Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thinking about a 1st gen 300zx-convince me

SpaceManSpiff
10-26-2003, 07:14 PM
OK, here's the deal. I get $4000 for a car. I'm thinking about a 1st gen 300zx turbo. I can get one for about 2500-3000, and that leaves me plenty of money to make it faster. I'm asking 3 things.
1. Why should I get this car?
2. What are the first mods I should do to it?
3. Why isn't there more aftermarket support for them? They seem like nice cars, you would think there would be more support for them.
If anyone is curious, the other cars I'm considering are a Honda CRX Si, Ford Taurus SHO, 1st gen Toyota MR2, 2nd gen Toyota Supra, and a 1st gen Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo.

PDFFlyer
10-27-2003, 07:37 PM
I have been a member of Z31.com since 1997 and those 400 guys contributing to Z31.com everyday will be able to convince you.
They have 'links' to all the aftermarket stuff, and they can answer your questions on the 'perf. upgrades' and that topic has been well covered such as whether to buy a turbo or a non-turbo, and whether to buy a K&N intake, and which exhaust, etc. Look them up....PDF

Funkdeal
10-28-2003, 12:31 AM
just think dude. say you get a z31 for 3000 dollars and spend 1000 dollars on mods. you're not going to make it nearly as fast as a z32 unless you destroy your car by getting nitrous. i guess if you need a car RIGHT NOW, you should go ahead and get it, but if not, i would save up for a z32. i hope i helped you a little. if not, that's cool too. BUT YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF YOUR LIFE. ha ha j/k. good luck.

Mk3Supra
10-29-2003, 10:09 PM
just think dude. say you get a z31 for 3000 dollars and spend 1000 dollars on mods. you're not going to make it nearly as fast as a z32 unless you destroy your car by getting nitrous. i guess if you need a car RIGHT NOW, you should go ahead and get it, but if not, i would save up for a z32. i hope i helped you a little. if not, that's cool too. BUT YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF YOUR LIFE. ha ha j/k. good luck.

Why would he want a heavier , slower , more complicated Z32? I personally chose the simpler , lighter , cheaper Z31 , and have not been sorry yet. Plus , I'm planning an RB26DETT swap , which will walk all over a Z32 7 days a week.
Seriously , just buy a Z31 turbo , invest a $1000 in fuel system and other upgrades , and POOF , you'll have 400 HP to play with. At a 1/8 the price of a base Z32 turbo's cost. Not to mention the Z31 is a ton rarer than the Z32 , and , personally , I like its styling better.

longlivetheZ
10-31-2003, 11:57 PM
Trust me!! I had a 1986 300ZX 2+2 for about 3 years. Amazingly reliable, good car. I loved that car more than life itself at times. The 2+2 is kind of a slug, but it will hold it's own against probes and jettas and whatnot. The turbos can be made very fast...get the turbo, put an exhaust, intake, boost controller on it, turn the boost up to 10-12 psi (as high as you should go with stock injectors and no intercooler...upgrade the injectors and get a FMIC and ~15 is doable without sacrificing reliability) and just have fun. I made the horribly idiotic mistake of selling it when I moved...I wish I still had it.

Everyone must read this (http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/ulstreetcarc.html) before saying another word about the Z32 being slow. They run about 5.5 0-60 stock and...well...that page speaks volumes for their potential.

Why would he want a heavier , slower , more complicated Z32?

Heavier, yes. Slower........ehhhhhhhhh no. More complicated, yes but how much does that reaaaaaaally matter?

Plus , I'm planning an RB26DETT swap , which will walk all over a Z32 7 days a week.

Take the site above into consideration. If you mod the engine, yea. The reason the R34 is so fast is because of all the wheels pulling.

Seriously , just buy a Z31 turbo , invest a $1000 in fuel system and other upgrades , and POOF , you'll have 400 HP to play with.

Umm.....400 HP for a grand? I'm thinking probably not. The Z31 is capable of 400+ HP, but it costs more then it would in the Z32.

say you get a z31 for 3000 dollars and spend 1000 dollars on mods. you're not going to make it nearly as fast as a z32 unless you destroy your car by getting nitrous.

Nitrous isn't as bad as you think when used properly. It actually works very well with turbos contrary to popular belief. Hit the nitrous and, not only does it help for intake cooling a LOT, but your turbos spool instantly. Just don't go put a 300 shot on a stock engine and you'll be fine.

Do NOT get a SHO Tortise. One friend of mine had a new one...tranny kilt at 30,000 miles. Shitty cars. Another guy I knew had an older one. Not even all that many miles on it....NOTHING worked right on it.

To sum it up...
Z31T: Cheap, possible to make fast (I've seen unibody Z31s pull 7 sec 1/4s.....looots of mods, though, obviously), looks good, fun cars, good aftermarket.
Z32TT: Fast stock, can be painfully fast with mods (check the link above....low 10 sec daily driver...), looks down right sexy, even better aftermarket.

I've had a Z31, I'd love another one, especially a turbo, but I'm now trying to get a Z32TT.

By the way.....I'm also a member of z31.com. I have been for a loooooong time. Awesome site. If you get a Z31 and/or if you have any questions, go there. If you get a Z32 and/or if you have any questions, go to z32.org. Or let me know if you have any questions.

QKRTHANU
11-09-2003, 08:44 PM
i z32 Z may be heavier but not slower. i have smoked so many z31 turbos with my N/A 2+2 its not even funny. hell i say just save up some more cash and find a z32 coupe/2+2 and forget the z31. save up some more cash and do a vg30dett swap. then ur done and u have one bad ass car.

QKRTHANU
11-09-2003, 08:47 PM
sorry for the double post but also u might want to check out www.300zxclub.com if u have a Z period.

longlivetheZ
11-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Ehhh....swapping a TT engine into a Z32 is so amazingly impractical that it's nearly impossible. You'd be stupid to not just go buy a Z32 TT.

QKRTHANU
11-13-2003, 08:13 AM
actually its very practical. expecially for people that dont have lots of money for insurance for a TT. also if they are wanting a 2+2 TT like me. then its very practical

longlivetheZ
11-14-2003, 11:15 PM
Ehhh....Just like I said...http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/FAQpages/natott.html

Add your comment to this topic!