Page updated on 10-20-2017

Primer!

turbos86
12-08-2001, 02:59 PM
I'm going to spray my models soon, but I have some questions.
1) FC molded in white, I want to spray it white. Which primer should I use? I can get the tamiya kinds, but they have a grey primer and white primer, which one would work best in this case?

2) AE86 molded in white, same as the FC, but the lower half of the body is to be black, so do I spray both color of primer on this car?

3) EG6 molded in blue, and is to be sprayed in red, which primer, thanks
!!!

BTW, this will be my first time using primers!

Guiddy
12-08-2001, 03:20 PM
The answers as follows...

1. White!

2. Only white!!

3. White!!!

Anything else I can help you with!:D

turbos86
12-08-2001, 03:22 PM
ACTUALLY!!!

How about body molded in black that's to be sprayed bright blue?
Which primer??

Jay!
12-08-2001, 03:31 PM
Good question!! :)

1) White over white plastic: use the white primer

2) White and black over white plastic: use white primer

3) Red over blue plastic: depends...

Either primer will cover the blue enough that it won't interfere with the red. But, the shade of the primer itself will. The white primer will give a brighter red, and the gray will knock it down a couple shades. Colors on the warm side of the spectrum (reds and yellows) are susceptible to hue changes depending on the color they're sitting on. Darker and colder colors (blues and greens) are less susceptible. My MR2 was red plastic, and I used the gray primer and painted it blue, no problem. So...

3) Red over blue plastic: test both if you can, so see which shade will look better. If you have white primer left over, just use white. If there's no price difference, just use white. (Both kinds are the same price fo me...)

Another benefit of primers: finding and removing seam lines and imperfections. Give your bare model a light coat of primer all around, then give it a gentle sanding all over. You'll take some primer off the high spots and corners, but you'll also be able to see where seam lines are hiding, and where panel surfaces don't line up quite right. Then you can sand them down smooth, or at least note where they are, so you don't go through them while polishing...

:D

Guiddy
12-08-2001, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by turbos86
ACTUALLY!!!

How about body molded in black that's to be sprayed bright blue?
Which primer??

White!!!:D

turbos86
12-08-2001, 03:51 PM
You guys know so much about modeling!! Thanks!!

This will be my first try with primers, never used them before. All the cars I have mentions will have mods given to them, so primer is a must! I'm going to buy the White tamiya stuff! Same price on both color, but I get a choice of a small can for grey. Haha, what the hey, that many cars, big can for me:frog:

Guiddy
12-08-2001, 04:01 PM
Automotive plastic primer might be better value, and works just as well, if not better! Just make sure it is plastic primer!

The beauty of primer is it's designed to cover well, so you can spray a black body white and it not bleed through! Usually, anyway!

turbos86
12-08-2001, 04:40 PM
oK, maybe I'll try both automotive and modeling type to see which i like more

primera man
12-08-2001, 06:39 PM
PMans 2 cents worth......just get white, it does the lot.

Add your comment to this topic!