Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bonneville Leak

reino4
10-31-2003, 11:15 AM
I seem to have a leak somewhere into the car, and water is collecting in the floor of the passenger side back seat. I can't trace back to where the water is getting into the car.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

VCS
11-01-2003, 08:09 AM
Greetings from Florida!
We have a '95 that has the exact problem, its just on the Drivers rear floorboard.
1st... Pull your spare tire, etc... I'll bet you also have water (probably has the same lovely aroma that ours did too) in the trunk. If it is in the spare "well" you'll have to drill a couple of holes to drain it out ***DO NOT USE A LONG DRILL BIT***
Next, check along the edge of the back seat, top & bottom, right where it ends. You should be able to "pull" the bottom cushion up enough to get a peak at the body metal (and all of the hoses, electrical, etc... thats routed through there). This is mainly to make sure the upholstery hasn't gotten wet also.
With a phillips head screwdriver, remove the "sill plate" (what you look down at when you open your door, usually plastic) and check (and while you're there, clean it) and check for signs of water.
These are what MUST be done just to get rid of the moldy, musty odor.
If your trunk has water lurking in the bottom, underneath all the mats and padding, then your leak is most likely the Rear Windshield Gasket leaking.
Otherwise, you need to replace your Door Weatherstripping.

I hope this helps.
Vernon Sutton
Pensacola, Florida

alyscio
11-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Another strong possibility is the sunroof leaking. There are passageways for the water to drain but unfortunately a fair portion ends up in the car.

With the fabric cover open but the sunroof closed do you hear any whistling? If so, this is very likely your culprit.

markwb
11-11-2003, 09:03 PM
reino4, It could be that the water deflector internal to the right rear door is defective, or has developed a leak. What year is your Bonneville? The 2000+ Bonnies have had probs with water leaks.

05-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Check also both tailight assemblies.Our 2000 SE leaked around the driver side tailight assembly and caused the trunk carpeting to become wet.Dealer fixed with silicone.

Add your comment to this topic!