Noise from rear axle/differential

URSATDX
10-29-2003, 07:00 AM
1st time poster. 1990 rx7 convertible. As driving speeds approach 30+ mph there is a noticable whining noise coming from the differential. This noise only appears when driving straight. When you corner the noise stops. I've had the car for years but it seems that the noise might be getting louder. I've changed the lubricant several times, stiil the noise.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,

TDX

BlackLabel6542
10-29-2003, 08:36 PM
i cant help you with that one but i also have a noise coming from my diff (i think)
whenever i get on or off of the throtle, not HELLA slowly, there is a thud kinda noise and the car basicly does the same movement wise
i thought it was the ujoint but when i pulled the driveline the ujoin was just fine
any help please?

BigPerm
11-01-2003, 09:32 PM
From your description......it sounds like either a wheel bearing......or more likely, ( believe it or not ) bad tires. Low-quality, or worn tires will make noise after they get some miles on them. I Learned that along time ago working for a Mazda dealership. Take a noisy Gen1 Rx...put new tires......new car. My '85 RX has a cheapo set of Pep-Boys rags on it....'n it's just started to howl, & roar.......try rotating your tires...or swap side-side....see if the noise changes.

Best way to check wheel bearings is put it on a lift. & listen with a long screwdriver to your ear.....or......a mechanic's stethoscope.

Good Luck,
BigPerm

URSATDX
11-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks Perm:
Tires are High Quality and in good shape. Just rotated and no difference in the noise I'm hearing. Wheel bearings were my 1st thought.
Do you know if the wheel bearings are difficult to replace?

Thanks,
TDX

BigPerm
11-05-2003, 05:36 PM
I've not done a Generation 2 car...but my manual shows it pretty straighforward. However...it looks like the wheel bearing is part of the axles & C.V. joint. It'll be cheaper ( probably ) to just buy an exchange axle. You have to remiove the backing plate & caliper....but that's no bug deal.
Good Luck

BigPerm

URSATDX
11-19-2003, 09:05 AM
It turned out to be the D/S rear wheel bearing.
Repair cost $230.00. No more noise.

J-Rat
11-19-2003, 02:15 PM
i cant help you with that one but i also have a noise coming from my diff (i think)
whenever i get on or off of the throtle, not HELLA slowly, there is a thud kinda noise and the car basicly does the same movement wise
i thought it was the ujoint but when i pulled the driveline the ujoin was just fine
any help please?

You have broken your forward diff mount. The replacement is available at Mazdatrix or Mazdaformance.

Its a rubber/metal mount at the input shaft area of the diff.

Jarrett

BigPerm
11-20-2003, 12:17 AM
Cool......coulda been worse I 'spose.

'Perm

Add your comment to this topic!