Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is this normal ??

hangcool_sir
11-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Just got a question. I bought an EG6 front cut and did the full conversion including the climate control. Currently I have no aircond as all of it has been released for the conversion. Just wondering is this is normal with the EG6 climate control. Basically, when I have my temperature at max 30 degrees... and when the car is sitting there idling, the temperature the doesnt go up at all. Only when I start driving will the air become hotter. The lever for the fan is not set to AUTO.. just normal fan speed. And the direction of the fan blowing is not set to AUTO either.. just to normal front vent positions. Is it normal for the temperature not going up until my car actually moves ??

rubix777
11-09-2003, 01:28 AM
I'm sure it'll get hot after the engine gets hot. The same thing goes for A/C. If you're going fast on the freeway, the engine heats up faster to produce that hot air.

whtteg
11-09-2003, 09:13 PM
The heater in your car works by transfering the heat from the coolant to the air that tha blower is blowing out. Now if the car is not up to operating temp, the the thermostat will not be open, so the coolant won't be flowing thru the heater core. You have to wait until the car is up to or close to operating temp before the heat works correctly, if the coolant is not hot yet then there will be no heat to transfer. So yes this is normal.

Hybrid1990crx
11-10-2003, 12:56 AM
Are you saying that your thermostat reads that your car is cold? Like if you let it sit at idle for 5 mins does it still read cold? If so than your thermostat is stuck closed. And that is a bad thing I do believe.

cvcc_wagon
11-10-2003, 01:10 PM
thermostat dosnt read anything. it is machanical not electrical, when the coolant heats up it opens a valve

Hybrid1990crx
11-11-2003, 12:17 AM
So you're telling me the thermostat doesn't tell you the temperature of your car? Im confused.

cvcc_wagon
11-11-2003, 12:26 PM
i think you are thinking of a heat sensor, the heat sencor is what your gage reads, as well with a computor controlled engine it probally gives info to other things like cold idle and whatnot. the thermostat is a valve that opens wider as your coolant heats up, it uses a dule metal system of somesort much like a spring thermomiter and is not electronic. it simply lets more coolant through yout engine as it heats up. whtteg was correct in that your car ahs to warm up before the heat will work because no coolant is getting to the heater core when it is cold

Add your comment to this topic!