Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Acura NSX vs Porsche 911

Pages : [1] 2

SolReaver
04-09-2001, 09:47 AM
Who do you think will win? I'm going with the NSX. Both are base models

Acura NSX
Hp:290@7100 rpm
Torque:224@5500 rpm
Curb Weight:3069 lbs.

Porsche 911
Hp:300@6800 rpm
Torque:258@4600 rpm
Curb Weight:2910lbs.

enzo@af
04-09-2001, 10:26 AM
I think it would be a great race....but, I'd personally take the NSX in a heartbeat...wait, no...half a heartbeat.

Porsche
04-09-2001, 04:40 PM
I'm not even going to say who I would think would win. Yes it's that obvious. (See name for details)

John98R/T
04-26-2001, 04:06 PM
NSX any day any time, the Porsche is a damn good car, but cmon be honest the NSX would tear into it.

Peace.....
:alien:

JD@af
04-27-2001, 04:45 PM
Much as I love Hondas, a 1998+ Porsche 911 is automotive art. Having having had the incredible luck of actually getting to drive one, I can attest to its incredible handling, power, sound, and brakes, and anything and everything else I left out that is so nice about these cars. There would be some days where I would choose the 911.. and if I could choose a 911 C4, sorry, bye bye NSX.

:badass: These smileys are just too cool not to throw one into the mix every once in a while :shocked:

enzo@af
04-28-2001, 01:56 AM
Well, in a race it seems pretty obvious the 911 has the advantage, right? More power and less weight. But, I take the NSX for style.

mclarenhonda
03-26-2002, 07:43 PM
you would think that the porsche having more power and more weight would win... then again... the nsx was bred on the track... ive seen BM tests where the stock nsx just kicked the shit outta ferraris... there are more factors we have to take into account...

Tom_S8
03-28-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by mclarenhonda
you would think that the porsche having more power and more weight would win... then again... the nsx was bred on the track... ive seen BM tests where the stock nsx just kicked the shit outta ferraris... there are more factors we have to take into account...

Guys from BM aren't used to shift with right hand , that's why the guy had to look down all the time , that's the reason.... 98+ 911s are too luxurious and heavy IMO , but any 993 would beat the hell out of the NSX... Not to metnion that for a price of a NSX you can get 993 Turbo which eats almost anything out there in any conditions and whatever you compare , top end , acceleration , handling or BRAKING , nothing comes close to porsche brakes...:bandit: ... 911 for me...

NISSANSPDR
03-28-2002, 07:46 PM
"Let me go get my Honda..."

or

"Let me go get my Porsche..."

I think I choose Porsche since in my book it's so much better than a 84,000 Honda...

If we are talking about the Carrera 4...then forget about the NSX...the AWD Porsche would dominate it!

But if it's the Carrera RWD...then it's a bit closer in handling but still goes to the 911.

THE4TH
04-15-2002, 07:16 AM
nsx all the way baby... vtec in tha house... not to mention if i pulled up to some hot chicks with a porsche they would think i'm a rich kid prick and walk away, but if i pulled up in an nsx, they would think the same thing but at least they would get in.........:dogpile: :D ;) :licker: :bonghitte :wave:

NISSANSPDR
04-15-2002, 10:00 AM
At least in the Porsche you could "fit" 3 chicks instead of just one in your NSX...so sorry THE 4TH...I have more chicks than you in my 911 Carrera. Hehehe...jk w/ya.

flylwsi
04-27-2002, 02:34 PM
im pretty sure the BM vids had an nsx beating a porsche pretty soundly.... not sure, but i think they are at vtec.net...

not 100%, but i know it beat a porsche in there

flylwsi
04-27-2002, 02:37 PM
12.9 vs 13.8
nsx type s vs 911

that is what the vid has...

but it's a type s

not a us spec car... but i believe that there is not much of a difference b/n the two...

flylwsi
04-27-2002, 02:45 PM
here is the difference...

from www.nsxprime.com's faq section... about the type s

Japan Only. Luxury/Sporty model; a more refined Type-R. Features: Titunium Shift Knob (like Formula-1), MOMO steering wheel, BBS lightweight aluminum wheels, Recaro full bucket seat, mesh design engine cover (like Type-R), same colored roof as body, 45kg lighter than regular model, harder suspension.

The NSX-S is halfway between the standard NSX and the S.Zero. With the Type S, you get more equipment (more weight) and a milder suspension than the S.Zero.

Sounds good? The catch is, at 10.357 million yen (about $85,000), it's the most expensive NSX Honda ever sold in Japan

Gonthrax
04-27-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by SolReaver
Who do you think will win? I'm going with the NSX. Both are base models

Acura NSX
Hp:290@7100 rpm
Torque:224@5500 rpm
Curb Weight:3069 lbs.

Porsche 911
Hp:300@6800 rpm
Torque:258@4600 rpm
Curb Weight:2910lbs.

