Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clear coating and polishing??

Davoaldo
10-21-2003, 09:57 PM
When i clear coat over decal, the decal is always lifted, as in not lifted off but when finished polishing and stuff its liek a step higher then the body and i just don't get how people can't get the whole body even when there is all the decal in the way. Does anyone know what i mean??

Also if i want to paint a car flat black how do i polish it so that its smooth lookign but not shininy...... ??

Thanks... :icon16:

hobbes874
10-21-2003, 11:22 PM
When clearcoating over decals do it in very very light coats first and then make it a little heavier. And why would you want to spray a car is flat black :screwy: well, if you really want to then clearcoat it I guess :idunno:

nis.k.a.
10-22-2003, 01:30 AM
Some of the tightest street rods I've seen were flat black. So filthy......

As far as making it smooth I don't see need too. As long as you don't run the paint you should get the desired flat look. I suppose you could dullcote it and then cut it back smooth.

hirofkd
10-22-2003, 11:14 AM
When i clear coat over decal, the decal is always lifted, as in not lifted off but when finished polishing and stuff its liek a step higher then the body and i just don't get how people can't get the whole body even when there is all the decal in the way. Does anyone know what i mean??

Also if i want to paint a car flat black how do i polish it so that its smooth lookign but not shininy...... ??

I can think of two possible reasons.
One is that you didn't remove the water and air trapped between the decal and the surface. You can roll the cotton swab from the center to the outside directions to get rid of the excess water and air completely, while not damaging the decal it self.
Another is that the surface of the body color, which decal was applied, was not smooth enough. In that case, you can lightly polish the surface, or apply one or two coats of clear, polish it, and apply decal. After that, clear coat and polish as usual.

dag65
10-22-2003, 11:37 AM
I can think of two possible reasons.
One is that you didn't remove the water and air trapped between the decal and the surface. You can roll the cotton swab from the center to the outside directions to get rid of the excess water and air completely, while not damaging the decal it self.
Another is that the surface of the body color, which decal was applied, was not smooth enough. In that case, you can lightly polish the surface, or apply one or two coats of clear, polish it, and apply decal. After that, clear coat and polish as usual.
I agree, if you use a setting solution the ecal will bond better also

scaleracecars
10-22-2003, 04:44 PM

What you see is the thickness of the decal showing in the clear coat. You get a step or a lift at the edge of the decals. This is a common problem. If you are using an airbrush start out by applying clear in very light passes around the edge of the decals. This will build a bridge between the paint and decal.
David
Scale Race Cars (http://www.scaleracecars.com)

bvia
10-22-2003, 06:38 PM
What you see is the thickness of the decal showing in the clear coat. You get a step or a lift at the edge of the decals. This is a common problem. If you are using an airbrush start out by applying clear in very light passes around the edge of the decals. This will build a bridge between the paint and decal.
David
Scale Race Cars (http://www.scaleracecars.com)

Exactly!

Bill

Add your comment to this topic!