New to Wranglers->Any rust problems ala CJ?

TJfun
10-27-2003, 12:06 AM
Grew up around the old CJ's and I love these Jeeps so I decided to get myself the modern version. The one thing I didn't like about the old Jeeps were the rust problems. I might be picking up a used 98' Wrangler in the next day or two. My question is do TJ's (Wranglers) have any rust problems like the old CJ's?

Would appreciate a reply from the forum.

Jadedjeepster
10-31-2003, 10:36 AM
If not taken care of yes. Paint and Body wise there just like any other car/suv. The cool thing about wranglers is that you can prevent any of this from happening for a long, long time.

For undercarriage parts i.e. chassie, axles, etc. Is already well prep. POR-15 makes special paints and sealants for the do-it-yourselfers. For the interior remove all the carpet pieces and you'll see that it is painted just like the out side. One thing I did that work real well was invest in getting the interior lined with a rubberized paint/sealant. If your interested in having it professionally done I think its called line-x or rhino lined. Again for the do-it-yourselfer there is Herculiner. I chose Herculiner for a number of reasons mainly because of seeing the results after two years was pretty impressive.

For the exterior painted surface, just keep it well polished and waxed will prevent oxidation and rust. My favorite place to shop for detailing products if anyone is interested is www.properautocare.com.

Hope this helps.

TJfun
11-01-2003, 08:23 AM
What I meant was that the old CJ's just didn't rust like every other car, they are much worse. Every Jeep CJ seems to have the rust problems that are way beyond the rust that is experienced with any other vehicle.

Are TJ's prone to rust like a CJ or they closer to every other car made.

Add your comment to this topic!