Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Off Road

fiveofun
10-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Does anyone know of a way to put tow hooks on a Grand Vitara? Also, are there rock sliders or rock rails that are made for them?

99TrackerConv
10-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Ummm doesn't the GV have tow hooks? My Tracker does. Unless your looking for something different.

For rock rails or sliders try www.Rocky-Road.com or www.calmini.com

Samurai Hamster
10-26-2003, 05:20 PM
I think all zuke suv's have tow hooks, one in front, and one on the rear.

fiveofun
10-26-2003, 08:47 PM
You both are talking about the tow loops. I am joining an off road club, and they do not use tow straps with metal hooks, only ones with sewn loops on the end. How would I attach one of those to my tow loop? Anyways, I installed my tow hooks today, finally!!!(on my Tracker ZR2). Since I couldn't find ANYTHING online about installing tow hooks on a Tracker, I'll just have to put a page out there on how to do it. The tow hooks I installed look like the one on this page...

http://home.golden.net/~haida/suzuki/offroad/recoverequip.html

Now I can use tow straps with sewn ends.

Samurai Hamster
10-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Excellent.......how did you install them? GOt any pix?

fiveofun
10-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Sure. Im trying to put the pics on a webpage. If I am successfull, I'll post the address. Anyone who wants to see the pics post your email here

fiveofun
10-28-2003, 09:40 PM
I bought two standard tow hooks at pep boys. The place I finally decided on was the third idea, and the best no doubt. I drilled (using a 1/2" bit) through the frame just where you can see it through the lower front fascia bumper. the hooks are on the outsides of the frame, with the hook facing outwards at 9:00. The tow hooks included two 1/2" by 2" bolts, 2 lock washers and 2 nuts each. I purchased four 1/2" by 4" Grade 8 bolts and 8 galvanized washers because I drilled through both sides of the frame. I put the bolt through the hooks from left to right, adding a washer on the side of the hook and the inside part of the frame. Then I put the lock washer and nut on. They are really secure!

GVDave
12-05-2003, 10:30 PM
fiveofun, I can't think of anyone that is currently making sliders specific to the GV. I am making a set for mine here in the next few weeks. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
in regards to the tow hooks question. You can use shackles to attach the tow strap to the loop. Warn has a few but they are much cheaper at farm equipment retailers. :-)

Add your comment to this topic!