Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Why are Anime male characters so feminine?

Sexy beast
11-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Yeah, so why are the male anime characters so feminine. They all have like exagerated eyelashes, hair and clothes no straight guy would wear. I was looking at some screenshots of the last Vampire Hunter D and D looks like he should be doing Revlon comercials, what's the deal? His face looks so feminine for a warrior, no wrinkles facial hair or anything. Also what's with Duo and Hiro from Gundam Wing?

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/animerelm/images/MainBanner.bmp

that picture says it all! I mean come on am I missing something?
I look at Japanese bands like "Dir en grey" and "Shazna" and a thousand like them...Japanese male rock bands that dress like women. Its not just a few bands, it's a musical movement. What's going on with Japanese guys?:gay:

Motor Eyes
11-03-2003, 05:56 PM
haha i see your point. i agree, i have a few american girls on my contact lists, and they absolutely love the japanese guys that dress like girls in bands. the features long hair, black nails, black everything plus the hair is either red pink or blue but dead straight long, hgih heels or something, stockings.... make up? ..........-> !!!:puke:!!!

okay. so maybe the creators of the particualre anime is gay. maybe he fantasises about gays?

well right? thers a load of gay anime.. long ass stories abuot some gay anime guy meeting his true love , thats a guy aswell? yet they both look like girls? either that, or one of them is a girl lookalike, school uniform, long hair in a band.. and the other guy is either older and looks like a fag with short hair and tucked in pink shirt and short pants?

WERID!!!! i say....................WEIIIRD :sly:

Sexy beast
11-03-2003, 06:39 PM
well right? thers a load of gay anime.. long ass stories abuot some gay anime guy meeting his true love , thats a guy aswell? yet they both look like girls? either that, or one of them is a girl lookalike, school uniform, long hair in a band.. and the other guy is either older and looks like a fag with short hair and tucked in pink shirt and short pants?

WERID!!!! i say....................WEIIIRD :sly:

Yeah you're right!! :sly: :sly: :sly: there are like a million sites about Duo and Heero's ambiguous relationship like this one:
http://www.gwyaoi.org/snickerfics/fics/RelenasAStalker.html
and this one:
http://www.croik.com/essays/gundamwing/heero-duo.jpeg
look at how Heero casually rests his hand on Duo's shoulder. Imagine if this was a poster of Maveric(Tom Cruise) and Goose for the movie Top Gun, they sure as hell wouldn't pose like that.

Motor Eyes
11-03-2003, 06:50 PM
hahaha.... thats fowl ;/
those sites are a good example of it.
damn... i duno y but it pisses me off.
someone sent me a link to some website once, and seeing as they really liked it, i didnt get a description of what exactly it was untill i went to it myself.
so the story line was gay. literally. started off with this teacher at this school, and everyone thought he was a she, long hair, dress, big eyes bla dee flippidee dee flop, and his student thats a little girl in a school dress. the story ends, that they both end up sleeping with eachother and its a true love end of story, happy ending.
then theres some... really fucked up people posting messages underneath it saing that "holy shit what a ncie ending" or " i lvoe it" ..... NO!!!!! what kind of crap is that? does it make >anime< look better? is that how anime is described these days? hell yea it is. anime nowadays, is all about homosexualism. lesbians, gays... fark. even pedophiles. and its alywas a happy ending. DIE DIE!!

i like anime. and thers only a few that i like. but theyve jsut gone out of hand now. the shit you read and watch on tele, is just nasty.

where the hell, is that link

Motor Eyes
11-03-2003, 06:53 PM
oh yea that link u sent ... this is what i noticed

"""Relena started to wonder why he didn't want to dive down a toilet with her.

"I will survive!" Heero cried, flushing the toilet and staggering back.

"Heeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooo!" she screamed as she was sucked back down."""

and this is what i have to say :spit: :lol2:

slave
11-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Bring back Akira, he was hard. ;)

Motor Eyes
11-03-2003, 08:18 PM

hell yes!!!

slave
11-03-2003, 08:51 PM

"Heeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooo!" she screamed as she was sucked back down."""