Well, strictly by the numbers, 911. But I'd like to see the race, you never know what could happen. I'd like to see the NSX win though ;)

LiuBei
04-30-2002, 03:19 PM
Unless the Porsche says Turbo on it the HONDA-MADE NSX will win. Besides Acura's are just plain better cars.

THE4TH
05-02-2002, 01:40 AM
Unless the Porsche says Turbo on it the HONDA-MADE NSX will win. Besides Acura's are just plain better cars.
never been said better..

Ssom
05-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Tom_S8

Guys from BM aren't used to shift with right hand , that's why the guy had to look down all the time , that's the reason.... 98+ 911s are too luxurious and heavy IMO , but any 993 would beat the hell out of the NSX... Not to metnion that for a price of a NSX you can get 993 Turbo which eats almost anything out there in any conditions and whatever you compare , top end , acceleration , handling or BRAKING , nothing comes close to porsche brakes...:bandit: ... 911 for me...

Hmmmmm I will wave the BS flag over this one, a 993 Carrera will sell for about the same as an NSX and te NSX will spank it, the more expensive Carrera 4S and Turbo, will probably edge off the NSX, but they are WAY more expensive, you could buy a new NSX and an Accord VTi-L V6 for the price of a 993 Turbo at least here in New Zealand anyway, basically the NSX is perfection- Luxurious, fast, powerful, superb track car, easy to drive around town as a Honda Fit, reliable, individual (There is like a million Porsches on the roads here) and god-damn sexy.................

Tom_S8
05-02-2002, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

Hmmmmm I will wave the BS flag over this one, a 993 Carrera will sell for about the same as an NSX and te NSX will spank it, the more expensive Carrera 4S and Turbo, will probably edge off the NSX, but they are WAY more expensive, you could buy a new NSX and an Accord VTi-L V6 for the price of a 993 Turbo at least here in New Zealand anyway, basically the NSX is perfection- Luxurious, fast, powerful, superb track car, easy to drive around town as a Honda Fit, reliable, individual (There is like a million Porsches on the roads here) and god-damn sexy.................

Excuse me , but i live in Europe , and see here:
NSX: first (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=18&DataNr=16&DisplayDetail=17195493&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=17&FormModel=nsx&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=29&y=9) , second (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=18&DataNr=15&DisplayDetail=24530330&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=17&FormModel=nsx&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=29&y=9) and third (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=18&DataNr=17&DisplayDetail=13713745&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=17&FormModel=nsx&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=29&y=9) those are the recent NSXs i could find , you can also get a 91 model like this (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=18&DataNr=8&DisplayDetail=26817046&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=17&FormModel=nsx&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=29&y=9)
And here are some porsches that can kill it without a doubt and aren't more expensive... one (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=81&DataNr=2&DisplayDetail=26942797&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=34&FormModel=993+turbo&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=19&y=11) , two (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=81&DataNr=4&DisplayDetail=25051732&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=34&FormModel=993+turbo&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=19&y=11) , three (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=81&DataNr=8&DisplayDetail=26022046&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=34&FormModel=993+turbo&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=19&y=11) , four (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=81&DataNr=9&DisplayDetail=26594741&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=34&FormModel=993+turbo&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=19&y=11) ... hell the list goes on forever , and they all spank NSXs all the time... Especially in wet... :finger:
Btw... fancy some 500+ hp rufs? They're also cheaper then your NSX
like this (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=5&DataNr=2&DisplayDetail=26909453&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=34&FormModel=ruf&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=27&y=12) or this (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=5&DataNr=4&DisplayDetail=26881347&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormDurchmesser=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer=%2d&FormLand=%2e&FormMake=34&FormModel=ruf&FormPLZ=&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d1&bereich=pkw&sprache=1&x=27&y=12) Both of those can get like 325 km/h or even more and are AWD... So put it in your pipe and smoke it...

flylwsi
05-02-2002, 05:18 PM
so yeah.
you show some factory "modded" 911s, like turbos etc, and say the are quicker than an nsx. well, they better be, considering the hp advantage.

the thread is about an nsx vs 911. doesnt say turbo.

so that kills alot. it doesnt say modified cars.

granted, i see where you are coming from but hey, it's a bit on the liberal side of the spectrum.

Tom_S8
05-03-2002, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by flylwsi
so yeah.
you show some factory "modded" 911s, like turbos etc, and say the are quicker than an nsx. well, they better be, considering the hp advantage.

the thread is about an nsx vs 911. doesnt say turbo.

so that kills alot. it doesnt say modified cars.

granted, i see where you are coming from but hey, it's a bit on the liberal side of the spectrum.

Damn , they aren't modified , there were 1000s of them selled stock this way... yes they have 408 hp from the factory with no mods... how can i compare a 911 to NSX when for a NSX from f.e 97 year i can almost buy two 911 regular 911s? It's not fair , it's like i wanted to compare NSX to a Diablo...

