Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What do you hate most about building a kit ?

primera man
10-28-2003, 04:53 AM
This was done along time ago but i'd be keen to hear people's view's again.

For me.......Painting/masking clear windows, i hate pissing around trying to mask them all up and then painting them and trying to get them to look perfect :eek7:
Seems to take forever to do, and it's always the last thing i do on a kit as i hate it so much

Nobbys Nuts
10-28-2003, 04:58 AM
I agree P-Man but the thing that really p....s me off is when you don't have a workshop or a bench where you can just leave your kit until you have time to do some more and the missus comes along and cleans up just so you can't find something. They are bloody awesome at it!

primera man
10-28-2003, 05:01 AM
I agree P-Man but the thing that really p....s me off is when you don't have a workshop or a bench where you can just leave your kit until you have time to do some more and the missus comes along and cleans up just so you can't find something. They are bloody awesome at it!
:lol: :lol: :lol: WE MUST BE MARRIED TO THE SAME PERSON !! :lol:

Bangai-o
10-28-2003, 05:08 AM
My mum does the exact same thing, I haven't actually gone one kit without losing a part!

Masking windows is a pain because mine always leaks. Basically I hate anything that goes wrong and it always does! I lose all motivation.

egon_dude
10-28-2003, 05:13 AM
At least you guys can build kits at the mo . . . im stuck in halls at uni and all my modelling stuff is 150miles away back at home . . . im really tempted to go and buy a cheap kit just so i can have summat else to do apart from surfing the web all bloody day- might get some odd looks spray painting outside though :p
So stop moaning and get on with your models!!! :biggrin:

Martbee
10-28-2003, 06:08 AM
Ohhh, there's a lot of thing that can go wrong...

- when you just cut a piece from the three and it went airborne and fly across the room to end in your dirt t-shirt pile. Forget it... it's gone !

- When the mask leak... anywhere anytime... it just suck !

- When you break the windshield after weeks of repair to remove the stupid scratch it has when you bought the kit.

- When you prime the surface to the perfection and when you put your color on it, the primer tend to ripple and do that very nasty thing in front of your eyes... then you know you'll have to redo the process all over again.

- When the color is applied and the body virtualy finish and you drop it on the ground.

- When you try to acheive that wet look but fish eye appears.

- When you're almost done with a kit, the only thing to do is window trimming... so you mask, do the trimming part, everything goes alright until you remove the mask to find out it leave a VERY dull, damage paint underneat !!!

- When you try to put the body in place and the only wheel you don't look isn't exactely at the right place... so you try to pop the body in place and "ping"... the wheel is gone... probably in that T-shirt pile !

Beleive me, I can go on and on but that would be missing the point. I just hate when all this happen on the same kit !

But when a good kit is finish... I'm very please with the vision of having my own Enzo in the living room... then it's all worth it ! I forget the pain.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-28-2003, 07:10 AM
I will admit to not enjoying painting the inner window sections black...unless it's a Tamiya kit w/masks. It's not only hard to freehand paint, it's hard to lay masking tape down on those surfaces, to line up w/the frosted edges. :banghead:

I love old cars w/lots of chrome. I hate applying all that bare metal foil! :banghead: It's great stuff, but you have to be ultra-clean, ultra-careful w/it so it takes a lot of time to get it looking proper. Gotta be in a good mood, no coffee to keep the fingers from shaking! :grinno:

I hate models that have suspensions that require re-engineering so that the car sits level.

I hate having to take hours to fix Fujimi misdeeds. :grinno: :evillol: :banghead:

gasman03
10-28-2003, 07:39 AM
At least you guys can build kits at the mo . . . im stuck in halls at uni and all my modelling stuff is 150miles away back at home . . . im really tempted to go and buy a cheap kit just so i can have summat else to do apart from surfing the web all bloody day- might get some odd looks spray painting outside though

same problem here, all my modeling stuff is 300miles away though, but i've gone home every weekend so its not so bad, can't paint period, even the little enamals paints. becouse the college banned any flamable objects, so spraying laquers is deffinently outa the question, can't even have a toaster in some dorms

I love old cars w/lots of chrome. I hate applying all that bare metal foil! It's great stuff, but you have to be ultra-clean, ultra-careful w/it so it takes a lot of time to get it looking proper. Gotta be in a good mood, no coffee to keep the fingers from shaking!

thats my biggest, the 41 Willy's does'nt have alot of BMF(Bare Metal Foil) but it took me about an hour to do it, but the results are so good i've gotten to point where it does'nt bother me that much

sugarcaddy
10-28-2003, 08:09 AM
I agree with P-man, out of all the things that you have to do painting the insides of the window frames sucks the worse.
My second biggest peeve is having to scrape the extra plastic off the parts.

