Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heater/AC Control Panel

goesman
10-24-2003, 09:36 PM
I have a 1997 Buick Lesabre (Custom) and began experiencing problems with the heater/AC. Even in the off position, hot air blows out of the floor vent.When I hit the A/C button, I can tell the A/C compressor kicks on. I know it's working because the pipe near compressor is really cold). I replaced the heater/AC control unit, but the same problem occurs.

What else should I be checking?
1) Air diverter door? Where is this anyway? Can I get to it easily?
2) Do I have to worry about any vacuum hoses?
3) Bad actuator that moves the door? I read this somewhere, but I don't even know what it looks like.
4) Someone else suggested the problem might be heater control valve (connected to one of the two hoses that comes off of the heater core) under the hood might have gone bad. Not sure about this one.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

bustedratchet
10-26-2003, 06:52 PM
I'd check the blend door motor. Look on the sides of the heater box for a black bow with a bunch of wires going to it.Work the controls and see if its moving. Some cars you can bring the glovebox down and get a good view.

goesman
10-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Bustedratchet,

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look. I hope I find the problem soon, it's driving me crazy. I'll keep you posted.

goesman

goesman
10-30-2003, 08:27 PM
:grinno:

Bustedratchet,

You nailed it. Thnx. After removing the glove compartment door, I got a good look at how the air diverter door works. Turns out the lever connected to the air diverter door popped off. I rigged it back together and it works fine. Thanks again!

goesman

Add your comment to this topic!