Bean Bandit
05-03-2002, 04:06 AM
I'll go for Porsche 1st It's simply better 2nd Toms right!

Tom_S8
05-03-2002, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Bean Bandit
Toms right!

WORD ... :bandit: :finger:

Moppie
05-04-2002, 11:55 PM
Toms only right if you live in Europe. Where excessive tarifs and taxes on Japanese cars makes owning an NSX an expensive option.

If you want to compare the two cars on bang for your buck then in Europe the 911 is the better choice, down here in New Zealand the NSX is an absolute bargin, and in the States it comes down to your own personal choice.

If you want to forget about the price differnces in differnt countrys then the NSX is simply the better car. The only great thing porsche have ever done is make a Beetle that handles. Its a truely great enginering acomplishment, but not something I would personal be all that proud of.

flylwsi
05-07-2002, 12:44 PM
ok tom...
my point was that there are options above and beyond the n/a cars from porsche... i guess that is what i meant... you can't compare a turbo car with 100 more hp to the nsx. it won't happen. that is all i meant.

and if you read the post again... i said "factory modded" meaning that they were not n/a not that they were some wild cars like RUF or something... just that they were a step above...

it's the same with an nsx type zero s. i would consider that factory modified...

gettin it? i never said an nsx could beat a turbo 911...

chaoticlighter
05-08-2002, 12:58 AM
YEAH.. the 911 for sure.... porshes have great handling, breaking... plus it has more HP and torque... also lighter... why in the world do you think the NSX would win?

Tom_S8
05-08-2002, 06:58 AM
ok tom...
my point was that there are options above and beyond the n/a cars from porsche... i guess that is what i meant... you can't compare a turbo car with 100 more hp to the nsx. it won't happen. that is all i meant.

and if you read the post again... i said "factory modded" meaning that they were not n/a not that they were some wild cars like RUF or something... just that they were a step above...

it's the same with an nsx type zero s. i would consider that factory modified...

gettin it? i never said an nsx could beat a turbo 911...

Yeah but here you can compare NA porsche to NSX because Porsche is like 2 times cheaper... And Turbos are cheaper then NSX too... I know that it's the other way round f.e. in Japan or Australia.... So i can compare 100 more hp porsche to the NSX and i still win with everything including price... And the wild rufs are the last two , the others aren't anything special afterall , there are 1000s of cars like that rolling on roads...

flylwsi
05-08-2002, 07:58 PM
for the guy rollin in a diplomat...

we would not debate the topic if it couldnt go either way... an nsx can beat a porsche. was that so hard to say? try it...

it wont beat all of em, but a porsche wont beat every nsx either...

tom... i think we are gettin it...

Tom_S8
05-09-2002, 02:44 PM
:o ... arguing on internet... i won't convince you and you won't convice me... Anyway with equal drivers porsche will not lose... and the NSX is really waaaaay overpriced...:p .. ok...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/kris/kris/+junk/ThisThreadSucks.gif
http://www.automotiveforums.com/kris/kris/+junk/care.jpg

so after all... give it up...

LiuBei
05-09-2002, 03:10 PM
But I love argueing senseless debates. Especially on cars I will never have and foresay if I did have, I would spend more time driving them and probably no time on the internet. Anyone to second that notion?

Moppie
05-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by LiuBei
But I love argueing senseless debates. Especially on cars I will never have and foresay if I did have, I would spend more time driving them and probably no time on the internet. Anyone to second that notion?

I ill second that notaion! :wave:

THE4TH
05-12-2002, 01:20 AM
all i know is porsche and ruf never made anything that looks even close to as sweet as an nsx.... not even close.. not to mention it's a honda for god sakes... ...a honda... beat a porsche... i love the sounds of it...
don't get me wrong they make some sweet azz cars but i just prefer teh nsx bottom line.. i don't care how fast it is... it looks way better...
and unless you pay real attnetion if i porsche 911 turbo flies by i say oh a porsche, cause unless ya know the models and what not they are all the same, give or take your 944 of course..
but when an nsx flies by... you know damn well it's the sweatest thing goin....

Tom_S8
05-14-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by THE4TH
a honda for god sakes... ...a honda...

honda = economical , cheap crap cars... i mean 95% of hondas are like that...
1st... they have poor racing tradition and they don't give a flying fuck about buliding a sports car , all other of their cars are FWD (not metnioning the "off road":rolleyes: ... :hehe: CR-Vs and HR-Vs)
2nd... like if you meet somebody at a party etc and there's a chat about cars , and you say you drive a honda , and he drives a porsche...
I know that we shouldn't care , and i don't , but unfortunatelly pepole do... yeah and even if you tell that your car is a honda NSX , not everybody knows what an nsx (actually yes , in the world there are guys and girls , who aren't crazy about cars like we are... and for them a porsche is porsche , even if it's a freaken 914 with 1.7 engine and 70 hp , and a honda is a cheap econobox...

