Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

the rotary

PH34R DRFT
11-03-2003, 08:45 PM
hello everyone...

I have been a long time fan of Rx7s but I am kinda a newb to the rotary..I know how it works and everything but as far as how to take care of them in all I don't really know much other than to change oil every 2500-3k and don't run for a short time then turn off...but what are some other things. like whats the best oil to use and I read somewhere that the gas type you use(reular,premeium,blah) doesn't really matter because its a rotary. is this true and what else should i know..

I'm looking at a 88 turbo around here...also will the tail lights from a 89-91 rx7 fit right onto a rx7 from 85-88?

Soyo
11-03-2003, 09:50 PM
theres not a whole lot to worry about that I can think of besides the normal minor things you have to keep up with on any car

I think the tail lights should fit because if I'm correct they just changed the lense style not the acctual fixture part itself

concerning the gas: me and my cousin both have an rx7(him 88 me 91, both non-tubo) and we use the 91 octane gas with STP fuel treatment, it'll raise your octane and keep your pump and injectors clean and you'll run real nice, I'd say it will help out a little, plus should help it run better, better the octane the better your car will run(from my experiences and other people I know)

I use castrol gsx in mine, seems to be working fine to me, but if you want the BEST you can get 'royal purpal' http://www.racingbeat.com/FRmazda2.htm just go there and scroll to the bottom, that is definately the best you'll find, you'll always get your moneys worth at racing beat

PH34R DRFT
11-03-2003, 10:32 PM
thanks soyo...nice feedback

Jims5543
11-03-2003, 10:52 PM
Non - Turbo you can run regular unleaded and not have any problems.

On a turbo model you will want to run as high of octane as you can get. We have 93 in this area. 91 should be fine. Do not try to run 87 or the regular Unleaded fuel. Not good when it comes to turbo application.

Then first things I would change for new (and have)
1. Spark plugs / wires
2. Fuel Filter
3. Air Cleaner
4. Oil / Filter

Next - Get some heavy guage wire from the autoparts store and gound off your engine real good. Then ground the ECU to the floor of the car then the fuse block under the hood to the fender. These cars are famous for not being grounded well.

I would also consider doing this to my car. Its called the ATF treatment. I had done it to my TII and noticed a differance in its performance. Here is a write up:
http://www.nopistons.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2451

Here are the factory Manuals in PDF format if you want to download them as well:
http://www.nopistons.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2457

Enjoy your RX-7 and have fun.

Chevyracincamaro
11-04-2003, 11:05 AM
the tail lights are a strait up replacement except for the center piece that goes between the two tail lights...it fits but mazda changed the position of the key hole in 91 so you would have to fill it in and paint over it...but other than that everything else said here i agree with

Add your comment to this topic!