Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

worth spending more money on "better" brand name parts

01IntegraGSR
10-20-2003, 02:04 PM
ok i got an 01 GSR... would it really do much or worth spending say, a couple hundred more on "higher quailty" parts like a venom fuel rail to a AEM one. plus.... will someone refresh my thoughts on the 4-2-1 heads to 4-1?? my mind went blank on which one is for more torque and HP higher in RPM's thanks :smile:

whtteg
10-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Ok with the gsr you are going to want the 4-1 header dc sports JDM style works nice, they fit perfect and don't leak, don't go cheap on the header. Now as far as the fuel rail your stock fuel rail will provide enough fuel to support more hp than you will porbably ever be seeing (alot). And as far as intakes go get a cheap intake off ebay and buy a K&N filter for it and you have a good intake, AEM intakes are over pricced and not worth the money IMO:2cents:. The key to a good intake is that you have a good filter the piping on the ebay inakes are fine but the filters are crap and should not be used at all if you care about your car at all. K&N filters are what AEM uses and are the best IMO or Apexi Funnel Ram filters are good too.

90_IntegraLS
10-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Ok with the gsr you are going to want the 4-1 header dc sports JDM style works nice, they fit perfect and don't leak, don't go cheap on the header. Now as far as the fuel rail your stock fuel rail will provide enough fuel to support more hp than you will porbably ever be seeing (alot). And as far as intakes go get a cheap intake off ebay and buy a K&N filter for it and you have a good intake, AEM intakes are over pricced and not worth the money IMO:2cents:. The key to a good intake is that you have a good filter the piping on the ebay inakes are fine but the filters are crap and should not be used at all if you care about your car at all. K&N filters are what AEM uses and are the best IMO or Apexi Funnel Ram filters are good too.
I wouldn't say any intake you'll want it ceramic coated otherwise it's going to act like a heat pipe for the air and do nothing but heat it up. AEM is what I'll be going with once I get the cash $115 locally. They are ceramic coated and designed for YOUR car no just a general intake that's fits iteg, civics, ... It's actually made for you car. The piping is 2 3/4 in instead of 3 in. like the ones on eBay. While you may think that that would reduce the air since it's smaller piping it actually helps because it doesn't disrupt the flow of air by changing the diameter of the tubing used. Oh and a good K&N cone is going to run you probably $40 to $50 and the intakes off of eBay will run $25-$35 shipped. So lets put the low price for the intake with K&N off of eBay $25 + $40 = $65

$115 - 65 = $50 so $50 more for the AEM (and with this you know your getting quality) and that's using the cheapest prices you're likely to find online.

:2cents:
Jared

BigBoyB
10-21-2003, 02:13 PM
aem short ram may cost 115 but for a cold air they're gonna run around $180 so if you want a cai then you better keep savin.

90_IntegraLS
10-21-2003, 03:39 PM
aem short ram may cost 115 but for a cold air they're gonna run around $180 so if you want a cai then you better keep savin.
Yes Short ram air system is what I was referring to and that was because in my area you might as well dump water in your gas if you buy a cai (missouri). So for the 2 - 4 hp gain from having cai versus the cost of hydro locking my engine just wasn't worth it. Also most cai don't have anything to keep moisture out of the cai like aem does and even then it isn't sure fire so unless you live where it is generally dry about 80% of the time it 2 -4 hp isn't worth the cost of the engine. my :2cents: So in reply to the original post for most things you pay for what you get. If you're wanting a fuel rail for dress-up purposes get one off of ebay as they will be comperable to stock just don't get the cheapest one.

Jared

whtteg
10-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Yes Short ram air system is what I was referring to and that was because in my area you might as well dump water in your gas if you buy a cai (missouri). So for the 2 - 4 hp gain from having cai versus the cost of hydro locking my engine just wasn't worth it. Also most cai don't have anything to keep moisture out of the cai like aem does and even then it isn't sure fire so unless you live where it is generally dry about 80% of the time it 2 -4 hp isn't worth the cost of the engine. my :2cents: So in reply to the original post for most things you pay for what you get. If you're wanting a fuel rail for dress-up purposes get one off of ebay as they will be comperable to stock just don't get the cheapest one.