Tom_S8
05-14-2002, 05:17 AM
and btw honda doesn't beat porsche...
it's like taking a lamborghini LM002 and telling a kia sephia beats in top speed (i don't know actually how much kias go , but this off road lamborghini does like 180 km/h or so)

so does that mean kia beats all lamborghinis?
Because you sound like it was that all hondas beat all the porches, and actually it's like the NSX can beat some of the porsches... and doesn't come close to GTs , 959s , even "regular" turbo 911s... that are the facts...:finger:... and it's a honda = poor prestige , if any at all , expensive as hell and more expensive to mantain than porsches...

Moppie
05-15-2002, 01:26 AM

honda = economical , cheap crap cars... i mean 95% of hondas are like that...
1st... they have poor racing tradition and they don't give a flying fuck about buliding a sports car , all other of their cars are FWD (not metnioning the "off road":rolleyes: ... :hehe: CR-Vs and HR-Vs)

:lol2: :lol2: So tell me how many F1 championships has Porshe won? And how many has Honda won?
You dont know? I didnt think so. Well heres a clue, the only manufactor that has won more F1 Championships than Honda, and been involved in F1 for longer is Ferrari. :finger:
Honda were also the Fisrt manufactor to build mass produced off the shelf N/A engines with more than 100hp/L. Beating both BMW and Porshe by several years.

Oh, and Honda's First car the S600 was RWD. :finger:

You seem to have a very narrow minded and slightly ignorant view of Honda, infact your as ethnocentric and closed minded as the red neck Americans who believe that Chevys and Fords are the best cars in the world. (even though most of thier most succesful models came from Germany and Britten).

TatII
05-16-2002, 12:47 AM
well even though NSX is a gorgous car, i still think the 996 turbo looks better and so does the GT2. and they will spank the NSX around like a bad habit.... by the way moppie sick EF civic you got there, that thing is a total sleeper. if i didn't look farther down, i would have no idea that you stuffed a B16A in there. it must be faaasssst with such a light frame.

Moppie
05-16-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by TatII
that you stuffed a B16A in there. it must be faaasssst with such a light frame.

I didnt stuff it in there, Honda did. They also tuned the suspension and brakes to suit.
To give you some idea of how fast my car is, I got to take a 928 home from work the other day, and well after giving it a good hard drive my SiR is considerably faster.
And after driving several lesser model EF Civics and CRX's they really are completly differnt cars. In fact the basic body shell and interior is the only thing the same. (dont tell the other EF guys, but the other models are the cheap crap econo boxs Tom mentioned)
Honda altered all the suspension attachment points and control arms, and installed bigger discs and capilpers all round.

Im not exactly going to be able to keep up with most 911's or an NSX, but my car is an excellent example of Honda's ablity to build performance cars. Of course the Type-R models of the Integra and Civic are the classic examples.

Honda is Japans most succesful Manufactor when it comes to Motorsport,and has more titles under its belt then even the likes of BMW Mercedes and yes Porsche. Infact Honda is one of the worlds most succesfull manufactors when it comes to Motorsport. (but being Japanese thet tend to get ignored)
Just becasue they use the Technology gained from Motorsport to make thier biggest selling cars more economic and with less emmisions (yes Honda, builds the most efficiant petrol engines) Dosnt mean they can't also use the technology to build some of the worlds best sports cars.
Infact the knowledge and technology required to build an engine that makes large amounts of spefic HP is the same as the knowledge and technology required to make and engine that is as efficant as possible.
Both engines are infact the most efficiant, Its just that one is efficiant at making Hp, and the other is efficant at useing fuel.

Tom_S8
05-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Moppie

:lol2: :lol2: So tell me how many F1 championships has Porshe won? And how many has Honda won?
You dont know? I didnt think so. Well heres a clue, the only manufactor that has won more F1 Championships than Honda, and been involved in F1 for longer is Ferrari. :finger:
Honda were also the Fisrt manufactor to build mass produced off the shelf N/A engines with more than 100hp/L. Beating both BMW and Porshe by several years.

Oh, and Honda's First car the S600 was RWD. :finger:

You seem to have a very narrow minded and slightly ignorant view of Honda, infact your as ethnocentric and closed minded as the red neck Americans who believe that Chevys and Fords are the best cars in the world. (even though most of thier most succesful models came from Germany and Britten).

Btw. if honda really know that much about sport cars and racing , why they don't make any? I mean NSX is the only real honda's sports car , and it's very expensive , and it's price is IMO too high for the performance figures it gives... Yeah i know about honda and F1 , but they may be using some of the technologies , but they use it in wrong cars in my opinion...

TatII
05-16-2002, 10:50 PM
well honda do make some nice cars. but me being a nissan man. nissan is known to win the most GT races in japan. but F1. thats a different story.

