Tips on Buying 93!

ImPoRTkId
10-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey, iv been doing some serious research for the 3rd-gen rx7. Im really interested in buying one as im a big fan of the import scene. Im just wondering if any1 can give me some tips or things to look for when buying one like common problems, ways to make the car last longer, or anything else that would help me in keeping the car in tip top shape. Thanx in advance.

banditkiller
10-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Common problems? Hmm where to start. 1) They are usually driven very hard and abused. Watch for white smoke or a check fluid light. Check light indicates most likely a fractured o ring. Heat destroys rx-7's and as such check turbos to make sure they spool properly and produce boost. Also make sure to check the turbo manifold for cracks. Mileage. Try to find one without a lot of miles. Although as said above.... if it has been abused mileage wont really matter. Check the oil. Make sure it is clean and not black ... Just like any other car. Thats about all I can think of right now but Im sure there are many other things that other ppl will mention. HAve fun and good luck looking.

ImPoRTkId
10-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanx for the response. I 've seen a lot of high mileage ( 85k and above) that are being sold with a rebuilt engine and turbos. Would it be smart to buy one that has already had its engines and turbos rebuilt, or buy a lower mileage one and do the proper rebuilds when they are needed? Iv been hearing a lot about the engines requiring to be rebuilt and the turbos replaced farely early compared to other turbo-charged cars.

Jims5543
10-22-2003, 08:57 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144062

I gave this guy a ton of info. I dont feel like typing it again.

Good luck on your decision.

Add your comment to this topic!