Jared

AEM has nothing other than the bypass valve to keep WATER not moisture out and the bypass valve is extra and can be installed on any intake system. All you are paying for with AEM is expensive tube, and as far as it being ceramic coated how does that help when with your short ram you are going to be sucking upi air right from the header and other hot things so the air will be hot already and the ceramic coating is useless,

90_IntegraLS
10-21-2003, 04:09 PM
if that is how you feel...the non coated intakes retain heat and act like a heater themselves. So if you feel the need to heat up your air then go right ahead. the aem is at MOST $50 more and more realistically about $25 - 35. The AEM is going to be built better because is not some 1/16in piece of round sheet metal. It's going to be made for the model of car and not some generic fits 15+ cars. So if the $25 you'll save is that important...

tran_nsx
10-21-2003, 05:29 PM
for the best power gains go with the aem cai, they have been tested numerous times against competitors and have always came out on top. the only other intake system now that can beat aem's cai is the new v2 cai by aem. also another good reason to go with aem is because they are also carb certifed, so u don't have to put your stock intake back in when u get a fix-it-ticket from the cops or when u get a smog test.

short ram intakes are almost useless, they only gain 1-2 horse power depending on car and they suck in hot air from the engine bay. its main selling point is the appearance and the noise that u hear from it sucking in hot air.

have u actually look at your oem intake system? that is basically a cold air intake, if u don't believe me go look. its recieving cold air from infront of the radiator, then goes left toward the intake box, and finally going into the engine. the only problem with this system though is that theres so many restrictions and the filter frankly sucks.

just wanna finsh with this line-- u get what u pay for, and quality isn't cheap.

99civic03
10-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Also most cai don't have anything to keep moisture out of the cai like aem does and even then it isn't sure fire so unless you live where it is generally dry about 80% of the time it 2 -4 hp isn't worth the cost of the engine. my So in reply to the original post for most things you pay for what you get. If you're wanting a fuel rail for dress-up purposes get one off of ebay as they will be comperable to stock just don't get the cheapest one.

You my friend, are an idiot. Seriously...just shut up before you say something really stupid and get REALLY flamed.

90_IntegraLS
10-21-2003, 06:21 PM
You my friend, are an idiot. Seriously...just shut up before you say something really stupid and get REALLY flamed.

and you my friend are an ass, what the hell are you talking about

94tegRS
10-21-2003, 11:19 PM
ok, first stock system is in no way a CAI

2nd, the ones on ebay arent 1/16" sheet meteal, I got a CAI with filter(cheap one) for 33 shipped, compare that with the 180 at best AEM and you can buy 5 more cheap ones.

3rd, I saw a test and the injen CAI gave the car liek .2 HP less than the AEM, it was probably the air warmed up a bit between the two tests or something.

CAI is a tube to relocat the filter to where the air is the coldest, nothing more.

now the V2 is supposedly tuned to your car, but I saw it only gave 1 HP more than the normal CAI system.

and the BPV will not let water suck into your engine, but also disrupt the smooth airflow into the engine.

tran_nsx
10-22-2003, 12:32 AM
CAI is a tube to relocat the filter to where the air is the coldest, nothing more.

what u wrote basically describes the oem intake system, the only difference is that filter is in the middle of the tube. honda engineers design thier cars very well and the only way to get better gains is to have a more effiecient design overall, this is where aem came in and created a better tube and filter. here's a thread on cai vs. rai explaining the similarities of oem and cai system http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t27274.html

heres a link to aem's awards and recognition http://www.aempower.com/press_awards.asp. many companies have given them awards and recognize them for thier products especially their cai system. aem was also the pioneer of the cai for sport compacts, everyone else was just emulating what they created. now how many awards have injen recieved? don't get me wrong they do make some good intakes. i have also met some of thier employee's/designers (they were pretty down to earth) on one of my trips down to southern cali for a friends birthday/funeral. yeah definately was one of the wierdest nights i had. with the aem cai u also get the carb sticker so cops and smog shops can't tell crap. so if u want the best and the original, go with aem. damn i sound like a salesman :eek:

integragsr98
10-22-2003, 08:15 AM
AEM's intakes is nothing but the pretty color tubes with a filter, and no the mental they use won't make a damn difference on performance. you would regret paying for so much when you can get it alot cheaper and even works better. just grab a intakes off ebay and get a K&N filter, point blank.

90_IntegraLS
10-22-2003, 03:37 PM
K
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2438477374&category=38634

$45 shipped and that's if the bid stays as is $50 with bin. add another $50 for a K&N and you aren't saving enough to make it worth it to buy a junk intake when compaired to AEM. as posted above.