Moppie
05-17-2002, 02:59 AM

Btw. if honda really know that much about sport cars and racing , why they don't make any? I mean NSX is the only real honda's sports car , and it's very expensive ,

Becasue you might or might not have noticed that there are VERY and I mean very few Independant manufactors who make super cars.
There is quite simply no money it in, there never has been, and there never will be. Ferrari is owned and controled by Fiat, and your beloved Porshce is owned and controled by VAG of all things. Bugatti is also part of VAG, and poor Lotus is owned in bits by everybody. Hence all the badge enginering Porsche has done in the past, and is doing now. i.e the old 924 and 944, and the new Cheanye Soccer Mom Mobile.

And Honda builds and has built plenty of sports cars.
All thier world leading Bikes aside there is: S600, S2000, NSX, EF9 SiR Civic/CRX, Type R Integra, Type R Civic, Type S Prelude.
The NSX is thier only super car, but then how many other Japanese Manufactors can claim to have a super car under thier belt? um lets see none!

Honda builds one of the most diverse ranges of cars for any single manufactor. They are also one of the few remaining world manufactors that is Totaly independant. Think of any manufactor you like, and theres a 90% chance its owned by someone else, or is part of a larger group. Even Daimler is no longer independant.

Try and learn a little more about something before you try and knock it down. Just becasue Honda builds lots of efficant econo boxs that do not have any sporting aperations dosnt mean they are not capable of building some very fast and exciting to drive sports cars, and even the odd super car.

Ssom
05-17-2002, 03:30 AM
Tom, you need to straighten out your facts, Moppie cleared up the F1 stuff, also Honda do make RWD cars (Heard of a certain car called an S2000) and the CRV and HRV beat the pants off all the "Soft Roaders" the exception being the LR Freelander, but that is possibly the worst car in show-rooms right now.

Pull up to a club in an S2000 or NSX and you WILL get glances because generally damn-sexy cars, people are going to look beyond the badge, Hondas also have more prestige than any other mainstream Jap manufacturer and even the lesser European margues (eg. Peugeot, Vauxhall, Renault and FIAT) mainly because nowdays Hondas are seen as well-engineered, quick, reliable and well priced viechles, that is what made the Civic NZ's 6th best selling car last year............

I'm sorry mate, but you have got to look beyond the tip of your nose and see that while Germans make some fine cars, the Japs are running circles around them...................

Tom_S8
05-17-2002, 04:44 PM
the Japs are running circles around them...................

Ermm... it isn't like that... and it's never been like that.. if it was so , then why porsche still holds the record for nurburring? I mean Tuned cars - a tweaked porsche turbo holds the record , stock cars - porsche GT2 holds the record... i know the second is nissan skyline , but
-it's not honda
-it's not running circles , it's actually slower , but a bit cheaper too...

And yes i know most companies tend to gather in larger ones , and i'm all against this soccer mom-cayenne thing...

But please don't tell me that Type S prelude is a sports car , or the type R integras or civics are... a carrera RS made back in 1973 would run circles around them... and it's non turbo...

And moppie you say that none of the other japanese manufacturers make sport cars... umm i don't care... the thread is porsche 911 VS NSX... anyway now i'm tired as hell and i should get some sleep.... No matter what ... i'll still spank a NSX in 3 of 4 cars that i own , and the 4th is a minivan... later...

Moppie
05-17-2002, 09:01 PM

a carrera RS made back in 1973 would run circles around them... and it's non turbo...

If you believe this then you really are living in a little fantasy world regarding the ablities of Porsche. Any of the Honda's I listed except the s600 would hand a '73 Carrera its ass in a sling.

And this thread is about the NSX vs the NON Turbo version of the 911.
In which case money aside the NSX is by far the faster car. (Its also about 100 times more reliable).
In europe though thanks to taxs and import dutys the 911 is the cheaper car to buy.

If you want to compare Turbo variants of the 911 then there is no comparision.

Ssom
05-17-2002, 10:38 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/kris/kris/+junk/pad2.jpg

need I say any more????

Tom_S8
05-18-2002, 01:23 AM
Ok you want to really know it... check it out:

http://www.rs4.org/rs4/rs4-fearture/performance/ring-times/ring-times.htm

Scroll down the list and check for yourself...
Here are some of the times and averege speeds that may be interesting for this comparsion:

8,38 = 144 km/h Honda NSX -98, 280 hp
8,34 = 146 km/h Honda NSX 6 speed 276 hp

And here are times and averege speeds of porsches (yes , non-turbos):

8,28 = 147 km/h Porsche 911 Cabrio 993, 285 hp (yes it's a stock non turbo 911 , and it's a cabriolet so it's heavier then normal 911s... and it still smacks it hard... go figure)
8,15 = 151 km/h Porsche 964 RS 260 hp
8,17 = 151 km/h Porsche 996 Carrera 300 hp
7,56 = 157 km/h Walther Röhrl, Porsche 996 GT3 360 hp - it's 42 seconds faster then one of the NSXs , and 38 seconds faster then the other one... No turbo and all stock.... Have you ever seen two cars "racing" when there's more than 30 seconds difference on one lap ... it must be a joke.... and the 91' 260 hp 964 still beats them by 20 seconds or so... and the 964 is from the 80s...

here are times of 3 turboed STOCK porsches...

