92 pick up idle problem

tsunami420
11-08-2003, 02:05 PM
put a new thermostat in last weekend, and everything went fine until the other day my idle now surges. it almost stalls out at the valley of the surge. does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, i don't think it has anything to do with the thermostat???

5speeder
12-20-2003, 09:47 AM
put a new thermostat in last weekend, and everything went fine until the other day my idle now surges. it almost stalls out at the valley of the surge. does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, i don't think it has anything to do with the thermostat???

Hey tsunami did you ever figure this problem out because I have the same problem??????????????

vrwconspire
01-06-2004, 10:54 PM
I had a rough idling problem and checked the carbs. There was a hose disconnected (small diameter, black) and also the the hose heat return hose (going from valve cover to air intake unit). After connecting these and a dose of Sea Foam top engine cleaner, no more problems.

desmarkus
07-26-2004, 12:53 PM
I have the same problem too, with my 92 rodeo 3.1.

I've spent over a year changing parts with no luck. I finally just turned up my idle to reduce the stalling. still idles rough though.

Not so lucky with the hose though, I don't have any vacuum leaks.

When I unplug (electrical) my map sensor it idles good (although would be impossible to drive) but I changed it and still the same thing.

evofan74
11-30-2004, 03:04 PM
I am having an idle problem on my 1992 pickup. I have changed everything I can think of. I think I am going to do a head swap or total rebuild. I love the truck but it idles like it has BIG CAMS, and it has NO power.... :(

b65pauls
04-02-2005, 07:50 PM
I had an idle problem on my 88 carb. Turns out the shaft bushing on the plate that sits under the carb was worn and the result was a vacuum leak. Put water in a straw and slowly let drip on the shaft. Sucked the water right. $40 (bushing and labor) later , at a carb shop, runs fine!

Add your comment to this topic!