Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stock Valve Springs?

RBBH
10-25-2003, 04:51 PM
I have a 1995 LS. I just got a 285 cam with 250 lift on both intake/exhaust. I need to know if the stock springs are strong enough to use with this bigg of a cam. I obviously don't want to lose power on some super stiff springs. How stiff are the stock springs? Are they enough to the valves up to 7500 rpm or so?

whtteg
10-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Holly shit 285 duration with a 250 lift those are beast cams !!! Holly crap! You are definatly going to need some stiffer valve springs b/c you will be making power to around 8800-9000 rpm, not that the stcok bottem end will hold that kind of rpm, but still valve float from spring bind is very possible. But damn man that thing is going to have more of a lope than my car with crower 404's but it will pull real hard top end :evillol:

RBBH
10-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Big ass lobes huh!!!!!!! I am excited to see how they do. I am going to send a head to inline 4 in westminster to have the throttle body, manifold and head p/p. I am going to set the thing on a dyno to see where I can put the power. I appreciate your imput. I called comp cams, the company that ground this bad boys, and the suggested a set of springs for the setup. After that it will be time for fuel issues to be addressed. Thanks for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!