Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

18x9 RIMS on '92 INTEGRA possible???

micray83
10-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Will 18" rims fit on a '92 Integra? I was looking at 18x9 Enkei G'Spec (GTV) wheels for my Integra and they have 17" versions, but I prefer the look of the larger 18s. Will 18" wheels cause steering problems? I heard it's possible to "roll" the wheel well to avoid friction with the tires or something like that. Is that recommended? My intentions are to lower the vehicle ultra low to the ground for racing/show purposes. Let me know what I should do...thx!

Mendari
10-22-2003, 10:34 AM
18" wheels on a 1992 Integra will give you a horrible ride and steering. The cars ride will be harsh and cause damage to engine mounts, seat mounts, and door hinges. Speedbumps, dips, and potholes will be your worst nightmare. The cars steering will become squirrely and be difficult to control above 50 mph. Even 17" wheels will be pushing the limits of that car.
I suggest getting 2 sets of wheels. 18" for show and 16" for racing. 17" wheels for racing are best used on larger chassis/heavier vehicles.

micray83
10-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, man. Now, what would you recommend for width size? Is 10" width overdoing it? I like they way cars look from the rear when they're equipped with nice wide lo-pro tires. It makes the car look more aggressive when they're wide like that. However, I'm not sure about how the width of the tire effects the handling. Does it matter a whole lot? I would think that you'd get better stability and handling with wider tires, but I don't know. I'm not really looking for ride quality here, I'm more interested in performance. So, let me know what you think...

Mendari
10-22-2003, 03:06 PM
The problem at hand is that the physics of a Front-Wheel Drive car is radically different than a Rear-Wheel Drive car. Putting wide tires on the rear of a RWD car is very effective because that is where the power is being transmitted. However, the rear wheels of a FWD car are basically there to keep the tail off of the ground. Also, wider rear tires on a FWD car will make the car understeer (a.k.a. plow) worse.
For a sub-compact FWD car, the best setup is 16" x 6.5" wheels with 205/55/R16 tires all around. This combination gives the best ride, handling, and accelaration. The 17" and 18" wheels are just for looks because your car will actually accelarate slower. This is because the increased diameter acts with a greater opposing leverage against your engine's efforts. Also, the maximum width for the car in question is 7". Anything wider will require custom fenders.
17" x 7" with 205/40/R17 is maximum combination for your car. However, if you are using you car to pick up girls, hit the bench press. I mean, I really don't care what kind of car Jenna Jameson drives and I'm sure you don't either. Besides, the last time I got laid, the girl wasn't sucking on my muffler :smokin: .

tran_nsx
10-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Will 18" rims fit on a '92 Integra? I was looking at 18x9 Enkei G'Spec (GTV) wheels for my Integra and they have 17" versions, but I prefer the look of the larger 18s. Will 18" wheels cause steering problems? I heard it's possible to "roll" the wheel well to avoid friction with the tires or something like that. Is that recommended? My intentions are to lower the vehicle ultra low to the ground for racing/show purposes. Let me know what I should do...thx!

yes 18's can fit a 92 integra, ur looking at one. the 18x9 though is a different story, but with money anything is possible.

tran_nsx
10-22-2003, 05:54 PM
18" wheels on a 1992 Integra will give you a horrible ride and steering. The cars ride will be harsh and cause damage to engine mounts, seat mounts, and door hinges. Speedbumps, dips, and potholes will be your worst nightmare. The cars steering will become squirrely and be difficult to control above 50 mph. Even 17" wheels will be pushing the limits of that car.
I suggest getting 2 sets of wheels. 18" for show and 16" for racing. 17" wheels for racing are best used on larger chassis/heavier vehicles.

ok now i have 18's and the ride and steering is no where horrible as u stated, i have push my car above 110mph and it runs fine. also the harshness of the ride is not due to the wheels, but the suspension and tires. once u install 18's this will make your car higher than it orignally was, even when its lowered. i know this because my car is lowered and i use to have on the stock 14's.

the only way bumps will really become a nightmare is when u decide to drop down even lower let say 2-2.5 in drop, but when its that lo steering will become an issue and your going to need some fender work. i also wouldn't reccomend this kind of a drop since it is illegal, maybe not in all states but in californai it is.

