Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remote start installation on a manual

Ricochet
10-22-2003, 01:23 PM
I want one of these things, especially for the winter, so I don't have to sit in a cold car for the first 10 minutes of the drive to work. I know my electronics 101 but what I don't know is how to hook these up to a manual. I never leave it in gear when I park so that's not a problem, but as far as starting it without clutch engagement, how do you bypass that? Do they sell manual and automatic kits separately? I'll only spend about $100-$150... are they that cheap?

Myjunkistight
10-22-2003, 03:34 PM
I think they only make them for automatics, because your ecu will only start the car if it "knows" that the clutch is pushed in by your tranny. Not really sure how this works, but I don't think you will be able to get one for a manual. Cause even if they could bypass the ecu code then you would have to leave your car in neutral all the time.

Ricochet
10-22-2003, 03:39 PM
You don't know what you're talking about. They do technically only make them for autos, but I have a couple friends with remote starters on their 5spd but didn't get it done through a shop, one of their friends did it.

Myjunkistight
10-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Well then why the hell did you ask if they sell manual and automatic kits separatly?
And I was right about the ecu having to "know" when your clutch is engaged, that's why you can't use an automatic ecu with a 5spd transmission.

ponchonutty
10-22-2003, 10:36 PM
I want one of these things, especially for the winter, so I don't have to sit in a cold car for the first 10 minutes of the drive to work. I know my electronics 101 but what I don't know is how to hook these up to a manual. I never leave it in gear when I park so that's not a problem, but as far as starting it without clutch engagement, how do you bypass that? Do they sell manual and automatic kits separately? I'll only spend about $100-$150... are they that cheap?
Yeah, there are some out there. Take a look at these. This place has some for manual and auto. http://www.a1electric.com/alarm2.htm

I like the DEI stuff myself but they do not make one labled for a manual. The ones that are for manual usually have to have you do a stupid ritual to get them to start like this.... When you are ready to exit the car, put the car's parking brake on, put it into neutral, press the remote start buttons, exit the vehicle, shut the door, lock it, then press the remote start again. The vehicle will start remotely as much as you want until a door has been opened. If a door has been opened, then you have to repeat the above again.

To me that sounds like a pain!!! So, jsut slap on the DEI unit and forget about it. The clutch switch will be nothing. Some either have to see ground, 12+, or nothing at all. I think yours has to see a ground signal. You can either use a relay to send the signal or just rip out the switch like most idiots do. :nono:

BullShifter
10-23-2003, 01:15 AM
I had a remote start on my Si for while, its wasn't worth it since the clutch switch was bypassed. My vette almost got hit, thank god the car was facing the other & not in reverse. Another bad story with remote start & manual trans - My buddied toolbox got hit by car a with switch bypassed & caused all types of damage. The owner of the car had to replace a brand new Snap-On box($3500) & he's lucky no one was standing there, plus the damages & repairs to his car.

Get the correct stuff if your gonna do it.

rubix777
10-23-2003, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I have a friend that did it to his protege. He bypassed both clutch sensors and the ebrake sensor too. I don't remember which brand alarm he got but it was pretty cool. It beeps and vibrates if the shock sensor is triggered from a mile away.

Miataracer
10-23-2003, 02:01 AM
The DEI remote starters are nice... decent enough range and fairly simple. I don't see any reason why one wouldn't work on a manual. You would have to bypass the clutch switch. I think you can see it right up near the top of the arm for the clutch pedal. You would have to be insanely careful though to make sure the car is out of gear and the parking brake is on or you could end up with the problems previously mentioned...

ponchonutty
10-23-2003, 06:51 AM
The DEI remote starters are nice... decent enough range and fairly simple. I don't see any reason why one wouldn't work on a manual. You would have to bypass the clutch switch. I think you can see it right up near the top of the arm for the clutch pedal. You would have to be insanely careful though to make sure the car is out of gear and the parking brake is on or you could end up with the problems previously mentioned...

Yeah, what you can do is use the e-brake wire as your safety nuetral wire on the remote starter. That way it will not start unless it "sees" that the e-brake is on. It still leaves chance but as long as you are the only one operating it and remember what to do, I do not see a problem. I have done it before.

