Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ls -> type r engine?

andera
11-03-2003, 04:37 PM
In the future i have some plans for my '94 LS. In a couple of months all new suspension (springs/shocks/sway bars/strut bars/etc). Then I'm thinking I/H/E. After that I want to either do a Turbo LS/Vtec or swap for a Type R engine. their's a lot of infor on the ls/vtec so i'll do research instead of asking here. however for the type r swap i cant find much out there. So here are my questions.

1) How much would the entire swap cost, would i be able to do it for 6,000?

2) Would the swap be better than a turbo'ed ls/vtec?
3) what are all the parts for the itr swap that i'd need?
4) what do you think about the itr engine swap?

thanks!

KrNxRaCer00
11-04-2003, 06:08 AM
In the future i have some plans for my '94 LS. In a couple of months all new suspension (springs/shocks/sway bars/strut bars/etc). Then I'm thinking I/H/E. After that I want to either do a Turbo LS/Vtec or swap for a Type R engine. their's a lot of infor on the ls/vtec so i'll do research instead of asking here. however for the type r swap i cant find much out there. So here are my questions.

1) How much would the entire swap cost, would i be able to do it for 6,000?

2) Would the swap be better than a turbo'ed ls/vtec?
3) what are all the parts for the itr swap that i'd need?
4) what do you think about the itr engine swap?

thanks!

1. yes, u can do it for under 6k (find the right seller/installer)
2. no, unless u plan on building the motor (or else its not going to handle much boost)
3. motor/tranny/ecu etc...pretty basic swap.
4. personally, unless u really plan on spending a LOT of cash on the motor, then ur not going to get the results u'd like. yes, its an AWESOME motor, but its not the most ideal motor for boost on a more limited budget.

Sid77
11-04-2003, 07:17 AM
The ITR motor is highly expensive and depending on the year of your car and the year of the motor your getting it is a fairly simple swap. I can't really say which one of those things I would do because for the price of either swap you could have a built turbocharged LS motor that could be seriously quick.

andera
11-04-2003, 08:37 AM
thanks guys. I think i didnt get what i was thinking about out clearly. i'm thinking about 1 of two things with the engine.

1) rebuild LS engine, vtec it, add a turbo charger.
2) just simply add type r engine.

I like the type r engine because of the high revving. to me that's funner. but i dont know if it's worth the $$ when i can get a turboe's ls/vtec. i d k... i have lots of time to think about it. i'm just gathering ideas/opinions right now.

90gs
11-04-2003, 10:49 AM
if you're building a car just for racing i'd do the turbo lsvtec. a car for daily driving plus track on occaision i'd do the b18c5, it would be more reliable and need less maintenance.

IMO the type r engine is not worth what it costs. it costs like 5500, while a b18c1 which could be EASILY built to far surpass the type R engine costs like 3500. i dont know of anyone who has done this but i think you should buy a spoon engine. you could get a b16 rebuilt and overhauled by spooon, or a b18c1.. i'm sure that would make for a very quick lil car.

http://www.modacar.com/products/Acura/Integra/MODAEnAs/

they're $5010. cheaper than the type r engine.

KrNxRaCer00
11-05-2003, 06:15 AM
if you're building a car just for racing i'd do the turbo lsvtec. a car for daily driving plus track on occaision i'd do the b18c5, it would be more reliable and need less maintenance.

IMO the type r engine is not worth what it costs. it costs like 5500, while a b18c1 which could be EASILY built to far surpass the type R engine costs like 3500. i dont know of anyone who has done this but i think you should buy a spoon engine. you could get a b16 rebuilt and overhauled by spooon, or a b18c1.. i'm sure that would make for a very quick lil car.

http://www.modacar.com/products/Acura/Integra/MODAEnAs/

they're $5010. cheaper than the type r engine.

cept...spoon motors aren't really "daily" driven cars.

and they're MUCH better for auto-x/race than 1/4 times...(still would post nice 1/4 et's, but better in the others listed)

90gs
11-05-2003, 10:17 PM
yea i knew about the autox stuff... very much an endurance engine. still be nice to see someone do it... i dont think ive ever seen someone do it.

KrNxRaCer00
11-06-2003, 04:30 AM
yea i knew about the autox stuff... very much an endurance engine. still be nice to see someone do it... i dont think ive ever seen someone do it.

very tru...

have yet to see a fully built spoon motor (only seen motors w/ various spoon parts).

andera
11-06-2003, 08:38 AM
so whats the low down on the spoon engine? I'm interested in the fact that nobody does this. I'd still need this car from 6k to 12k miles a year, as i'll still be in college. It'll be a daily driver and autoX (whenever possible :-D hehe). I'm really considering rebuilding the b18b, throwing a b18c1 head on it and the putting a turbo kit on it. I'm gonna research the spoon engine now though. the real question is will it outperform/outpower an lsvtec/turbo

EDIT: http://www.inlinefour.com/spoonbserena.html <- that does look pretty damn sweet, even for 6,000$

also new jdm type r engine swap: http://www.modacar.com/products/Acura/Integra/MODACOEn/ $5500 is the spoon engine originally a type r? looks like it...

Add your comment to this topic!