also the width can be stretch to 7.5 not 7, again because i have rims that are 18x7.5 and they are made for my year integra. the tenzo-r passion five only comes in 2 sizes, 17x7 and 18x7.5 so wouldn't it be baffling for a company that makes performance import rims to not fit an import?

the only draw back of having 18's is the fact that they are heavier which slows acceleration. this too isn't always true since some smaller rims can weigh more then 18's depending on what kind of compound and material was implemented into creating the rim. a specific example would be some 16's i purchased for my crx, but after comparring them with my 18's i found out they were 5lbs lighter! hell i didn't even have to weight them, the weight difference can be felt just by lifting both of them up at teh same time.

if ur going to offer advice, at least state what is an opinion and what is a fact next time.

micray83
10-22-2003, 08:52 PM
Woah! Again, guys, thx for the insight! I would have to agree with Mendari about the acceleration and steering advantages of the 16" rims over the 18s. However, the weight issue does depend on what brand and type of rim that's installed. If I go with Enkei it's a safe bet that they use some of the lighter weight alloys to produce their rims. Since, to my knowledge, they are a Japanese company that emphasizes racing, and knowing that I would probably opt to go with 17x7.5 dimensions--a fair median between what you two suggested, rather than 18x9s. I'm going for that race "slash" show car, versatility look. In other words, look good, but be as equally "dash-ing" (get it?) speed-wise.

http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/blackac92/images/prelude19in

Take a look at this Prelude out of a Superstreet Magazine Polk Audio ad. Copyrighted, I know, but I need it as an example. Pictured, is a set of silver 19" Hagen Axis. 19"!!! Width??? Nonetheless, a Prelude is not much larger than an Integra, and likewise, it is a FWD car. Granted, I'm sure the owner in this case was more concerned about the car's aesthetic appeal than anything else; I highly doubt anyone would sacrifice the drive-ability of a car for the sake of coolness. Because we all know that's just not cool. Tell me, what's your take on this? And tran_nsx, could you explain a little bit about how your Integra performs w/ 18x7x5 rims? Any kind of experience you could share would be appreciated. Thx!!!

bov300zx
10-22-2003, 09:09 PM
I have a 91 Integra w/ 17" Enkeis and I dont have any steering problems at all. I have hade the car up to 110 and I had still had control. The ride is only bumpy because of stiff springs and50 psi lo pros. Go with 17's they look decent and everything rides well.

tran_nsx
10-23-2003, 12:41 AM
that prelude looks really nice, altough the colors is a little bit too much for me. chances are thats not its permanent height, and if it was the real height there is no way that thing can steer. by looking at it, i say its riding on air shocks which are awesome but really expensive or coil overs .

yeah my teg rolls on 18x7.5zr35 which are really lo pro's. the ride is alway a little rougther just like bov300zx said due to the lowered hieght, but this isn't an option. if u want a lowered car u have to pay for the consequences. the tires are also ultra high performance so that makes the ride a little bumpier, the only way is to deal with it. beside that they handle fine, have no problems steering and have past 110 mph without any prob at all. and my 18's have made it easier to go over speed bump because of the elevated hieght. when i had my 14's on, speed bump was quite a challenge.

to have a 9in thread width, your definately going to need to have body work done, but your second option sound more nicer 17x7.5. honestly sometime i regret getting the 18's cause it made my rear portion of the car seem high even though they are lowered, and other times i think the 18s definately made my car shine. the choice is up to u, as long as u like it opinions don't matter. :icon16:

Mendari
10-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Well MicRay83, it seems you've gotten quite a few posts to this thread. I try not to offer personal opinions to the forum, and my posts were regarding physics and vehicle dynamics. Accordingly, everything that I have posted can be quantifiably measured. I believe that you asked your question because you needed technical advice, not fashion advice. Based on my educational background, I firmly stand behind my posts.
Something else to keep in mind, you ought not plus size your wheels beyond the measured diameter of the wheel and tire provided by the factory. Doing otherwise will negatively affect the suspension geometry and speedometer/odometer readings. In other words, your vehicle's ride and handling will be effected.

Add your comment to this topic!