8,12 = 152 km/h 1998 Porsche 993 Turbo S, 432 hp
8,12 = 152 km/h 1997 Porsche 993 Turbo, 408 hp
8,09 = 153 km/h Porsche 993 GT2 430 hp

And here are some japanese cars (not honda) that are way cheaper then NSX and kick dust in it's face anyway...

8,28 = 147 km/h Nissan Skyline GTR standard 276 hp
8,25 = 148 km/h Mitsubishi Carisma GT Evo 6 280 hp

And you tell me that honda is the ultimate sports car manufacturer in japan... Btw i wonder why they didn't show times for your "sport" S2000 , civics , "tegz" :hehe: , and preludes...

Here are some other times , some cars that smack NSXs... those are not strictly sport cars... there is a sedan , a wagon and some others... see for yourself...

8,20 = 150 km/h 1998 BMW test drivers, BMW M5 E39 -98, 400 hp
8,20 = 150 km/h BMW M3 Evo E36 321 hp
8,22 = 149 km/h BMW M Coupe, 321 hp
8,10 = 153 km/h Audi RS4
8,10 = 153 km/h Chrysler Viper GTS - yes i know how powerful it is , but pepole use to say it handles like crap and has no brakes... but it did quite a nice lap IMO...

now who runs circles around your NSX again? :finger:

Tom_S8
05-18-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Moppie

And this thread is about the NSX vs the NON Turbo version of the 911.
In which case money aside the NSX is by far the faster car. (Its also about 100 times more reliable).

Ermm... i don't hear ya :finger4:...btw about reliablity... NSX is very expensive to mantain... and check some milages etc. NSXs have like 30,000 km , 50,000 km etc. and you can find porsches from the same year that have 130,000 150,000 or even 200,000 on the clock... and they still run on the original engine... that also ... ermm... means they're a bit more pleasure to drive...
And get one thing straight- i find NSX a very nice car , good engineered and i'd love to have one. I'm not a hater... But for this kind of money it really is slow and i could buy faster and more reliable cars for that money...

longlivetheZ
05-18-2002, 01:51 AM
Beautiful car, NISSANSPDR. What's wrong with turbos? Change the oil regularly and you're all good. Plus, slap some mods on it and feel that those turbos spool...ah...it's glorious! Still though....Both cars look the same minus the spoiler. Absolutly beautiful cars, aren't they. LONG LIVE THE 300 ZX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S...Where in Florida?

ales
05-18-2002, 03:54 AM
Ok you want to really know it... check it out:

http://www.rs4.org/rs4/rs4-fearture/performance/ring-times/ring-times.htm

Lovely stats, Tom, thatnks! :D

Ssom
05-18-2002, 07:45 AM

And get one thing straight- i find NSX a very nice car , good engineered and i'd love to have one. I'm not a hater... But for this kind of money it really is slow and i could buy faster and more reliable cars for that money...

I have just had a talk with a former 911 Carrera 4S and current NSX owner today and have come to this conclusion:

Sorry but there is no way in hell that you are going to find a car more reliable than a Honda, my dad's new business partner (and fellow car-nut) operates a 1992 NSX 3.0L VTEC V6 and once owned a 930 (?) Carrera 4S, I was having a little talk with him today and he said he had done 70,000Km in the NSX over the years and it had never let him down, except for a minor exhaust rattle in the left pipe, which was promptly fixed, but the Carrera was a nightmare to own and maintain, with constant bills and steep fuel costs as the car aged, the NSX however sips fuel in comparision and has only needed $300 in repairs (For the exhaust).

Anyway here are some 996, 993 and NSX stats

996 Carrera
Base Price $65 000 usd
Displacement -3387 cc / 206.7 cu in
Torque 349.8 nm / 258.0 ft lbs @ 4600 rpm
Power- 220.7 kw / 296.0 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Gear Type 6-Speed Manual
1st Gear Ratio- 3.82:1
2nd Gear Ratio- 2.20:1
3rd Gear Ratio- 1.52:1
4th Gear Ratio- 1.22:1
5th Gear Ratio- 1.02:1
6th Gear Ratio- 0.84:1
Final Drive Ratio- 3.44:1
Redline 7300 rpm
HP / Liter 87.39 bhp per litre
Curb Weight 1324 kg / 2919 lbs
Drive Wheels- Rear Engine / RWD

Top Speed 280.0 kph / 174.0 mph 0 - 60 mph 4.6 seconds
0 - ¼ mile 13.2 seconds 0 - 100 mph 11.6 seconds
Lateral Acceleration 0.91g EPA City/Hwy 19 / 32 mpg