Plasmex
10-24-2003, 01:05 AM
hmm.. I could get one..
i had a tranny swap and my car starts with the clutch in and the clutch out :P
lol

ponchonutty
10-24-2003, 07:06 AM
hmm.. I could get one..
i had a tranny swap and my car starts with the clutch in and the clutch out :P
lol

Didn't matter if the switch worked or not, it is so easy getting past that switch. To do it the lazy way, just unplug the switch like what happened when you had your tranny swap done. :icon16:

Ricochet
10-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Where exactly is this switch

ponchonutty
10-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Where exactly is this switch

Right on the pedal. If you ever crawled up there you'd see it. It is located and mounted just the the brake switch.

whiteracer
10-24-2003, 03:27 PM
As i write this I'm getting a DEI Viper 791XV installed. It's got the remote starter but my car's a manual. When i gave it to them they said "we'll see what we can do" regarding the auto start and manual tranny. These guys are genius', they've managed to put a new head unit in and keep my factory keyless entry. Not that hard to do, even though Honda says if you replace the stock head unit you lose the stock keyless entry. They've also moved that head unit to the lower DIN and wired up a 7" flip out monitor that is hooked up to a tv antenna. I hope they figure out a safe way to get the remote starter to work. This alarm also has a turbo timer and a bunch of other goodies, but no my car's not turbo'd, yet. DEI is good stuff, though usually they're not compatible with manual trannys.

whtteg
10-24-2003, 03:52 PM
There are manual remote start kits out there. What you have to do is if you want to use the remote start then you have to press the clutch in like 3 times or some crazy thing like that before you get out of the car, so that you are reminded to take the car out of gear. Also you do this when you park the car and then when you get ready to start the car with the remote then you are set. They are more expensive though, I would just wire the ebrake switch to the unit as the neutral saftey switch like prevously noted and cut in a switch to the clucth switch so that when you filp the switch it will bypass the clutch switch and you are reminded to leave the car in e neutral b/c you will have just flipped that bypass switch, just associate the 2 with each other. Is my post understandable? let me know if you have any questions

ponchonutty
10-25-2003, 04:12 PM
As i write this I'm getting a DEI Viper 791XV installed. It's got the remote starter but my car's a manual. When i gave it to them they said "we'll see what we can do" regarding the auto start and manual tranny. These guys are genius', they've managed to put a new head unit in and keep my factory keyless entry. Not that hard to do, even though Honda says if you replace the stock head unit you lose the stock keyless entry. They've also moved that head unit to the lower DIN and wired up a 7" flip out monitor that is hooked up to a tv antenna. I hope they figure out a safe way to get the remote starter to work. This alarm also has a turbo timer and a bunch of other goodies, but no my car's not turbo'd, yet. DEI is good stuff, though usually they're not compatible with manual trannys.

Like I said, it is real easy to do. I am sure the installers will have no problems if they've been around for a while. Yep, I install stereos in Hondas all day long. Just use THe Metra kits for $8 and go with it!!!

whiteracer
10-25-2003, 05:12 PM
just got my Viper 791XV installed yesterday and i love it! When they were done they said it would've been real tough to install the auto start with my manual tranny. They said it was possible, but they wouldn't suggest it. It was like one of those things that if they installed and there was a problem with the car starting itself and rolling away, i'd come after them for damages. :sly: They said just take it to a smaller shop that specializes in this stuff and is willing to do it. I don't normally go to shops like circuit city, best buy, or good guys to get anything like this installed, but i've learned a few times that if i take a product to a store that doesn't carry it, they somehow screw up the installation. And since i work across the street from Circuit City and my boss lady was out to lunch, i ran over there and told them to do what they could. Again, i don't normally go to circuit city for amp, subs, speakers, or head unit installations, but when i bought my in dash monitor a small local popular shop said "no, it can't be done." I wanted them to move the head unit and put this monitor in place and wire them together. They also said that it wouldn't be a good idea or even possible to find a tv antenna to wire to my tv tuner cause the reception is bad. Wrong. Circuit City did all of the above and made a special piece to make the pieces fit. The small shops i go to are always amazed on how professional everything was installed. I know two people who have manual tranny's with autostart. Or at least only one now. They both went to different places, one just found it inconvient and was having problems with it. The other doesn't mind the trouble. Just depends on where you go and how comfortable they are at doing it.