Sounds like a scene out of Trainspotting.

But yeah Akira was hard core, the bikes, the way the cop gets shot... nice..

NSX-R-SSJ20K
11-05-2003, 07:47 AM
I disagree the male anime characters don't look feminine when compared with female characters.

PS Gundam Wing's characters are supposed to be teenagers so they made them look a lot wimpier than the actual blokes.

Sexy beast
11-05-2003, 10:12 AM
PS Gundam Wing's characters are supposed to be teenagers so they made them look a lot wimpier than the actual blokes.

Ok, that makes sense...but what's with the ambiguous money shots of them? Don't tell me you don't find anything "peculiar" about them. Just look at the links I posted. :sly: :sly: :sly: :sly:

Sexy beast
11-05-2003, 10:14 AM

Yeah, if you watch the show...you'll notice that Relena is aware and jealous of Duo and Heero's "relationship."
:eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

Sexy beast
11-05-2003, 10:17 AM

Akira was and still is the best. They all have manly haircuts, they savagely beat up the clowns, and they don't have any fairy dust and sparkles floating around when they finght.

BTW, did you ever see Gundam G? Why is it that everythime the guys transform into their Gundams and get into those tights...they always zoom in on their butts. And the announcer guy at the beggining of the show....he has a mustache and a flamboyant demeanor with an outfit to match. :eek7: :eek7:

Los
11-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Hidden inuendo that many of the designers and artists are really... homosexually denied? :dunno:

Sexy beast
11-05-2003, 03:17 PM
homosexually denied

What does that mean????

Sexy beast
11-05-2003, 04:23 PM
What does that mean????

get a load of this shot!!
http://silver_wisps.tripod.com/cgi-bin/mix17.jpg

Motor Eyes
11-05-2003, 04:34 PM
damn..... dude u gotta admit that the male characters look feminine.
everyone sees that. unless theyre stupid. ims orry but thats just the way it is. they dont draw male characters well anough, i htink anyway.

alltho unless youre gay. ull like it.

they never give the those characters the features a male has. like Sexy Beast mentioned, the hair, mustache watever, or even muscles. for eg, WOG or MC arent "anime movies" or show, but its anime. yet the male characters actually look like males. which is good. AND theryre not gay or lesbian or watever.

omg this pisses me off. i HATE gays. ;/ and anime like that, makes it even worse

slave
11-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Awwww, lol. I have to admit though, the whole "gay" and "soft" thing doesnt always ring true. I mean, my mate, Malaysian, 5'10, 98kg's PURE muscle, unarmed combat martial arts school for 4 years straight working for 6 hours a day at LEAST, EVERY day is gay, and he'd belt you up in your car.

But yeah, and Evangelion, that was faminine, I mean he had this huge super robot etc etc and he was a whiny little bitch.

Motor Eyes
11-05-2003, 05:34 PM
no!!!!! no gay!

slave
11-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Is this a thread for anime or should it be stress release for homophobia?

Motor Eyes
11-06-2003, 03:04 AM
:D ah you know it slave.

trevolutionist
11-06-2003, 07:55 AM
This is coming from a die-hard anime fan (that being me). The art in most anime is drawn to be a mix of former Japan and modern Japan. If you briefly study Japanese history you'll see that the clothes worn by the Japanese men and the length of their hair also appeared feminine. Great warriors wore large robes symbolizing their accomplishments and they let their hair grow out as some odd honor symbol. So these guys looking feminine is linked back to the Japanese history of some form honor and strength. Anyway about the yaio thing with Heero and Duo. There isn't a single series I know of that doesn't have stuff like that written about it. The other connection between Duo and Heero being that they both were great warriors and formed a silent bond or something (or maybe they're gay who cares?). And in Evangelion, I wouldn't be calling him gay cuz he fucked Asuka AND Rei and kissed Misato. He was a pussy but the boy was a pimp.

but of course I agree that Akira was the shit.

Motor Eyes
11-06-2003, 08:36 AM
bla bla bla bla -couldnt be bothere reading blabber-

all i understand is akira is the shit. yes he is :D

slave
11-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Ha ha, he was a pimp, in Evangelion, WHAT THE FUCK was the purpose of the fucking penguin?? It used to freak me out, ha ha!!!

