Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 fluids and brakes

setatenken
10-26-2003, 10:15 PM
i just got this car form my uncle recently.
out of curiousity i popped open the hood, and all the fluid levels were low.
i heard something about some specific coolant that's supposed to be used for this car...
if anyone has information regarding which are the recommended fluids to be used it would be a lot of help

also, the the brakes make this ticking/drilling sound... if anyone knows what that's about that would be a lot of help too

tman
10-27-2003, 06:09 AM
That specific coolant is called DEX-COOL. It is available from a GM dealer, but it is designed for newer cars( about 97 and later) Look in your coolant tan, what color is it?
Green=any generic brand(I'd reccomend Prestone
Orange=DEX-COOL

Wait till Flatrater answers, because I'm not a mechanic, just an enthusiast.

setatenken
11-01-2003, 06:13 PM
i wanted to get the prestone quick fill (cuz i'd be damned if i have to actually mix the water and the coolant) but they didn't have it, so i just got the premix from shell...

the reserve tank was totally empty, but i couldn't get the radiator cap open anyway, so i just filled the tank and hoped for the best.
no problems so far =)

now if i can just do something about the brakes... they make me kind of nervous

tman
11-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Quick fill is a joke to me, it doesnt have to me exact, just somewhat close. I mean, with quickfill, your PAYING FOR WATER!!!!!!!

krazibimmer
11-02-2003, 12:59 AM
i recommand you have your brake check. your brake pads maybe is wearing out and the wear indicator is touching the rotor and making the noise you describe. take off the wheel and check them yourself or bring it to a shop that offer free brake inspection.

setatenken
11-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Quick fill is a joke to me, it doesnt have to me exact, just somewhat close. I mean, with quickfill, your PAYING FOR WATER!!!!!!!

i know!! i know im paying full price for half the product!!! but damn it im so lazy!!

Add your comment to this topic!