Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No fuel pump run 1997 3.1 Grand am

68ragtop
11-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Trying to diagnose my 97 Grand am. It was an intermitant problem, but now appears to be perminant. IT would crank, & not start. But once it would start, the car would continue to run, with no problems. Now, it will not start at all. I cannot hear the fuel pump kick in for the 2 second prime, so I am thinking pump, or relay. Can anyone tell me what realy is for the pump? I would really like to find the wire colors for it, so I can verify I have the right one. Someone re-arainged the order.

Should the relay energize for the first 2 seconds? If that is the case, that might help me find it.

Thanks much

GMMerlin
11-05-2003, 01:06 PM
The fuel pump relay is located in the underhood electrical center.
You can check the electrical portion of the fuel pump system by disconnecting the connector at the tank and installing a test light on the gray wire.
The light should come on when the key is turned on For the 2 second prime) and while the engine is being cranked.
If the light comes on then most likely you need a pump.

68ragtop
11-05-2003, 01:26 PM
HHHmmmm. Thats what I am afraid of. I found the relay by leaving the ign switch on, then disconecting the battery terminal. Then I could feel which one was clicking for the 2 second prime. Then, I swapped it with another relay. Same problem. So, it is lloking like a fule pump, unless I have a bad connector somwhere.

Good thing I just filled the fuel tank the other day. It should be nice & heavy ;)

Thank you for your insight. I found a salvage yard that will sell a pump for $50.00 I plan to sell this lemon car, so I don't want to spend too much on a new pump.

Thanks again

bmtphoenix
11-05-2003, 05:21 PM
HHHmmmm. Thats what I am afraid of. I found the relay by leaving the ign switch on, then disconecting the battery terminal. Then I could feel which one was clicking for the 2 second prime. Then, I swapped it with another relay. Same problem. So, it is lloking like a fule pump, unless I have a bad connector somwhere.

Good thing I just filled the fuel tank the other day. It should be nice & heavy ;)

Thank you for your insight. I found a salvage yard that will sell a pump for $50.00 I plan to sell this lemon car, so I don't want to spend too much on a new pump.

Thanks again

Check www.gmpartsdirect.com. If I remember correctly, mine was about $60 from them, new. You would probably be better of spending the extra $10 just to make sure the thing works at all.

68ragtop
11-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Well, after all of that, I found out the ignition switch was my problem.
O-well, at least its fixed, Now I just need to get the car running correct again.

Add your comment to this topic!