Scott

flyonthewall
10-28-2003, 08:14 AM
I will admit to not enjoying painting the inner window sections black...unless it's a Tamiya kit w/masks. It's not only hard to freehand paint, it's hard to lay masking tape down on those surfaces, to line up w/the frosted edges. :banghead:

I love old cars w/lots of chrome. I hate applying all that bare metal foil! :banghead: It's great stuff, but you have to be ultra-clean, ultra-careful w/it so it takes a lot of time to get it looking proper. Gotta be in a good mood, no coffee to keep the fingers from shaking! :grinno:

I hate models that have suspensions that require re-engineering so that the car sits level.

I hate having to take hours to fix Fujimi misdeeds. :grinno: :evillol: :banghead:

You can always take up knitting Bob! :lol:

I think painting (in all applications) is the most annuying for me coz so much can go wrong with it, stray specks of dust, orange peel, runs, masks that leak, overspray, spitting airbrushes etc etc. Then its still not over when the paint is dry, particularly with a car body. Coz then you have to sand and polish it and do your best not to sand too much, or a splash of thinner/glue finds its way onto it even though it was no way near it!!! It certainly becomes alot easier with experience but, in my experience, if anything is going to go horribly wrong then it will be when you're painting.

malsheem
10-28-2003, 09:05 AM
This was done along time ago but i'd be keen to hear people's view's again.

For me.......Painting/masking clear windows, i hate pissing around trying to mask them all up and then painting them and trying to get them to look perfect :eek7:
Seems to take forever to do, and it's always the last thing i do on a kit as i hate it so much

Agreed. Painting the inside window trim and also the outside window trim are tasks I don't look forward to. All that masking, so tedious, and so easy to screw up and botch the whole project.

Fkouch
10-28-2003, 09:09 AM
This is easy for me...

Cleaning my bloody airbrush!!!!

Well actually cleaning up in general. I'm a lazy guy and I like modeling at night and just sometimes cannot be bothered to clean everything up, especially if I'm using non-waterbased stuff.

I also hate flash and mould lines (thank god for Tamiya!).

Cheers

Farrokh

jgmodelcars
10-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Ohhh, there's a lot of thing that can go wrong...

- when you just cut a piece from the three and it went airborne and fly across the room to end in your dirt t-shirt pile. Forget it... it's gone !

- When the mask leak... anywhere anytime... it just suck !

- When you break the windshield after weeks of repair to remove the stupid scratch it has when you bought the kit.

- When you prime the surface to the perfection and when you put your color on it, the primer tend to ripple and do that very nasty thing in front of your eyes... then you know you'll have to redo the process all over again.

- When the color is applied and the body virtualy finish and you drop it on the ground.

- When you try to acheive that wet look but fish eye appears.

- When you try to put the body in place and the only wheel you don't look isn't exactely at the right place... so you try to pop the body in place and "ping"... the wheel is gone... probably in that T-shirt pile !

Beleive me, I can go on and on but that would be missing the point. I just hate when all this happen on the same kit !

This made me laugh so hard! :lol:

My least fav. part is when you get a nice coat of paint down only to discover you have filled in all body lines on one side of your car even after scribing them deeper. :banghead:

I also don't like window masking cuz it leave that bloody dullness to your windows that never seems to come off and windex only makes it worse. :banghead:

Lastly i hate it when your holding that nicely painted part with tweezer and you hold it to tight and it flies out from the tweezer and A)ruins the paint B)you lose it and will never find it again or C)both A and B. :banghead:

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-28-2003, 10:05 AM
You can always take up knitting Bob! :lol:

:grinno:

Dunno, w/my temper at times I'd be using those needles to gouge out somebody's eyes... :evillol:

BTW, I did my favorite work this weekend...bodywork...using your Nismo kit on the 350Z...nice stuff, I took my time cutting the parts off the Z (unlike my rush job on my Celica that required molding them in place and rescribing everything) and it made a big difference...parts fit very nicely. The resin seems cleaner than the C-West as well...only one little pinhole to fill by a side marker.