ponchonutty
10-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Whiteracer, I am glad you got your system installed. Too bad they didn't do the starter. It is so simple to do. All they have to do is first hook up the emergency brake wire and 2nd, install a motion sensor. This way, it won't start if the brake is not on and will stall out if the car takes off. Just got to make sure that you do not use an impact sensor or something with a mercury bulb in it. The impact sensors only pick up impacts and the mercury bulb units may not work if you park on an incline or something. You need to use the sensor that is used for when people jack up the car to steal the wheels. These sense the rocking motion that can happen if the car takes off by itself.

Yeah, sometimes it's OK to go the the chains for stuff especially when the custom shop you went to really isn't so custom. Man, like what you wanted was really all that difficult. I give that shop the :loser: face!

T!mmy
10-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Hrmm to me all it seems like is just to remove the clutch sensor and then make sure everytime you get out of the car to take it out of gear and set the e-brake...just be responsible about it and there will be no problems... :iceslolan

ponchonutty
10-29-2003, 07:35 AM
Hrmm to me all it seems like is just to remove the clutch sensor and then make sure everytime you get out of the car to take it out of gear and set the e-brake...just be responsible about it and there will be no problems... :iceslolan

You got it! To be on the safe side, through in a motion sensor. You know, the ones you use to sense if the car is being moved. That way if the sensor senses movement, it will kill the starter. Works very nicely.

T!mmy
10-29-2003, 08:19 AM
You got it! To be on the safe side, through in a motion sensor. You know, the ones you use to sense if the car is being moved. That way if the sensor senses movement, it will kill the starter. Works very nicely.

Where can I get one of these?

ponchonutty
10-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Where can I get one of these?
Any alarm place will have these. They usually cost under $20. Make sure you get a motion sensor. Do not get an impact or field disturbance sensor. These sensors are commonally used to detect the rocking motion a car gets when someone is trying to jack the tires.

T!mmy
10-31-2003, 10:47 AM
this will be awesome walking to my car from the mall and then unlock it and then VROOOM before I ever even touch the car
lol

Hawk ST185
11-22-2003, 02:22 AM
I had a Viper 791XV installed on my Grp A Celica and the guys installed a switch on the gear stick. The auto start won't work if the stick is in 1,3,5th gear. Don't know the wiring side to make it work but i've tested it under controlled conditions and it stops the auto start. Provided I don't leave it in 2,4 or reverse which i never ever do anyway.

Love the remote by the way.

ponchonutty
11-22-2003, 07:59 AM
I had a Viper 791XV installed on my Grp A Celica and the guys installed a switch on the gear stick. The auto start won't work if the stick is in 1,3,5th gear. Don't know the wiring side to make it work but i've tested it under controlled conditions and it stops the auto start. Provided I don't leave it in 2,4 or reverse which i never ever do anyway.

Love the remote by the way.

Yeah, I know what they used. It's a pressure switch but you can't get that to work on everycar. Plus, like you said, it won't work in 2, 4, or R.

Soyo
12-06-2003, 07:54 PM
ok well I put my car in neutral and put the e-brake up everytime I get out, is that all I have to do? then just take out the clutch relay? will this hurt anything? if its that easy why doesn't everyone have one? lol

ponchonutty
12-07-2003, 03:42 PM
There are manual remote start kits out there. What you have to do is if you want to use the remote start then you have to press the clutch in like 3 times or some crazy thing like that before you get out of the car, so that you are reminded to take the car out of gear. Also you do this when you park the car and then when you get ready to start the car with the remote then you are set. They are more expensive though, I would just wire the ebrake switch to the unit as the neutral saftey switch like prevously noted and cut in a switch to the clucth switch so that when you filp the switch it will bypass the clutch switch and you are reminded to leave the car in e neutral b/c you will have just flipped that bypass switch, just associate the 2 with each other. Is my post understandable? let me know if you have any questions

1st off, ANY remote start is or can be compatible with ANY car. The reason DEI is reluctant to do it is because of lawsuits. Also, manual cars are getting fewer and farther between. They make enough money on the automatics not to worry about it.

