Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Ram 5.9L, Gravel like noise

Mtngoat
11-05-2003, 12:53 PM
I have a 99 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500 (108,000 miles). I have had a LIST of problems, but I tend to fix them before they become a major. I am hoping someone has had a similar problem, and make this an easy fix for me.

I just started hearing a gravel-like sound in the last two days. When I first heard the sound from the cab, and it sounded like water gurgulling...I thought it was my AC or something to do with the defroster on. I couldn't even hear it with the radio on.

This morning I was listening more carefully, and this time I popped the hood for a look. The sound was quite evident and gravel like (water cavitating or rough bearing noise) once i got out of the truck. At first glance, I thought it might be the AC compressor because that is the loaction of the sound. The sound changes tone when I turn the AC on and off(less witht the AC on), but the sound is evident in both cases. I had a few friends at work take a look at it (one has a 96 Ram), and had two possible conclusions. One it is the waterpump going out (no leak yet), or it is AC compressor related. Could it just be that I am low on refrigerant? Water pump going out :( ?? If it is the waterpump, do i need to replace it ASAP? The Ram owner is pretty sure it is the water pump, but I think I am in denial! I was hoping to have a few weekends off of working on the truck.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sexy beast
11-05-2003, 01:00 PM
use a stethoscope to make sure where the noise is coming from. If its the ac I would ignore it till it blowing blowing hot air.

Mtngoat
11-10-2003, 05:43 PM
I picked up a belt for the truck "without AC" and ran the truck...no noise. So, now I know the noise is the AC, but I am fairly sure it is the clutch bearing. The noise stops, or lessens dramatically, with the AC running. Also, I believe the bearing might be close to failing because a burning rubber smell is coming from the engine. My next question would be, can you replace the clutch? The entire unit costs over $300 plus a re-charge. I would like to avoid both if possible.

Thanks for any help.

ezaktly
12-03-2003, 07:55 AM
I heard a noise similar to what you are describing in my dodge except I thought it was the brushes rubbing in the alternator. Weeks passed and I did nothing, then driving down the hiway the motor started getting hot eventually I got off to check it out. The belt had come off and wrapped around the fan. I put it back on and started the car, the sound had gotten worse and the problem was apparent, the fan was wobbling, bad bearings in the water pump. I am going to replace this component. If anyone has any tips please post them. I need the best understanding as possible to avoid any errors or future failures.

Add your comment to this topic!