And yup, Akira is Japanese for "Slave CRX" lmfao.

Layla's Keeper
11-10-2003, 02:46 AM
All right, for those who missed trelvolutionist's post, I'll add in my :2cents:

The "feminine" look of many modern anime men is actually part and parcel to the large number of female character designers involved in modern series and to the growing number of female fans.

In the case of Gundam Wing, the character designer was Shuko Murase an alumnus of Gasaraki and who went on to design the characters in the recent hit Argentosoma.

You see, Gundam, as a franchise, took serious damage in the early 90's because of the end of the Universal Century arc and the general crappiness of G Gundam. Thus, it was decided that Gundam needed to be revamped to appeal to girls as well as boys in order to bring in better ratings and replenish Sunrise's finances.

In the 80's, the line between shojo (girl's) and shonen (boy's) anime was very clear. Shojo had the girlish men, soap opera-esque romances, and was dripping with angst. Perfect examples were shows like Boys Be. On the other hand, shonen was all the action you could handle. Master Keaton, Crying Freeman, and Akira were shonen to the core.

But once the two were able to mix freely and it was shown that it could be highly HIGHLY profitable, we started getting anomalies like Weis Kruez and Rurouni Kenshin, until it has gotten to the point now where the traditional shojo series is all but extinct, but bishonen (pretty boy) characters now run rampant in shonen anime.

Thus, even the most macho characters created now, unless they're old men like Jet Black, need to be attractive to women in order to "sell" an anime. This is only untrue of arthouse and truly adult anime such as Jin Roh or Perfect Blue.

Motor Eyes
11-10-2003, 02:48 AM
hahaha :screwy: damn

Sexy beast
11-10-2003, 10:45 AM
I haven't watched anime in 5 years. :disappoin

dolores cnut
12-01-2003, 12:20 PM
OMFG. As a veteran fangirl, I just had to take a look at this thread. It was linked from a weblog and described as an example of homophobia in anime fandom.

I suppose the circles I move in must be getting too small, I didnt realise there were still anime fans out there who hadnt been subjected to japan's best export, homoeroticism. As Layla's keeper points out, the effeminate character designs are there to appeal to a female audience. As are the J-rock boys :iceslolan

Just about all the manga I read are homoerotic (or at the very least feature very pretty boys and a lot of sexual tension) and are written for an entirely female readership. When a fangirl does read something shounen, it dosent take a lot imagination to convince yourself what's going on behind the scenes.

Just to let you know, the girls will easilly out-hentai the boys, anytime.
Oh, and that the girly boys only appeal to girls. Take a look at the /real/ gay manga it's all muscle and jockstraps and so on. :(

@ trevolutionist, the whole samurai/bushido/warrior tradition in Japan was based on glorified boy-love, that was imported with buddhism and stayed until the 1800's. Nowadays, it's the bits their embarassed to put in the history books...

Shinji in Eva wasnt gay, he was just a whiny little bitch. Now, Kaoru on the other hand...I liked him a lot. XD. Especially in the showerscene.

Okay, I'll take my filthy XX chromosomes far away and never come back now. If you are intersted in seeing the dark side of anime, may I suggest http://aestheticism.com (or find me at http://nijikon.net).

And if any of you hot blooded car-fancying males are actually still single (shock horror) may I suggest you grow your hair, invest in some mascara and practice those tragic uke poses. :rofl:

titutus
12-02-2003, 05:21 AM
sorry but don't understand too ????

Sexy beast
12-02-2003, 11:39 AM
It was linked from a weblog and described as an example of homophobia in anime fandom.

Where? what do you mean?!?

Motor Eyes
12-02-2003, 05:26 PM
hardly :uhoh:

slave
12-03-2003, 12:39 AM
I'd headbutt shinji. At least Akira had a killer bike. ;)

Sexy beast
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Ditto! Tetsuo would kick Shinji's gay leotard wearing ass into next Tuesday!!

Add your comment to this topic!