I did have to look at the website to see just how the #&^% to position the rear spats! :rolleyes:

Felt like an idiot after trying what I thought was ever combo possible... :p

suiteR
10-28-2003, 10:10 AM
P'man, good discussion topic to share!!

I get frustrated when window glass get scratched :banghead:

willimo
10-28-2003, 11:22 AM
For my first two years of college I didn't take any models to the dorms, and by the end of each semester I was burnt out and tired and ornery. My second two years of college I packed some brushes and paint and knife and whatever and tossed together a couple kits through the semesters.... Working in the dorm is tough and you won't be able to do a perfect job, your roommate will complain about the paint smell, and girls will look at you funny as they walk past you spraying a body, but it was all worth it to keep my sanity! Now, in my fifth year of college I have an apartment and my big desk that's great for studying is instead a big desk great for building an S2000.

My least favorite part is painting the body. I have always had a hard time getting a good paint job, though I am getting better. Like FOTW said, if theres a time something will go horribly wrong, its during painting. Ain't that the truth! I've gotten creative in hiding blemishes, if you saw my green Hilux, the snorkel was added to cover a run that turned into a spot where I rubbed the paint to bare plastic. Adding a snorkel was easier than repainting!

And I have a tip for window masking, and you may do this already, but this is what I do to make it easier. I take a fine fine point Sharpie (an black felt tip pen will do, I guess) and draw around the frosting, just inside of the edge I want to cover. Then I mask over the whole thing with Scotch tape ('cause I can see through it). Then I very carefully cut around the edge I drew, just inside of the line so that when I spray it, the paint will cover the marker line. Then I peel away the tape, spray it, and there it is. Not too bad.

1ofaknd
10-28-2003, 11:26 AM
For me, I hate Foiling. It's so time consuming, and your already done with everything else.

I think masking the windows is pretty easy and quick. Never had a problem with it.

fujimituner235
10-28-2003, 12:33 PM
I love building custom body kits, but all the sanding and puttying starts to become a pain in the ass after about 5-6 days.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Glad the Z kit arrived ok, hope u like?

What are the plans? or is that a secret for now? Don't know if its of interest to you but i will be doing the Nismo decals for the Z in the coming weeks.

Me definitely likes! :smokin:

Current plans are to get it done for our show Nov. 8th, so I've got to hustle (I'm also slamming a stock RX-8 together for the show). Planning on Tamiya Kawasaki lime green pearl, and Pegasus Allantes painted a magnesium shade and set inside their 23" aluminum sleeves that I've polished. Looks pretty sweet so far.

Gotta do anything for mine to get anywhere near the attention that Veyron's will get at the show :evillol:

I'm also helping Wayne get his modified C-West version finished up.

dag65
10-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Trying to actually inish a model before another idea pops into my head!

freakray
10-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Trying to actually finish a model before another idea pops into my head!

That about sums it up for me too, I always have projects and ideas spinning around inside my head.
Other than that one thing, there is nothing about this hobby I particularly hate.

michael1978
10-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Tja a lot of things count for me too !!

-Spraing with airbrush and airbrush starts spilling , or you spray and then you see some nice dust on the wet paint, or you touch the wet paint

-Parts are flying around and you never find them again

-you want to make something and you got not the skill to make it and hurry or even ruin the kit

-Also forgetting to paint the Rear Mirrors or the Rear Spoiler

-But the worst thing for me is whan you watch models that you make some ( 5 Years ago) and you thinking holly shit what i was thinking whan i was making this ( maybe i was drunken or stoned :banghead: ) !!!!

But take everything easy and time is the only thing that helps

ToyTundra
10-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Finishing the body is impossible for me. It always is too rough, or flat or scratched, or fingerprinted, or... Am i retarded? It should be so easy.

CamaroSSBoy346
10-28-2003, 03:51 PM
my biggest problem, is putting everything together, gluing the windows in especially, then i we sand everything so i can apply the rubbing compound, but i over sand it, so the paint has white spots in it, and the windows are in place so i cant respray it.

blueboost
10-28-2003, 05:47 PM
I hate the fact that I cant drive the thing or even sit in it or hear the engine note.

