Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Castrol Super Clean - What is it?

Tyrell
12-08-2001, 12:48 PM
Nice Forum Guys.

Been looking in for a few weeks now...

Thought I'd make my first input a question, though.

Castrol Super Clean is mentioned quite a lot around here, as a good way to strip paint from a model, without damaging the plastic.

What is the purpose for which this product is originally designed?

Is it an engine degreaser or something?

I only ask because I stopped by my local Halfords (You've worked out by now, that I'm in the UK) today to pick some up, but was greeted by blank looks from the assistant.

He asked me what it was for, and I had to guess...

He offered me some GUNK, but I don't think I want to try that on a working project...

I take it the name is the same in all countries?

(Is it like Johnson's Future/Klear in that the product name is different depending on which continent it is sold?)

I've got a Tamiya Loctite/Zexel Nismo Skyline with a bad case of the runs in need of an urgent bath in this magical liquid!

Used Halfords Primer instead of Plastic Primer, got cracks/orange-peel/runs etc. where I normally get a reasonable finish.

It could just have been my impatience (more probable), but I'd like to cure it instead of leaving in the box like so many other half-finished projects...

Guiddy
12-08-2001, 12:55 PM
Here in the UK we are stuffed regarding Super Clean, though I am looking into it!
I have also had the same problems with Halford's primer, though not with solid colours from their own range!
Now I always use their plastic primer or Hycote plastic primer to be safe!

As soon as I source some CSC, I'll let all you UK guys Know!

Oh, welcome to the board too! The more Brits the better!:D

ales
12-08-2001, 01:00 PM
It seems to me it's a European market thing. The official Castrol importer to Estonia knows nothing about it. I use "good ole" DOT4 instead, and it works just fine.

Maybe our Finnish friends could tell us if any is available in Finlans...

Guiddy
12-08-2001, 01:23 PM
Yeah, brake fluid is a posibility, especially until we find some CSC!
Nasty stuff though, and some serious scrubbing is still called for!

modelfan1
12-08-2001, 01:39 PM
Castrol Super Clean is an all purpose degreaser that, used full strength will strip paint off your models. There are dilution instructions on the bottle for other jobs
IT IS NOT LIKE FUTURE FLOOR WAX
If you have Mr Muscle oven cleaner: that works just as well if not better.
Mr Muscle is not available in the US anymore.:mad:
with any cleaners use rubber gloves to keep all your skin on:licker:

Tyrell
12-08-2001, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by modelfan1

IT IS NOT LIKE FUTURE FLOOR WAX
Thanks for confirming my idea on CSCs intended purpose. Though I think you may have misunderstood the part of my original post that made reference to Future.

The lines referring to Future were in relation to international brand naming. I am aware of the uses of Future, and wouldn't attempt to use it as a stripping agent. :rolleyes:

If you have Mr Muscle oven cleaner: that works just as well if not better.
Mr Muscle is not available in the US anymore.
Yeah. I've used Mr Muscle "Foam" to remove paint from smaller items before now, and can testify that it works brilliantly.

I was sort of hoping to "bath" the body of my model in something though. My understanding of CSC is that it is a liquid - ie. I can totally submerse the body in it and leave for a few days? Mr Muscle seems to dissipate after a few hours.

...Looks like I guessed right though. It is a degreaser.

I wonder if GUNK would work. (Not that I want to try it on my Skyline :bloated: )

modelfan1
12-08-2001, 02:13 PM
You're right it is a liquid but before dunking anything important try a sprue from the same kit:flash:

Jay!
12-08-2001, 03:17 PM
Wow, guys... you pretty much have this covered. :cool:

Here is CSC's product info page. Notice it's on the "CastrolUSA" domain, not just "Castrol." Also notice that model paint stripping is not listed in it's chart of uses. :confused: :p

http://www.castrolusa.com/products/productpage1.asp?product_category=6&product_id=44

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon4.gif WEAR GLOVES!!! (that part is important, and deserves repeating!)

I use mine in a pickle jar. It's tall enough and has a wide enought mouth for a 1/24 car body. OTOH, the spray-bottle size I got only fills the jar 2/3 of the way, so I have to flip the body over when it's halfway done. :)

As far as I've tested it, it strips Tamiya acrylics, Tamiya spray lacquers and Testors spray enamels just fine, without damamging regular styrene or clear plastic parts. (But again, as modelfan1 says. it's still better to test it on something non-essential first.)

Ummm... anything else? :D

Yes, Welcome to AF!!! :D :D :D ;)

G-Forces
12-10-2001, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by jay@af
As far as I've tested it, it strips Tamiya acrylics, Tamiya spray lacquers and Testors spray enamels just fine, without damamging regular styrene or clear plastic parts. (But again, as modelfan1 says. it's still better to test it on something non-essential first.)

Strips chrome parts like a champ too. Just striped the S2000 wheels. Soaked for 2 days and clean as a whistle.

Moppie
12-10-2001, 06:51 PM
CRC make a Brake cleaner that is also great for stripping paint of metal and wood, and I think is safe to use on plastic.
But you might want to try it first just in case.

G-Forces
12-11-2001, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by G-Forces

Strips chrome parts like a champ too. Just striped the S2000 wheels. Soaked for 2 days and clean as a whistle.
Sorry just to update it doesn't get rid of that chrome primer. Had to scrub a bit with a tooth brush to get it off.

Tyrell
12-13-2001, 09:18 PM
Cheers guys.

As Guiddy said early on in this thread, us Brits will have to look elsewhere for an alternative to CSC.

I've used Mr Muscle in the past but tried to avoid brake-fluid until now. Looks like it might be the only viable option other than a combination of elbow-grease and wire-wool...

If I ever get the Skyline's bodywork looking like it should, I'll post pics.

Regards
Mark

Add your comment to this topic!