Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

synthetic oil poll

ROMMEL0915
10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
i need you guys choice of synthetic oil

BullShifter
10-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Those are all good oils listed

NarutoRamen
10-21-2003, 12:37 AM
I chose other....I chose castrol GTX...its great.

I have used Mobil 1 a few times but my dad usually gets Castrol GTX.

I would like to know if Mobil 1 is better than Castrol????

cwoblong
10-21-2003, 09:04 PM
Been using castrol syntec for two years .love it.

Ace$nyper
10-21-2003, 10:54 PM
quaker state for me.

GScivic7
10-22-2003, 04:23 AM
mobil 1 for life

Ricochet
10-22-2003, 02:04 PM
It's just synthetic oil... they're not too different.

NarutoRamen
10-23-2003, 04:56 PM
thanx ricochet....thats my other question...if they're all synthetic..then whats the difference between them??

whtteg
10-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Amsoil for me always for ever
And NarutoRamen any synthetic based oil is going to be better than a mineral based oil to answer your question unless you are talking abou the castrol syntec then it would be a personal preferance like me I will never use anything excpet Amsoil for as long as I own a car/cars. It has prven itself to me first hand and that is enough for me :iceslolan

NarutoRamen
10-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Thanx whttg, but my question was what differs Mobil 1 from Castrol or Amsoil???

RBBH
10-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Mobil1 is the original, and it has never let me down. Do mess with a great thing. All those oils do have street credit though.

whtteg
10-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Mobil1 is the original, and it has never let me down. Do mess with a great thing. All those oils do have street credit though.
Amsoil was the first company to develop a API rated 100% synthetic motor oil. So Amsoil would be the oringinal :smokin:

Buzz1167
11-01-2003, 10:25 AM
I know that mobil one has manufacturer support, porshe and some other high end cars use it stock, I think corvettes do too. I think with such cars, they are less worried about the money the oil costs and more worried about how well it works. I think if they thought redline, or amsoil worked better, theyd use that. I haven't ever heard of people using it, and didnt even know what redline was until a few months ago.

:2cents:
Buzz1167
Jon N

Sulsa
11-03-2003, 04:59 AM
I know that mobil one has manufacturer support, porshe and some other high end cars use it stock, I think corvettes do too. I think with such cars, they are less worried about the money the oil costs and more worried about how well it works. I think if they thought redline, or amsoil worked better, theyd use that. I haven't ever heard of people using it, and didnt even know what redline was until a few months ago.

:2cents:
Buzz1167
Jon N

You can't make assumptions that an oil is good just because a manufacturer uses it. You can probably safely assume that it's "satisfactory". Corporations often make deals or partnerships to promote their products hoping that consumers will make the assumption that you just did. It's a marketing tool.

Buzz1167
11-05-2003, 04:00 PM
I also read an article on mobil one (Ill see if i can find it) that stated how mobil one was/is one of the only "pure synthetic" oils. The others all have some portions that aren't synthetic or something, Ill go look now.

Just to let you know, that wasn't the only reason (my first quote), but I wasn't caring enough to explain myself completely.

Edit:
I think this is it,

"In 1999, the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus ruled in Mobil Oil’s challenge that Castrol’s “advertisements inaccurately represented that the current formulation of Syntec is synthetic”. Mobil’s position was “true synthetics had to be formulated from small molecules subject to a chemical reaction, not built from natural petroleum”. Castrol uses a “hydroprocessed mineral oil” (a Group III base stock) as the base stock in their Castrol Syntec. Previously, synthetic oil was accepted to mean the base stock was not conventional petroleum oil, regardless of refining process. This ruling changed all that.

The most popular and best performing conventional base stock was formulated with polyalphaolefin (PAO), together with other non-petroleum products, such as ester, to achieve optimum performance and seal swell. This is in essence the base stock used by AMSOIL.

People are more than a little surprised when they hear that many oils now on the market that are labeled as “synthetic” are really conventional oils. They are being advertised and labeled as synthetic oil, but are really specially refined conventional petroleum oil. People ask me how these companies can do that."

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

Sulsa
11-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean say that you had no other reason to think that Mobile 1 was a good synthetic oil. I just meant that a lot of ppl are likely to make an assumption based on car manufaturer support.

12secv6stang
11-06-2003, 04:06 AM
castrol for me in all my engines.
i have seen dyno results on synthetics and synthetic blends and they are proven 5 to 25 hp gain! (DEPENDING ON ENGINE AND OIL) this may seem outrageous but also on v8s i have seen that gapless rings has given 40 hp gains. these products arent adding hp they are "freeing" hp by reducing friction allowing more effecient operations of the engines components.
P.S. i find it hard to believe that any company uses pure synthetics from the factory because rings will not seat on a new engine if synthetics are used in the initial break in, synthetics impregnate the metals and therefore wont allow rings to seal properly.

whtteg
11-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Check this link out and also roam around the site and you wil find alot of info that proves that amsoil is 100%synthetic. http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/amsoil_vs_mobil1.htm

whtteg
11-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Also look at the NOACK volatility this would be real important to people who have turbos or are using nitrous, b/c of the extra heat etc. Also they make a turbo formulated oil that resists the heat better than the oil in this test but the drail intervals are not as long, but really I have never drove 25K miles on my oil I change it every 7-10K with a filter change in between b/c I am a dealer and costs are lower for me lol, and it has worked fine for me for a long time now. I am more than happy with it and everyone that i have sold it to has come back for more and said that they like it also, so Amsol must be doing something right. Also one last thing I am not on here defending Amsoil b/c i am a dealer, heck I don't put any markup on the oil I sell people, I just order mine with others and get a cheaper price for mine, so I make nothing and don't plan on it. I am on here defending Amsoil because I think it is a great oil and don't want people to miss out on it or go around bad mouthing it when it is in fact a extremely good oil. Now for your ordinarry person who leaves their car stock etc, mobil1 is plenty good, but if you are driving your car hard alot or racing alot etc, then Amsoil will perform better IMO.

911S_TARGA_RSR
11-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Forget Synthetics! I will take Castrol GTX anyday

911S_TARGA_RSR
11-06-2003, 04:58 PM
IT IS ALL ABOUT CASTROL GTX! Forget about synthetics.

Add your comment to this topic!