NSX T/Top
Base Price $88 000 USD
Displacement 3179 cc / 194.0 cu in
Power 216.3 kw / 290.1 bhp @ 7100 rpm
Torque 303.7 nm / 224.0 ft lbs @ 5500 rpm
Gear Type 6-Speed Manual
1st Gear Ratio- 3.067:1
2nd Gear Ratio- 1.957:1
3rd Gear Ratio- 1.429:1
4th Gear Ratio- 1.125:1
5th Gear Ratio- 0.914:1
6th Gear Ratio- 0.718:1
Final Drive Ratio- 4.062:1
Redline 8000 rpm
Curb Weight 1433 kg / 3159 lbs
HP / Liter 91.26 bhp per litre
Drive Wheels Mid Engine / RWD

Top Speed 270.4 kph / 168.0 mph 0 - 60 mph 5.1 seconds
0 - ¼ mile 13.5 seconds 0 - 100 mph 11.6 seconds
Lateral Acceleration 0.89g EPA City/Hwy 17 / 24 mpg

Base Price $59 000 usd
Displacement 3600 cc / 219.7 cu in
Power 202.8 kw / 272 bhp @ 6100 rpm
Torque 329.5 nm / 243.0 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
Gear Type 6-Speed Manual
1st Gear Ratio- 3.82:1
2nd Gear Ratio- 2.05:1
3rd Gear Ratio- 1.41:1
4th Gear Ratio- 1.12:1
5th Gear Ratio- 0.92:1
6th Gear Ratio- 0.78:1
Final Drive Ratio- 3.44:1
Curb Weight 1390 kg / 3064 lbs
Redline 6800 rpm
HP / Liter- 75.56 bhp per litre
Drive Wheels- Rear Engine / RWD

Top Speed 270 kph / 167.8 mph 0 - 60 mph 5.2 seconds
0 - ¼ mile 13.8 seconds 0 - 100 mph 13.3 seconds
Lateral Acceleration- N/A EPA City/Hwy 17 / 25 mpg

So really the NSX and 996 are rather neck and neck, while the 993 is wheezing at the effort to catch up with them

Like you said though Tom, I aren't hating on Porsche, I would LOVE to own a 996 Turbo, I just think when it comes to Carrera vs. NSX, the Honda is the superior car:cool:

Tom_S8
05-18-2002, 09:50 AM

So really the NSX and 996 are rather neck and neck, while the 993 is wheezing at the effort to catch up with them

That's why the 996 is 17 seconds faster then the 3.2 6-speed NSX on road course and 993 is more than 6 seconds faster (i think the coupe could run around 8.25 so it's almost 10 seconds)... i see a lot of logic in this...

Btw maybe your dad's friend had some bad car... you know even the most reliable cars , if you buy the "wrong" one then it'll be braking down all the time , and then you buy a car that is told to be "the least reliable" and it can run forever... so maybe he just have had bad luck... Right now as we speak , i have just beaten a NSX in my S8 today , which is a heavy sedan... but i think it's the driver who had no balls , because i beat him in corners... but the first thing i did when i have seen that car...it reminded me off this thread... it looks stunning you can't deny it , but it sucked (i don't know if it was the car or the driver , but i'd say both) i have easily overtaken it (he tried not to let me do it) and then i went through a corner , and he almost crashed in the same corner... what a dumbass... he lost traction , but somehow he luckily made it and he still wanted to chase me... i didn't see him in my mirrors after 3 or 4 more corners so i slowed down , and after some time he appeared in my mirror again , so i let him pass , overtaken him once again and never seen him again... but i can tell , he was pissed... when i looked on his face , oh man... it was sooooo funny... he looked like that --------->:mad:

Moppie
05-19-2002, 09:09 PM

But for this kind of money it really is slow and i could buy faster and more reliable cars for that money...

We have already covered this Tom. Yes in most of Europe the NSX is incredibly over priced, and for the same money you could most deffintly buy a faster car.
And because of the differnces in exchange rates and international trade laws you can not compare the two cars on Price.

Here in NZ I could buy several used NSX's for the cost of one used 911.

I am also currently working in a workshop that specialises in Historic, classic and exotic cars. I can tell you right now there isnt a super car out there that is more relaible or cheaper to maintain than an NSX.
Try looking up prices for used porsche parts on e-bay. We're looking at wrecking road going legal 911's just to send the parts to the US and make money on them.

