Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bought 98 Civic, need help on keyless entry

T!mmy
11-03-2003, 04:01 PM
I got a 98 Civic Ex and they installed a new Head Unit but so that they could keep the keyless entry the did the little ghetto thing and slid the factory HU behind the console keeping it plugged up and installed the new one...although the problem is that they have apparently lost the remote and now I have to go out and pay 80, 80 FUCKING BUCKS for a remote but I'm worried they won't be able to reprogram the remote since it isn't in place like it should be...has anyone ran into this problem?

i64X
11-04-2003, 09:35 AM
I had a Pioneer head unit in my 97 EX and had the stock unit shoved behind the dash just like you've got yours now. You should be able to get a pair at the Honda dealer for that $80 bucks. If you ask for one sometimes they'll just sell you one for $80, but two come in a box, so you should get both of them. I had to replace mine after it died, and was told that I could either get one for $80 or two for $80. I bought the pair, obviously, and sold the other on eBay and got some of my money back (only like $20 or so, but still, better than nothing).

Anyway, they'll come with instructions on how to reprogram the remotes. There's a button on the front of the stock headunit that you DO have to press and hold while yuo do stuff with the remote. When I reprogrammed mine, I just had to take my lower dash off and pull the stock head unit out enough to push that button, then shoved it back in when I was done. You'll have to do this every time you have to reprogram your remote and it's a pain in the ass.

With the deck being back there, the only wires you NEED connected to it are the constant power and ground wires. If you don't have those babies hooked up, the keyless won't work.

I didn't see any loss of range when I stuffed mine in my dash. I should still unlock and lock the car from about 100 yards away... unlocking it from my apartment while it was sitting in the parking lot wasn't a problem through the window, and that's atleast a good 50 yards or so. If the signal can go through the metal body of the car, going through a plastic dash isn't really an issue. :)

T!mmy
11-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Ight I appreciate it dude that's exactly what I was wondering.

T!mmy
11-04-2003, 10:24 AM
SO wait can I get one off ebay and install it? or does Honda have to give you the codes to input?

i64X
11-04-2003, 10:27 AM
You can use one off eBay if it's compatible with your car. Just check the auction descriptions and ask the sellers. You could also call a dealer and get an exact part number. The one for my 97 EX had a lock, unlock, Panic, and "Option" button on it. I'm seeing a lot of them with trunk buttons on them instead of "Option" buttons. I'm not sure if those'd work with the 6G Civics or not. You'd have to check.

If you can find a compatible one, you can program it yourself (You'll have to find instructions), but there are no special codes to put in or anything... just hold a button on the remote and hold a button on the face of the stock stereo (or something like that) to sync em up and that's it. :)

T!mmy
11-04-2003, 12:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33723&item=2440291336

:D

i64X
11-04-2003, 12:33 PM
That'd be the one. :)

T!mmy
11-04-2003, 01:07 PM
That'd be the one. :)
Yea I bid on it...now I just hope it works

Add your comment to this topic!