Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Quick Muffler Question

m3kidds
10-30-2003, 10:31 PM
I just want to replace my muffler with a stock one, is it possible to install it myself or should i go to a shop? Thanks.

rubix777
10-31-2003, 09:59 AM
depends whether it's a catback system or they just chopped off the stock one as they installed the aftermarket one. If they chopped it off and welded the aftermarket one, then you can either have the stock one welded back on, or replace the downpipe with a new one with the adapter still intact.

T!mmy
10-31-2003, 10:02 AM
just wondering...why would you want to replace with stock exhaust?!?!

Ricochet
10-31-2003, 10:19 AM
He's talking about a stock MUFFLER. I'm assuming it rusted or broke or something.. Some people just want to keep their Civic's stock, no biggie. M3kidds, you can buy a muffler at a junkyard for $50-$100 and get it welded on at a shop for about $35. To do it yourself you would need a connector pipe which is flared out like 1/32 inches wider than the stock piping, and fit both sides into that. Then put muffler clamps on the flared parts and tighten the screws. viola.

crxlvr
10-31-2003, 06:55 PM
50-100 your getting ripped.

for just a muffler pay no more than 30 bux for it, you can buy some clamps to attach it to your stock piping, its very easy to do.

m3kidds
10-31-2003, 09:11 PM
thanks for the response guys. my stock muffler burnt out so i just want to replace it. nothing fancy. i have an automatic so i don't really want a muffler that makes too much noise (mufflers on a 5spd sound more cool than on an auto IMO). anyway i got one for like 50 bucks and it looks like it can just be bolted on. just tryin to save some $$.. if not i'll have to take it to the shop.

Add your comment to this topic!