-2007, 09:13 PM
"I have a 2000 Mystique, 95,000 miles, that just started this week giving me the same issue. When I am on the highway it pulls, jerks, feels like it is running out of gas, shifting hard, and the rpms are going crazy. I've noticed twice that the overdrive light has flashed while driving, but eventually turns off. When off the highway going slower, it will do it to a lesser degree and is not as nerve racking, but still occurs. I dont know where this problem will take me and if it will be the same as the other replies. "

Just went through this and both the fuel pump and pump relay driver died at the same time. We also had no spark when it would stall. After the relay was replaced it would start again but stall easily. Took it to the Ford dealer and had the pump replaced, it runs like a champ now.

Also see this thread....
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=460859

pbrittain71
04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Check the acceleration sensor could be your problem!!

pbrittain71
04-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I have a 1998 mystique with a v6 engine!! I had the same problem and what you discribed is what i had problems with!! Get your transmission checked before the wiring harness burns up your transmission!! I lost power going down the road and it would jerk has nothing to do with your fuel system!! I had to replace my transmission and wiring harness not too long ago!! If possible do not drive your car much on the high way but in town maybe okay but not advisable! our cars are electrical so always think electrical before anything else okay dear!!

msvanilla
05-14-2007, 08:45 AM
the answer please check to see if u have a valve cover leak which is causing your spark plus to get wet

vpedwards
09-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Check the ground cable going to the top battery post. The bolts might appear to be tight but that doesn't mean they are. Take the cable off and clean it then put it back on and tighten it down. Do the same with the positive cable. I bought my Contour for junk price because of this problem and even though a professional had installed the battery, he neglected to tighten it down correctly.
Vince

98MystiqueOwner
12-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi, I have a 98 with 134K miles and I noticed right around 100K that it would occasionally sputter or seem to lose power when accelerating, as described in this tread. This problem comes and goes and I can't figure it out. I too have told my mechanic and replace lots of parts but no luck.

Then...I was digging around on these forums and I saw a crazy post where some guy said you have to keep the gas tank above 1/2 full and the sputtering will stop... I was like; "Bull sh"

Well, tonight I got in my car (1/2 tank) and started to drive home. Mostly freeway to some backroads. The whole way, as soon as I got over ~55mph it would start to jerk and hesitate when accelerating. I ended up driving about 1/2 way home and decided to try the filling up idea.

Filled up my car and man!!! no issues. It was like my car got its power back. No more sputtering, car accellerated with no hesitation. The whole rest of the drive home no problem like before, so so far so good.

I'm not sure the gas was the fix. Maybe I just needed to shut the car off to reset something. But, I'm going to try to keep my gas tank above 1/2 for the next week or so and see what happens. I'll post my results in a week.

SimpleMan1981
04-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Hey everyone, I know this post is getting old and I haven't seen anything yet about the possibility of everybody's hesitation problem maybe being related to the (Power Distribution Box) a.k.a. Main fuse panel under dash? A while back I had problems with a blower motor fan (heater fan) that would work when it wanted to and then quit completely. So finally after trying every process of elimination possible, it came down to one of the main leads coming into the firewall going to the main fuse box. Needless to say it was melted to the point of F.U.B.A.R. (Which did cause a massive loss of electrical power to various main components and modules i.e. fuel pump, ignition, wipers, instrument panel etc.) so after repairing that problem temporarily nothing seemed to come up problematic until this hesitation thing started and I was wondering if it all might lead back to the corroded/burnt lead along with the harness's clip/pigtail? shorting out on bumps and might be causing the hesitation?

Add your comment to this topic!