97 tahoe fuel pump problems

smothers
10-20-2003, 04:27 PM
I am now on my 4th fuel pump. They each seem to wear out after the initial 12month, 12k warrantee. Does this sound right to you guys. What's the deal.

97 chevy tahoe, 4x4, 350.

GMMerlin
10-21-2003, 07:45 AM
I can't remember the year the fuel pumps changed to an assembly, but if you have the old style where you could replace just the pump, check the wires at the top of the sender. The connector could be burnt and its not the pump thats bad but the sender.

smothers
10-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Two pumps ago, the wires were burnt at the sender as I recall. I believe the pump and sender are inside the tank (if my memory is still working).

GMMerlin
10-21-2003, 09:53 AM
The pump is inside the tank.
I would check the amp draw of the pump..should be about 6 amps...If you get a higher draw than that I would start looking at grounds and terminal fit.
It may not be that the pump is failing but there is a loose connection that is temporarily fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting connectors.
If you have had numerous pump failures..I would look at other causes.
Is it a GM pump that is failing?
If you would have had the pump installed by a GM dealer, the part and labor would be covered under a lifetime warranty...repair no charge to you.

BOOZER
10-21-2003, 10:46 AM
The only time I have seen repeated F/P failures it's
usually not the pump at fault. One failure can happen, more than that look for a problem in the related systems. First, buy a quality pump{a/c delco}, it will only cost a little more. Second, you did replace the in tank sock, didnt you, its service life is the life of the pump. After the first failure & since the in-line filter was already replaced when you did the pump the first time{correct?}check the tank for any foriegn debris, check the filter-is it plugged-from what, & inspect the lines for damage.
Fuel flow through the pump helps cool it & a restriction of flow will shorten its life dramatically.
And last like merlin said if there is an electrical problem dont hack it, a damaged connector needs to be repaired correctly with either a replacement terminal or a complete connector, you can get from
your dealer.

smothers
10-22-2003, 09:03 AM
The last three times I've had the pump replaced at the dealer. So I will assume they've done it right. This last time I had it done at my local garage (ACE) and they used a pump from the dealer. I was told the pump only carried a 12month 12k warrantee.

BOOZER
10-22-2003, 01:27 PM
I dont assume anything, you know where that get you.

frojoe
11-16-2003, 09:46 PM
The Fuel pumps from the 1997 tahoes were made bad. I replaced mine right after it turned 100,000 miles, and since I bought it with 93,000 miles, I don't know how many it has had. However, I had mine replaced with one made for a 1999 tahoe, and it seems to work fine. There seems to have been a slight modification to the 1999's to make it not break like it did for the 1997's.

Add your comment to this topic!