Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DPS concern/question

DJEuphoriKa
11-05-2003, 03:51 PM
I have an Audi 200 Turbo, and the battery is mounted underneath the rear seat. Can I attach the DPS's ground wire to the chassis instead of the engine block?

There's also a jump-start terminal in the engine bay, but it's only the positive terminal. Is there a way I can connect the DPS to that? Or should I run a ground wire from the unit mounted on the battery to the engine compartment and attach it to the block?

Or am I SOL and should cancel my order. I just found that little detail in the description page about a minute and a half after I placed my order. I hope I can get this thing to work with my car. Oh well. Worse comes to worst, I get all my money back, right?

[edit: also, how long does this thing usually take to arrive?]

dps_japan
11-07-2003, 02:19 AM
I have an Audi 200 Turbo, and the battery is mounted underneath the rear seat. Can I attach the DPS's ground wire to the chassis instead of the engine block?

[edit: also, how long does this thing usually take to arrive?]

You should have no problem whatsoever. What you can do if you want is if you decide to keep the product, you can extend the engine grounding wire and run it to your block. Take the long grey wire and ground it to a good ground. DO NOT connect it to the (-)terminal of your battery.

dps_japan
11-07-2003, 02:21 AM
Our Ferrari had the same problem. We just extended the wire. Worked fine to with just grounding to the body too. Make sure all contact points are cleaned.:smokin:

DJEuphoriKa
11-08-2003, 12:55 PM
*whew*

All I gotta say, though, is this thing better make me soil my pants for the amount of money I'm spending :D

I just gotta make sure I can find a good ground point in the battery compartment. Shouldn't be too hard, though.

igor@af
11-08-2003, 12:59 PM
I am confident you will enjoy the effects of the DPS. Remember that you can return it if you feel unsatisfied for your money back, including shipping. :)

DJEuphoriKa
11-12-2003, 03:01 PM
My DPS arrived, and I managed to find a spot for it in the battery compartment under my back seat (why Audi put it there, I may never know).

I connected the red wire to the red post, blue wire to the black post, and put the silver ground wire on the same bolt where the braided copper cable from the black post meets the chassis, figuring that must be as good a ground as any.

I started up my car, and it took a little while, just like it always does, and reset my stereo code. I put it in Drive and steppd on the gas. It lazily pulled away from the curb, just like it always does. The stereo sounded the same as it always does, and overall, the car felt just like it always does. I still haven't tested the "brighter headlights" claim, but I bet I can fix that for a LOT cheaper.
Throttle response and power application felt the same, and the turbo didn't surge on any sooner than it's normal 3000 rpm.

Should I find a better place to attach the ground wire? Did I hook it up wrong? My boxers are still clean :(

DJEuphoriKa
11-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Ok what I didn't notice was that disconnecting my battery also reset my climate control, which for some reason defaults to AC at 78 degrees. That explains why my car actually seemed a little slower than usual after I put in the DPS. I turned off the AC and THEN the thing started to move, but it wasn't THAT big a difference over what it used to be. Throttle response still isn't any better, and that was the main reason I wanted the DPS. I can get brighter headlights and more horsepower for less money. I'll give this thing a little more time to prove itself, though, just to be fair. Maybe take it on a little trip to LA or San Diego to see how it does on long-distance freeway driving (about 80 miles to LA from here). Around town it has a little more low-end. Still have to test the high-end on the freeway.

So I'm convinced it's not a hoax :) I'm just still not convinced that it's worth $250. Maybe if it was the last modification I could make to my car without pulling the engine and tearing it up, I'd buy it, but my engine is still bone stock and there's a lot of parts I can get, even for my relatively obscure motor, that will probably cost about the same altogether.

hybrid180
11-26-2003, 05:01 PM
Actually the DPS is a hoax. If you check out this link:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=19701&forum=11&1

Also notice that automotive forums have stopped selling the DPS system.

DJEuphoriKa
11-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Well if that's the case I'd better get my f'in money back. I sent it back within the time limit of the return policy.

Where's my baseball bat....

igor@af
11-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Everyone who purchased a unit will get their money back in full regardless of whether it was sent back within the time limit of the return policy.

DJEuphoriKa
12-01-2003, 06:56 PM
cool :D

*puts away the baseball bat*

DJEuphoriKa
12-11-2003, 05:05 PM
When do I get my money back? I sent it back and I have copies of everything that was sent to me. I could REALLY use that money...

igor@af
12-11-2003, 05:22 PM
I have just made a phone call to find out what is going on - your return was only recently received and your money is being refunded right as I am posting this. When did you send the DPS back?

Areku_x
12-12-2003, 04:19 AM
So we need to send it back to receive our money back. Where do i send it to?

DJEuphoriKa
12-13-2003, 11:31 PM
I sent mine back Nov. 25.

454Casull
12-13-2003, 11:55 PM
I figured it was a scam. No technical information, and what I could piece together made no practical sense.

DJEuphoriKa
12-19-2003, 08:20 PM
i got my money back. i'm a happy camper once again. now to blow it all on christmas shopping (though admittedly i can buy quite a few cool gifts for that much money)

Add your comment to this topic!