Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuse box info

agwhite1014
11-02-2003, 07:53 PM
i installed some new pedals on my car today and (i didnt realize when i bought them) they have blue lights in them for a glow effect. i read the directions and it said i could use the fuse box to power the lights... well i thought, yes im sure i could if i knew how. so my question is, how do i run power fro mthe fuse box.
the pedals are quest by the way if anyone has these...
thx in advance for any help

Racincc85
11-06-2003, 10:49 AM
there are one of two ways you can do this: One that is clean, and one that is not so clean. You first have to find out the current draw (in amps) of the pedals. Once you find that out, pick a circuit that has a large enough fuse (large amp rating) that you can safely connect the pedals and not cause an overload. If you want the pedals to turn on and off with the ignition, pick a circuit that is switched on and off by the ignition. Once you have determined what circuit you are going to use, then you have to decide which way you are going to run the wiring. The not so clean way is to remove the fuse, wrap the bare end of the wire around one of the prongs, and stick it back in its socket. This will work, but its not very professional. The other way is to run the wiring back behind the fuse box and tap the circuit from behind. I hard wired my radar detector this way. The remote trunk release circuit in my car is switched, so i ran a jumper wire from that fuse to an unused socket in my fuse box. I put in a 2 amp fuse for the radar dectector in that space, and then from there i ran power to the radar detector. The purpose of having a second fuse is that is something were to short out in the radar dectector, it would blow the 2 amp fuse before it blew the larger one for the trunk release, thus allowing me to still use the trunk release. This is something you should consider, it can save lots of headaches.

Add your comment to this topic!