Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Century 2000 coolant

Peter Solarik
11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Have purchased used Century 2000 last June with 31.000 km on odometer. I am happy with the car in general.
Since it is getting closer to the winter temperatures (here in Canada), I decided to check the coolant 'potency'. To my dissmay, when I removed the rad cap, inside on the neck wall was an ugly brownish deposit, rubbery and fouly smelling. THe liquid appeared (in the plastic resevoir) clean, redish color. I measured the liquid (minus zero Celsius) protection and it indicated 'Good to -37 degree Celsius. I know that should be sufficient. I read somwhere that the GM factory installed coolant is no good and has tendency to break down prematurely and clog the engine.
I would like to know whether I should have the rad flushed and coolant replaced? Can I wait another year?
Can I switch to different sort of coolant? Please advice.....
New to Buick :

tman
11-05-2003, 04:59 PM
The red coolant is GM Dex-Cool. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE. The car is designed for that specific coolant, anything else, and you'll have problems.if the coolant looks clean, then you should have no problems.

Flatrater
11-05-2003, 09:13 PM
To set the record striaght it is not GM coolant but Texaco coolant.

The deposit you see according to GM is the sealant that the factory puts in to help prevent leaks. it will not hurt the engine.

Its a good idea to check the freeze protection of the coolant but you should check the most important thing which is the acid content of the coolant. If the acid level goes high enough it will eat the metal. If you want take a meter to the coolant. One lead in the coolant and the other on the engine. If it read a voltage like over .5 volt you have too much acid in the coolant and need to replace it.

There is nothing stopping you from changing your coolant type the only difference is the time frame for replacing the coolant. The Dex-cool is good for 5 year and 150,000 miles and the green is good for 2 year 24,000 miles. its your car and it really doesn't matter on what coolant you have except that it protects you from freezing.

tman
11-05-2003, 09:23 PM
listen to Flatrater, he's smarter, I need to go chew my cousin out for telling me what i posted above.

harnest
09-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Both of you are wrong!...DO NOT USE DEXCOOL Coolant! Read about the Class Action Lawsuit and also read about how GM got out of it by its recent filing bankruptcy!

Click here: Dex Cool Litigation Website

Click here: Girard Gibbs LLP- GM Dex-Cool/ Intake Manifold Gasket Class Action

BNaylor
09-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Both of you are wrong!...DO NOT USE DEXCOOL Coolant! n

I disagree. So I guess all three of us are wrong now. :rolleyes:

This thread has been closed.

'97ventureowner
09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Both of you are wrong!...DO NOT USE DEXCOOL Coolant! Read about the Class Action Lawsuit and also read about how GM got out of it by its recent filing bankruptcy!

Click here: Dex Cool Litigation Website

Click here: Girard Gibbs LLP- GM Dex-Cool/ Intake Manifold Gasket Class Action

How could GM "get out of it by filing bankruptcy"? Most if not all the claims that were approved under the settlement have been paid already. I received my check a long time ago. If yo look at how many millions of vehicles that Dex Cool was installed in from the factory since 1996, and the amount of complaints, you will see that it is a rather small amount. :shakehead:

Add your comment to this topic!