Axle Pops Out of Tranny

dsmitt
11-06-2003, 11:31 AM
My daughter has a '97 Civic Coupe EX stick shift with 70K. Twice the left axle has popped out of the transmission and she has been towed. Both shafts and cv joints have previously been replaced! What is causing this to happen? The shop keeps popping the thing back in for $90. Help!

Miataracer
11-06-2003, 01:34 PM
that is strange... no where in the travel of the suspension should either of the joints have enough play to pop out of the tranny. since it has been taken to the shop to put back in you would expect that they would notice any kind of serious suspension problem while they are putting the shaft back in. i am guessing you have an incorrect shaft for your car

GScivic7
11-06-2003, 04:26 PM
maybe you have an axle with the wrong number of splines...I'm not sure if that would cause the axle to pop out of the tranny, but then I can't really think of any reason it should

BLU CIVIC
11-06-2003, 04:33 PM
that's what i was thinkin....wrong axle :dunno:

Miataracer
11-06-2003, 05:01 PM
wouldn't be wrong number of splines... if that was the case there would be much more of a problem as the axle either would not go into the tranny at all, or would go in but not match to the teeth causing the splines to just grind inside the tranny

it about has to be too short of an axle...

GScivic7
11-06-2003, 05:58 PM
okay, this really far fetched, but does the 6th gen civics use an intermediate shaft? Maybe they aren't using one and just sticking an axle in that is long enough to work, but not long enough to stay in there....

damir831
11-06-2003, 06:17 PM
Does the shop replace the whole axle or just the shaft? You can get a brand new left axle with everything you need to just replace the whole thing from Autozone for just 60 bucks. I don't know if you can give it to the shop and let them install it for you, but I'd rather pay $50 more and not worry about it, than having to replace the shaft or cv joint every time. Plus, the axle that autozone sells has a lifetime warranty.

93fury
11-07-2003, 01:18 PM
On the inner boot of the axle, near the end of the splines, on the tranny side, there is a circle ring that goes around the splines. It looks useless, but its actually what "clips" the axle in place. Make sure thats there. If its not, youll know it because there will be an empty groove. Ive learned this the hard way. We swapped the tranny, and installed the new axles. One didnt have the clip. As soon as I got to about 15-20 MPH, it popped out. We had the propper axles, I used them for 30K + miles afterwards, it just wasent fastened.

Ricochet
11-07-2003, 01:59 PM
I second the clip idea. I've seen some morons at the shop, but none stupid enough to just slap some axle in there that doesn't fit.

eckoman_pdx
11-08-2003, 12:00 AM
I agree, that clip idea sounds like it might be the cluprit. I would be easy for a less than stellar shop not very knowledgable in Hondas to screw that up and leave it off.

BullShifter
11-09-2003, 01:37 PM
I have seen axles pop out before. 1 reason is because a new "clip" was used on an old axle - its best to use the old clips unless the axle is replaced. Why? I have no idea, it seems that the new clip would be better to use when it's really not.

If it pops out again, take it to the dealer to get fixed properly & then send the bill to the shop that messed things up in the first place.

b's
11-10-2003, 07:46 PM
i'm guessing here but if you have a bad transmission mount or motor mount wouldn't that cause the engine to shift. there for pulling on one side of the axle causeing it pop out or work like it should. try checking your mounts.

93fury
11-11-2003, 12:07 PM
If your engine could shift the 6 inches the axle spline is, then you have some serious problems! If thats the case, dont be suprised when your engine falls ont he floor! Doubt its the mounts, probally the clip.

shmaptoe
11-14-2003, 04:28 PM
i also agree with the clip idea. last weekend i had my castle nut come off and my balljoint came out of my lca- tire went way up into the wheelwell and was not driveable- it ripped my cv joints apart so bad that bearings fell out on the ground, but the axle stayed in the tranny cause the clip was there. because of this nonsense -im on my 3rd axle in the past 3 weeks. thank god for autozone lifetime warranty

eckoman_pdx
11-15-2003, 04:53 AM
i last weekend i had my castle nut come off and my balljoint came out of my lca- tire went way up into the wheelwell and was not driveable- it ripped my cv joints apart so bad that bearings fell out on the ground, but the axle stayed in the tranny cause the clip was there. because of this nonsense -im on my 3rd axle in the past 3 weeks. thank god for autozone lifetime warranty

Dude, thats some bad luck there. That sucks. Hopefully you don't get to a forth axel.

ALEX88
11-21-2003, 04:36 AM
i had a similar problem with my '95 civic, there's a metal bushing in there that keeps the cv joint in proper alignment, had the thing pop out twice on me, had to change that and the bearings. cost me 500 bucks, but runs like a champ now.

Add your comment to this topic!