Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 2.2 Starting Prob

Screwtape
10-24-2003, 08:02 AM
I have a 98 Rodeo 2.2 DOHC 4 cyl
It was hesitated and puttered when I first put it in gear,
I replaced the spark plugs and it ran great after that ...for a couple of days.
Then it wouldn't start, it would turn over, get gas, get spark, everything we checked worked.
When we would crank it with only 3 spark plugs in it would start (although rough with only 3 going), it didn't matter which plug was out.

A neighbor suggested disconnecting the battery, I tried that and now it starts but won't idle, I have to keep the gas pedal pressed.
Any suggestions?

rodeo02
10-24-2003, 09:29 AM
Anytime i've heard this type of problem with the 1998+ 2.2L, it was a bad crankshaft position sensor. I'm not sure where it's at- but most likely around the crank pulley / harmonic balancer area. G/luck
Joel

Screwtape
10-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks I will have to try that this weekend.

2eyefishclaw
10-24-2003, 09:25 PM
what kind of plugs did you put in it (please dont tell me BOSH)
if you did return them tell the people who sold them to you that they are not compatible with your vehicle just because they fit in it Isuzu's are very picky about what you stick in them they originally came equipped with champions which in my mind are fine for lawn mowers and Chevrolet Isuzu's work really well with NGK or Nippendenso which is my prefrence you will find the Denso's a bit pricy but very well worth it. Check the inside of the plug boots for carbon tracking may look like a little white line Burnt looking if this exist replace that wire examine #4 very well for this is the one that normally has a problem. If this does not do it crank sensor can cause a no start but have not seen many probs with them if it is that or if you care to check it it is located in the pass side of the engine block just abou tin the center

Good luck

Screwtape
10-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Yes I used Bosch. But I also tried some Champion plugs. I will look at the plug wires but I don't know about getting new wires for that, I checked prices and they were $250 a set!

2eyefishclaw
10-28-2003, 07:38 PM
dont replace those wires as a set only buy the one you need they are sold individually

Screwtape
11-03-2003, 09:12 AM
OK OK OK...I really need to invest in a pressure tester of some sorts because my problem was the fuel filter. It sure did look and smell like it was getting enough fuel but I guess it wasn't. The computer had to relearn itself, I got it to operating temp, and it kept revving up and going back down, so I guess it was the fuel filter. It is throwing a code for the cam pos sensor, so I guess I will need to change that sometime soon.

2eyefishclaw
11-03-2003, 09:44 PM
glad to hear your rolling again

Add your comment to this topic!