Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

a good car to soup up for a highschooler

kyky
10-26-2003, 10:22 PM
I am in highschool and would like to buy car to soup up and possibly drag race. But i don't want to go ALL OUT it will also be a daily driver. I'm not really into civics and all that fast and furious stuff, but I would consider an import. I was wondering if there were any cars with v8's (possibly 6 cylenders) that you would recomend. I really like american classic/muscle cars but i would buy an import if it had alot to offer.
any advice would be helpful. thanks.

Gilgland
10-30-2003, 11:23 AM
I just got out of high school and am looking at getting my first car (sad I know :rolleyes: ) but Hondas are like legos. You can pretty much take them apart and snap new stuff in with little to no difficulty. I am going to get a 89 prelude Si I think it is 4ws so the thing has great handeling. One thing to keep in mind about Honda's though is that for the most part they are front wheel drive. A lot of dragsters prefer rear wheel are all wheel drive but f that doesn’t bother you then Honda is a real good choice. They are great w/ gas (some Crx's get like 50 mgp) they never die if you minimal upkeep and they are fun. It really depends on your price range as far as what model you start with but like for me I am on like a $3000 budget so I'm looking at like CRX's old civics and this older Prelude but you can find some great deals out there. The Lude I am looking at is like $2300 and it is near mint condition. If you got deeper pockets look at the s2000,newer prelude (production stoped on them like in 2000) ,or Del Sol(took the place of the CRX).Once you have the car you just surf the net and there is a slew of aftermarket performance parts for all Hondas. Prices very greatly but you can get decent parts for small fees if you look hard enough. Just make sure you find someone that knows Hondas and their parts to look w/ you and tell you the quality of the products that you are looking at.
Have fun!

crazyjoshman
10-30-2003, 11:55 PM
I have been out of school for a lil while and am looking for my second vehicle, (first is a pickup ).
i have been doing alotta research and for import dragsters supras can hold thier own. but it really depends on price range, alotta ppl are liking wrx's

Crimson
11-21-2003, 01:48 AM
Im a senior doing the same thing, Im about to get an Eclipse GS-T considering it has 210 horsepower, it can kill mostly all the rice rockets on the streets. Only problem is im warned that they tend to come apart so learning to put stuff back together is a must.

Rakshas
11-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Late 80s Trans am GTA.

kyky
11-28-2003, 07:54 AM
hey crimson, what year gst are you getting? and how much do they go for? and does anyone know if a chevy nova is good to soup up? i would like one of those

Vin.ZNT
11-28-2003, 06:26 PM
ever thought about the insurance?

highschooler wit a V8

hardly any insurance company will support you ya know, even if they do, the insurance will mo' expensive than the car in 2 years or less

get a 4 cyl. wit Turbo and Supercharger instead, great output and less insurance!!!

corkywg
11-30-2003, 07:02 PM
RX 7 2nd gen turbo II...... if you could find one rotary engine :) 14.5 quater mile stock mint condtion under 8k and with 2k of mods you would be running quater mile in low 13's just a thought

Add your comment to this topic!