You get what you pay for. So you want cheap go to eBay. Want something that will last go AEM.

http://store.yahoo.com/racinglab/ac94invtecae1.html
found this real fast you can probably find it a lot less expensive if you look around it's $170 at a local "tuner" shop.

Spectre927
10-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Yeah, the bypass valve causes the air to be sucked in from a higher point where it won't be sucking in moisture, basically cancelling the whole idea of sucking in air from outside the engine bay. I live where its usually 90 degrees and if its raining, which isnt too often, Im usually not driving. Im thinking about getting one. Iceman probably, they never seem to get as hot as other ones.

tran_nsx
10-22-2003, 04:48 PM
AEM's intakes is nothing but the pretty color tubes with a filter, and no the mental they use won't make a damn difference on performance. you would regret paying for so much when you can get it alot cheaper and even works better. just grab a intakes off ebay and get a K&N filter, point blank.

every one is entitle to thier opinions. what u are going to regret is pulling out that generic intake and putting the stock (if u even still have it) back for the referee after an officer gives u a fix-it-ticket. cops pull me over several times to see if i have any illegal modifications when i live in southern cali. from these experiences, im definately glad i chose a product that is 50 state legal. of course if u live in a place where import racing isn't very popular then go ahead and get the generic imitations. for me personally, i rather be safe then sorry.

oh and how does the generic cai work better? it is cheaper, but as far as more hp gains i really wanna see your proof of the dyno charts. this deifinately sound more of an opinion than a fact.

heres a link to one of my favorite places to shop for performance parts. they aren't dirt cheap but they beat majority of every else's. if u look the aem cai can be as low as $159. not bad if u ask me. http://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bin/index11.pl?action=index

homeslice0229
10-22-2003, 05:42 PM
My AEM ram air intake was only like $80 free ship from www.nolimitmotorsport.com

94tegRS
10-22-2003, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=tran_nsx]what u wrote basically describes the oem intake system, the only difference is that filter is in the middle of the tube. QUOTE]

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143642

you should read that, exactly what you are thinking is proved to be dead wrong.

whtteg
10-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Actually with the DC2's the stock intake gets it's air from behind the filter box, yes the piping goes down under the bumper but it goes to a resonator and then it goes up to right behind the filter box.
But yes this whole argument is a matter of opinons so go with what you feel is better, trusting your own judgement is always the best thing to do. As far as the difference tyhe only thing I like better about the AEM that I have compered to the other intake I have is that the AEM has a mounting bracket on it to fasten it to the car unlike most cheaper ones they only have a piece of slotted thing that you attach to the intake with a clamp. That really sucks but there are ways around that. Like I have a cold air intake that is alumn and i am going to braze a bracket on to it and then it will be equal IMO to the AEM and I am using the AEM 3" filter from a ITR CAI so the filter will be the same and I think that if anything there would be a 1hp at the most difference and I think that my intake looks better than the AEM :2cents:

tran_nsx
10-22-2003, 10:08 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143642

you should read that, exactly what you are thinking is proved to be dead wrong.

ok after reading this post i've discovered how some very stubborn fellas can gang up on an individual to make themselves feel better. not including that, but they didn't even consider the guy's concepts, nor do some of these guys know the diagram of the oem intake system.

ok b4 i go on im going to try to make this as short as possible.

point 1-- one of the guys pointed out that the air intake is placed behind the radiator which then is sucking the air in the engine bay. now is this true or is he guessing?

point 2-- the only one with really useful infomation was from eckoman --1%hp for every 11.1 degree drop (he got this from somewhere cause it really sound familiar). even still his arguement doesn't fit his accusation of the oem intake not being a cai. his arguement is simply pointing out that the cai is accumulating more hp than the stock just like the rest of the other guys.

this is the first part of my argument; which is to point out the incorrect information.

whtteg
10-22-2003, 11:02 PM
WTF is going on here? I know you AF regulars have installed your own intake and yet no one has the exact answer yet. First off n00b no the OEM intake system is not a CAI. Yes, on a CAI the filter and actual induction does take place in front of the wheel but no your OEM intake does not. Try actually taking the OEM intake off and you'll see what I mean. The OEM does go into the front wheel well area but it induction does not take place there. Why because there is a RESONATOR BOX in there. From the RESONATOR BOX a pipe re-enters the engine bay where the actual air induction takes place. Hence, NOT A CAI.

