Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Window Reulator - 2000 Regal

Loren
10-31-2003, 03:43 PM
For the fifth time, a window regulator has failed on my wifes Buick. All four at one point or another. The last time was how we found out Warranty Gold was no longer paying claims. It cost us $450 to get the regulator replaced.

Since I have to pay for them now, I decided to try to fix it myself. I pulled the door panel and found a loose cable inside the door. It is a thin braided steel cable that is attached to the bottom of the window on one end and runs down the window guide and loops under at the bottom.

There is 16 - 18 inches of cable with a small metal ball on the end hanging loose at the bottom.

Is something actually broken or did it just come loose. Is the anchor for this cable easily identified. I guess I can take the other door apart for reference but if someone can direct me as to how to reattach the cable I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Loren
11-03-2003, 08:08 AM
I took the regulator out and figured out what went wrong. Actually the problem started on the drawing board. The system consists of a push-me/pull-you cable assemble that the motor drives through a take wheel assembly. The weak point is the plastic part on the window slide that anchors the ends of the cables. It is soft plastic and the cable ends can pull through the holes. I would have tried to fabricate a new part to replace the plastic piece but when the cable came loose it got mangled in the take-up wheel so I will have to the replace the entire assembly.

GM tried to save a buck by cheaping out on those parts and it has already cost over $2000 with no limit in site.

Currently the window is held up with a tiny C-clamp and it may have to stay that way for a while.

Add your comment to this topic!