Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Help Diagnosing Dashboard Rattle

Cid
10-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Hi all...

I just purchased a 1990 4Runner, 22RE, 4WD, 5spd manual. It's mostly stock from what I could tell, so I'm going to be doing quite a few upgrades as soon as I can.

One problem that did just come up is a rattling noise from the dashboard. It's an annoying rattle that usually only occurs when I am going at about 70-75mph. It comes and goes sometimes, and can sometimes occur at slower speeds like 35mph. It does not always start rattling when I hit 75, only sometimes. Also, sometimes it goes away it i hit a bump on the road. The rattling seems to be coming from under the dashboard. Anyone have this problem before or know what it could be? Everything seems to be working fine. All the gauges appear to be working when the dashboard is rattling. I would just like to take care of this since the noise is annoying.

Thanks for the help...

Cid

dickman
11-11-2003, 10:21 AM
I had a similar problem with my 90 4runner several years ago. The rattle drove me crazy for quite some time. There is a plastic conduit that protects some wiring that runs along the firewall, across the inside of the fender to the top of the air cleaner where it pugs in. I simply took some foam type pipe insulation and put it around a few strategic places on the conduit. That took care of it and will to for you if its the same problem.

Add your comment to this topic!