Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 with 87-92 parts?

FDannels
11-04-2003, 01:35 PM
I just bought an 86 RX-7. I want to learn about the rotary engines and build a 10 second car! Can I put later model 13B parts on my 86?

FDannels
11-04-2003, 05:33 PM
I am also have a very hard time unflooding the engine. I even went as far as to pull the plugs, and the fuse. Turnned it over for 30 sec, 3 times. Then put ATF fluid in the plug holes, put everything back together. And it's still flooded. I heard smoeone say that when most people think it's flooded, that it's just the computer going bad. Does anyone know anything that might help?

rotary911porsche
11-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Yes, you can put a later model 13B in your car. I have a friend with a 1988 street driven car that runs low 10's. It is ported, runs a large turbo and nitrous. He still has a full interior. So stripped he could see high nines.

Flooding engine: In my experience it often means the engine has low compression. If this is true you will need a rebuild soon. Possible an injector is sticking open. An easy fix is to install a fuel pump cut off switch. If the engine floods, turn the fuel pump off, crank until it fires and then restart the fuel pump. My friend with the 10 second car often revs his motor just before killing it. The injectors cut off while the engine is still turning, leaving no fuel in the rotors. He claims it helps.
When you kill the engine, the fuel system remains pressurized. There is a kit to relieve the fuel pressure when the engine is not running. It connects the high pressure and return fuel lines with a small opening similar to a carb jet. The excess pressure then slowly bleeds off. This should cure the problem if it is a leaking injector.

If you are in a hurry it is possible to simply crimp the high pressure fuel line with a wrench while someone cranks the engine. As soon as it starts, release the wrench. I do NOT recommend this procedure except in an emergency. If your fuel line is not in very good shape, you could have a fire.

Are your spark plugs in good condition? Are you sure you are getting a good spark?

Hope this helps.

FDannels
11-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks. I was working on it last night, and found out it wasn't flooded at all. But I did get it running with a (Whole) can of starter fluid. Found out the fuel pump is dead. One of the guys at the shop, I use, has an 87. He said to hooke the battery strait to the pump...well, nothing happened. So, does anyone know which is the best pump to use? I eventually want to run high 9's... if possible.

Add your comment to this topic!