Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya Basic Putty vs Polyester Putty

tc3house
10-30-2003, 03:07 PM
What is the main difference to the two? Can I use basic putty or a simple body kit like a front lip spoiler or is it only good for filling gaps?

Thanks

MR-2RaCeR
10-30-2003, 06:04 PM
You could use it on sumthing simple like that, just use only a little at a time and wait for it to dry b4 adding more.

chaos
10-30-2003, 10:48 PM
I'd go for polyester.

hirofkd
10-31-2003, 01:08 AM
Basic putty (also called solvent putty) is pretty much limited to gap and sink mark filling, because it shrinks if applied too thick. Polyester putty doesn't shrink, and harderns much faster than epoxy putty, so I recommend using polyester putty for a body kit. Take advantage of fast curing time, and try not to apply too much at a time, but build a shape little by little. That way, you'll save time for carving and sanding.

ShOrtyOC714
10-31-2003, 01:25 AM
You could use it on sumthing simple like that, just use only a little at a time and wait for it to dry b4 adding more.

Yeah whut he said ^^. I use Tamiya Basic Putty for alot of things, i dont really care, i just let it dry, sand, and put more on.

VnnyDaPooh
11-01-2003, 10:35 PM
What is it that you use to thin out either putties? I forgot. Becuase basically, by thining them out, and then you can "paint" the putty on. Someone told me you use enamel thinner, but forgot which putty it was for.

chaos
11-01-2003, 10:41 PM
What is it that you use to thin out either putties? I forgot. Becuase basically, by thining them out, and then you can "paint" the putty on. Someone told me you use enamel thinner, but forgot which putty it was for.
I'd bee interested to know as well

hirofkd
11-01-2003, 11:53 PM
I only know how to thin Tamiya basic putty, and the thinner I use is Mr. Thinner by Gunze. Similar kind of thinner should work for the basic putty. I never heard of thinning polyester or epoxy putty, because it defeats its purpose of building a volume. I know some people mix polyester putty and super glue to improve adhesion.

RalphCare
11-02-2003, 12:38 AM
i have miliput that i will be using soon. its an epoxy putty.. but the guy told me its the same as the tamiya putty, it just comes in bigger size and costs the same. u get more for the same price... however, i knew there would have to be a difference.

Add your comment to this topic!