And I never called you a hater. :cool: I just suggested that you prehaps need to look out side of the square your thinking in, and accept that there are better cars out there than the 911, and that yes one of them might just be made by the Japanese.
And untill you get some experiance behind the wheel of a much wider variety of differnt cars, and have some experiance working on cars and understanding what makes them great and what dosnt you need to listen to what others with more experiance are saying.
There is more to what a makes a car great than can ever be put down on paper.

flylwsi
05-20-2002, 12:21 AM
for a note to tom on the times around nurburgring (i think that is where the times were from)

the nsx stock only had 16in wheels until this year... porsche had 17 and 18in wheels available for a while... that would make a hugeass difference on the track...

not puttin the porsche down, but if the nsx had the bigger wheels and better tires, it would be closer, or lighter wheels... as porsche is known to make hollow spoke wheels that are lighter than hell... *not on all car, but they do have them*

and on your kill of the nsx...

some folks can't drive...
and your s8 is a wicked ass car anyways, and i would love to drive it...

but the thread, i believe, is about the 1/4 times of the cars... 8 minute laps are impressive, but how many times are you gonna find 8 minutes next to an nsx with a porsche averaging 150ish?

and one more thing on the times... i usually don't like times posted by different drivers, i prefer the one driver rule. one guy drives the cars, both, all, whatever, and that way it is a bit more equal. for example, if you took one of the porsche drivers, and put him in the nsx, maybe he would get a quicker time out of it...

i dunno... but you get the idea... i'm not tryin to deny anything you said, just pointing out arguable points....

Tom_S8
05-20-2002, 01:42 PM

the nsx stock only had 16in wheels until this year... porsche had 17 and 18in wheels available for a while... that would make a hugeass difference on the track...

not puttin the porsche down, but if the nsx had the bigger wheels and better tires, it would be closer, or lighter wheels... as porsche is known to make hollow spoke wheels that are lighter than hell... *not on all car, but they do have them*

Please... compare weight of 18" rims to a weight of 16" rims... bigger rims are waaaaaaaay heavier than smaller rims , but besides that you're right bigger wheels could make a difference but i'm not sure what year model NSXs they used there... anyway , i think this is a good rule , because those are the best times got with specified cars... so f.e some driver is driving porsches all the time , he knows how to drive them the fastest and most efficent way so he can pull of the close to car's limits time , and another driver who feels NSX better can get better times with NSX and then compare them... Anyway as for judgement...
Europe - porsche is the winner
Japan , Australia , Oceania - NSX is the winner
US - they can drive their "sport" pick up trucks :finger:
Faster on track - porsche 993
Faster in straight line - Honda NSX
Faster overall (both track and stragiht line) - porsche 996
Just wait for the new NSX tho , so we can compare it with the 320 hp 911s and E46 M3s... And makea another pointless thread debate... :flipa:

Anyway the starter of this thread wanted a comparsion between NSX and 300 hp 996 and here the 996 wins (is faster on the track and in straight line)
but i agree to what Moppie said... stats on paper can't give you a feeling of what the car really is...

flylwsi
05-20-2002, 02:08 PM
on the wheels...
if it is anything but the brand new 03 (?)... they are not as big as a porsche, so that makes a diff...

the lightweight hollow porsche 18s are pretty light...

not sure on the exact weights... but i know that you can get 18s that are just as light as a 16...

i still feel that the race would be pretty close if not won by the nsx... i guess i would have to see it with the US spec cars... not like the best motoring jdm cars...

flylwsi
05-20-2002, 02:09 PM
oh, and besides my prelude, i happen to have one of those sport trucks...

94 s10 xcab v6 5spd...

quick little truck.. and it's dropped so it handles...

Tom_S8
05-21-2002, 01:59 PM
oh, and besides my prelude, i happen to have one of those sport trucks...

94 s10 xcab v6 5spd...

quick little truck.. and it's dropped so it handles...

Excuse me , but i find "quick trucks that handle" quite pointless... no offence , it's probably a quite cool car , but a truck should be a vehicle to move/deliver big stuff that doesn't fit in passenger cars and nothing less , nothing more , nothing else , nothing other....

Anyway... about the race , i gave you times for nurburring and porsches happen to be better....

flylwsi
05-22-2002, 10:33 AM
considering that my truck, even with it's sport suspsension still hauls refrigerators, couches, and alot of musical equipment for a friends band, it still does it's job. and it looks hella nice doing it.

so what is wrong with having a dual purpose vehicle that has great accel and handling, and will haul your mother's couch?

Tom_S8
05-22-2002, 03:35 PM
considering that my truck, even with it's sport suspsension still hauls refrigerators, couches, and alot of musical equipment for a friends band, it still does it's job. and it looks hella nice doing it.

so what is wrong with having a dual purpose vehicle that has great accel and handling, and will haul your mother's couch?

Ok that's :coolguy: , but trucks are to heavy to handle good and it's just the physics , you can't do a damn thing about it... i'm sure it must handle better then 90% trucks out there , and also better than many passenger cars , but it's not sport by any means...

flylwsi
05-23-2002, 04:54 PM
considering that it's an s10 and weighs in around 3k lbs, it isn't that much heavier than a lot of sports cars out there... and it's lighter than most of the heavyweight cars like vettes...

Tom_S8
05-24-2002, 11:03 AM
I don't know about lbs but my 952 weights around 1250 kg (but it's a cabriolet.... coupes are lighter)

Add your comment to this topic!