Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbo: Vtec or no Vtec

projectsilvia97
11-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Is it better to turbo a vtec engine or a non vtec engine? I was thinking of turboing a B18C1, but i heard that the vtec cams have overlap which is not turbo friendly. i was also planning on swappin in the ls 5th gear into the gsr tranny for better gas mileage and such. now, i'm thinking about doing a b18b or a b20. i would resleeve the b20, since the block is weak, but that is all i know as of know. any info would be great. thanks.

gebel
11-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Is it better to turbo a vtec engine or a non vtec engine? I was thinking of turboing a B18C1, but i heard that the vtec cams have overlap which is not turbo friendly. i was also planning on swappin in the ls 5th gear into the gsr tranny for better gas mileage and such. now, i'm thinking about doing a b18b or a b20. i would resleeve the b20, since the block is weak, but that is all i know as of know. any info would be great. thanks.
Well Honda engines are not design to be turbo charged due to their high compression ratio! Honda tech uses Vtec instead to get their power wich is much more reliable & good trootle response etc.

So if you are plannind to turbo a vtec engine you have to lower the compression and lose a lot of its stock power!

So in my oppinion do not turbo charge but keep it n/a altough the power u can reach is limited compared to forced induction but either way you could use No2! just replace the pistons for some durable forged ones.

projectsilvia97
11-03-2003, 09:44 PM
so what your saying is that i should just boost the normal ls engine, or the normal b20? no vtec?

KrNxRaCer00
11-04-2003, 06:10 AM
honestly, its a never ending arguement, each type of motor has its advantages/disadvantages to boosting.

really jus depends on the depth of ur wallet, and wut u'd like to run (et's)

boosted331
11-04-2003, 05:24 PM
The only advantage a non-vtec motor has over a vtec motor is that it will be cheaper to build. People need to stop rambling with all this overlap garbage when they don't even understand it. The VTEC lobe cams in stock hondas have such a wide LSA and hardly any duration that any minute amount of overlap you get completely doesn't matter. Think about it for a second, if the cams had SO much overlap that you were loosing boost pressure from your turbo that keeps on pumping, the cams would bleed out all your cylinder pressure that can't be increased untill your motor is at the intake stroke. The turbo keeps on pumping, if any boost escapes out the exhaust the turbo is spinning more than fast enough @ 5500 RPM's to keep the cylinder pressure and power up. If this is not an issue on a N/A 10:1 motor, it's not an issue on a turbo motor.

eckoman_pdx
11-08-2003, 12:34 AM
so what your saying is that i should just boost the normal ls engine, or the normal b20? no vtec?

How much boost do you want to run? How much do you want to spend? The LS can handle 12psi on stock internals, and is widely regarded as the best honda motor to boost. You can still boost your GSR, however. Don't boost it much past 8psi on stock internals. In truth, the Vtec arguement is an ongoing one. I know serval people in the know that would perfer to boost a non-vtec, due to the overlap, among other things. However, that doesn't mean you can't boost a vtec. I know of a guy with a 500HP boosted fully built LS/Vtec. As for LS vs GSR, the LS has a lower c/r, more turbo friendly, and a stonger block, and no vtec. It's a more turbo friendly motor, and the tranny is better suited for FI due to the gearing. If you have a GSR, you can still safely boost 8psi on stock internals, and you can replace the gsr final drive with the LS final drive. The LS may be a better suited more to boost (I have an LS) but if you have a GSR and don't want to dump it, don't worry. You can boost the GSR, just not as much (on stock internals). Lower c/r pistions, a closed deck, etc....will increase the amount of boost any of the motors can take. But as for what motor is better suited to boost, and LS is the honda motor best suited for FI apps.

Add your comment to this topic!