As far as starters BEING labeled as a starter for manual cars they all work in the same manor. Before you exit the car, you have to put it in neutral with the ebrake on then press the remote start buttons. Then, get out and lock the doors. Some will quickly shut off and others will run for a minute or 2. Then, as long as no doors are ever opened, it will start the car. If you do open the car door, you have to do the whole process again.

pheurton-skeurto
12-07-2003, 11:20 PM
my 95 civic (manual) has a remote starter. a small shop here in central ohio installed it. it was a genaric starter ($150) and install was $165 and it took them 2 days...my advice to those of you who love your cars: DONT DO THIS!!!!! those of you who have recently installed yours, youre going to run into trouble. there are so many scenarios, so many bad things that can happen. my car almost went thorugh the back of my garage/ into a tree...and my car was wired with a motion sensor, with the clutch bypassed and the ebrake wired up. especially on the civic the car would just drag the ebrake.

the only good thing to ever come out of it: first date with this hot ass girl id been sweating for a long time...pull up to her house, get out meet the parents, as we are walking to the car to leave i start the ride up from her front porch. okay doesnt sound that cool now but the wow effect was there. i guess it worked though, ive been with her for two years now...i quit using the remote start though, just made me worried every time i pushed that button...

ponchonutty
12-08-2003, 11:22 PM
my 95 civic (manual) has a remote starter. a small shop here in central ohio installed it. it was a genaric starter ($150) and install was $165 and it took them 2 days...my advice to those of you who love your cars: DONT DO THIS!!!!! those of you who have recently installed yours, youre going to run into trouble. there are so many scenarios, so many bad things that can happen. my car almost went thorugh the back of my garage/ into a tree...and my car was wired with a motion sensor, with the clutch bypassed and the ebrake wired up. especially on the civic the car would just drag the ebrake.

the only good thing to ever come out of it: first date with this hot ass girl id been sweating for a long time...pull up to her house, get out meet the parents, as we are walking to the car to leave i start the ride up from her front porch. okay doesnt sound that cool now but the wow effect was there. i guess it worked though, ive been with her for two years now...i quit using the remote start though, just made me worried every time i pushed that button...

That's exactly why DEI doesn't like it. If someone comes into my shop I actually use 2 motion sensors and ask for cash only!!!!

Doubletap
12-09-2003, 11:32 AM
The only way you can put a car through a garage and into a tree and all the other multitude of embarassing stories is to do somethind dumb and leave it in gear personally with my DEI remote on a 5spd. Integra I have left it in gear once. In reverse with the Parking Brake ON and tried to start it up. The only thing that happened was it tried to start... and went nowhere. IF your brake is in working order you have no trouble. The remote start properly programed and installed should only crank the motor for a second and that is not enough time for it to take off on its own and eat small children or whatever ghastly things your car has been doing without you.
My advice go get a DEI remote start. Make a friend at best buy or whatever. Get them to install it for you properly and program it. Then don't fuck up and leave your car in gear. Not that difficult.
BTW, as far as price. I got a DEI Valet 554R which is full security, remote start, keyless entry with a two way remote for 150 on E-Bay. Friend of mine who does installs for a living put it in for $200. Good luck Ricochet

DoubleTap

ponchonutty
12-09-2003, 08:15 PM
The only way you can put a car through a garage and into a tree and all the other multitude of embarassing stories is to do somethind dumb and leave it in gear personally with my DEI remote on a 5spd. Integra I have left it in gear once. In reverse with the Parking Brake ON and tried to start it up. The only thing that happened was it tried to start... and went nowhere. IF your brake is in working order you have no trouble. The remote start properly programed and installed should only crank the motor for a second and that is not enough time for it to take off on its own and eat small children or whatever ghastly things your car has been doing without you.
My advice go get a DEI remote start. Make a friend at best buy or whatever. Get them to install it for you properly and program it. Then don't fuck up and leave your car in gear. Not that difficult.
BTW, as far as price. I got a DEI Valet 554R which is full security, remote start, keyless entry with a two way remote for 150 on E-Bay. Friend of mine who does installs for a living put it in for $200. Good luck Ricochet

DoubleTap

You sure that's your friend? I sell those 554R installed for $299!

Add your comment to this topic!