I hate cleaning brushes
I hate forgetting rear views or spoilers during painting as previously mentioned.
I hate that I can't get that p-man shine, and if I get something like it, I get a fleck of some foreign object in the paint in the most obvious place.

chaos
10-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Same as Pman and also doing the decals for race cars!

Hiroboy
10-29-2003, 12:31 AM
Interiors, are what I hate, I alway lose interest at that point.
But on the subject of Window painting, I also hated it, till I found a better way. Which is how I make the windows mask templates.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123478
I will post a "How To" soon

airforceone
10-29-2003, 03:43 AM
3) Dropping freshly painted pieces :disappoin

2) Loosing important kit parts (either in dirty shirt pile or vanishing into thin air) :eek:

1) My all time pet peeve: Getting a kit with missing pieces, especially non-USA kits. Not to tarnish tamiya's record, but I was short a suspension spring on their Toyota Land Cruiser kit. And that's important!!!!! :bloated: :shakehead

snk33y
10-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Great post!!

My biggest pet hate would have to be getting that tiny spec of fibre on your freshly painted model :banghead:

But I really enjoy painting rather building kits, i guess a lot of guys out there are different since a painting sesion can turn very ugly real quick and pretty much makes or breaks a project.

Bloodhound
10-29-2003, 11:49 PM
my most hated occurence - After you've spent half an hour carefully detail painting that carb, you decide its time to stick it on the manifold. that goes fine, then you decide 'the air cleaner would look awesome now' so you go ahead an try to glue that on.................and the top of the carb is so flimsy it just falls off. and horror of horrors, the glue striped the paint from the top of the carb, ruining your work! then the paint runs over the glued surface and onto your manifold, and re-sticking it on gets harder and harder and harder.

Next time, I'm doing a bloody injected engine. :iceslolan

skiff
10-31-2003, 07:22 AM
Driving home from work at the only night in the week you can do something on your modelling hobby, getting a flat tire, and discovering that the spare tire from your freshly bought second hand car has developed a nice bulge, ready to explode. :banghead:

By the time I got everything rolling again, and got home, I just wanted to go to sleep. Next time better luck.

(spare tyre has been replaced by a decent one, so next time 10 minutes is all I need.)

chrismcgee
10-31-2003, 09:47 AM
for me its the clear parts, i hate painting the windows.
i totaly hate glueing the windows in.
i realy realy hate the headlight lenses, a perfect model can be screwed up by a tiny bit of clear plastic.
when you have to glue the lens to the body it always has a crappy edge where the paint disolves slightly and makes it look pants :banghead:

cant tamiya find a better way of mounting this lot? and please pre paint em all :lol2:

86_SR5
10-31-2003, 10:05 AM
Painting the body, it's the hardest part for me.

willimo
10-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Shaking a bottle of paint, and then discovering that you hadn't tightened the cap properly last time you used it ang getting little flecks of paint all over your work bench. Thank GOD only my desk got painted, and they all missed my model... whew!! But for a moment I was about to murder the entire world.

spoolin12
10-31-2003, 03:00 PM
chrismcgee:
Dont use glue....use clear enamel paint...takes long to dry but it works! :D

86_SR5
10-31-2003, 03:12 PM
I use elmers white glue to glue in the windows.

Guido
10-31-2003, 04:39 PM
That about sums it up for me too, I always have projects and ideas spinning around inside my head.
Other than that one thing, there is nothing about this hobby I particularly hate.

I have to agree with Ray. Tons of ideas and nothing realy that I hate. Other then that, it's finding the time to do all those ideas and projects.

EMAXX
10-31-2003, 04:51 PM
I used to hate painting, but after getting the P-man shine once, I love it, so I love every part about builing models.

hobbes874
10-31-2003, 05:18 PM
Window trim is the worst!!! ARgh I hate it soooo much :banghead:

mech0t0
11-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Waiting for the paint to dry always frustrated me! I left finger pins behind everytime I go back to check the wet paint job! :nono: :banghead: :grinno: I am not a bomb, but.... Spare some patient please!!! :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!