This is actually true at least for the DC2 I am not sure about the 90-93 though.

tran_nsx
10-22-2003, 11:11 PM
ok now what i want u to do is take step back in your mind and consider this question. where is the air intake duct located? the answer to this will tell if it's a cai. induction doesn't start at the resonator, nor doe it start at air filter box.

if u don't know, its located infront of every thing including the radiator. hell if it was behind the radiator u might as well call it a hot air intake.if your going to argue then where is the performance? well just look at the intake's design. it's not made for performance, instead for the simple fact to get cold air into the engine. and consider this, if honda didn't care about getting cold air then why would they gone to so much trouble in rerouting the air intake induct in front of the car? the intake manifold is in the rear of the engine bay, so they could've easily find an area to place the filter, resonator and air induct in that area to make it their job simpler.

now when it comes to performance, there is many factors that are making the oem intake achieve less hp. one of them is the design. its just not as efficent as aem's or any other cai system. also the area that aem decided to induct air might even be colder than stock area. another factor is the filter which is slowing air down. also aem has design each intake for each vehicle using the finest parts and material to extract the maximum amount of hp. for example, my intake will not fit my generation gsr because my pipe circumference is bigger. with the gsr the pipe has to be smaller so the right amount and flow/smoothness of air goes into the intake manifold. and like the above states from an earliear post, the aem piping is powdercoated to resist heating the air going into the mainfold. thier intakes also have no use for a resonator since its main porpose in to achive hp not to quiet the system down. there could be other factors that come into play but these are the ones i recognize. now to have just one or factor is pointless but when contributed this is how aem out performs the competition. a perfect analogy would be the use of i/h/e. for the best performance gains all three must be use together not just one of them.

whtteg
10-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Man I kinda understand what you are saying but all I am tring to say is that I know for a 100% fact that the stock air intake assembly does not get it's air from outside the engine compartment. If you look to the right side of the stock air box in a DC2 integra behind the ABS system you will see a white pipe this is where the stock air intake gets the air from. But a snoted before IU am not sure about other models of integras but I am 100% sure about the 94+ though.

tran_nsx
10-22-2003, 11:57 PM
im not sure about the 94 and up either since i never owned one but this is true for the 2nd gen integra ls and the 2nd gen crx si since i own both, well i use to own the crx. just to double check with what your saying whtteg, i'll find out tomorrow. don't take it the wrong way, but i would rather see it to believe it. also in the past, people swore of a claim they made was true, but after i looked at it, there would sometime be information the other party overlooked.

whtteg
10-23-2003, 04:18 PM
I know what you are talking about with the crx b/c my 91 civic has the same thing it has a pipe that goes over and mounts on top of the radiator and points out the front at a angle kinda. But I have taken out 3 or 4 stock air intakes on DC2's and I can asure you taht I am right, actually I will try to take a pic tonight and post it so you can see :bigthumb:

tran_nsx
10-23-2003, 10:17 PM
ok for all u guys who been reading this thread, listen up.

just an hour ago i went to the acura dealer to find the answer to this debate. going up to one up the tech guys, i couldn't believe who i saw. it was an old friend of mine back in high school b4 i join the military, so definately i was impressed how far he has gotten as a mechanic. well him and another tech (the techs there call him mr. jdm, probably for a very good reason) got together and pop up the hood of a 3rd gen integ so they can explain, and i can visualize the new set up. they pointed that the oem intake for the 3rd gen goes straight down toward the right fender and bumper, there it goes into a resonator and in this area, cold air gets inducted into the air intake induct. now this set up is different then the 2 gen where the air induct is infront of the radiator. this could even be better than the 2 gen set up since the area of induction is simliar as aem's, so no offense whitteg, but i had to see it for myself .

further more they also told me that there was a comparison test between a rai and an oem intake, surprisingly the oem achieved more hp because of its cold air induction!!! so i have to say this, if anyone has a rai for their 94+ integ, its useless. this goes back to what i said earlier for its main selling point is for appearance and the sound of sucking in hot air (which some people think is cool and give the illusion of making more power). well blah blah blah yada yada, everything else they told me is very similar to what i said, like how the honda engineers are "honda egineers" for a reason, so lets move on shall we.

heres the tricky part, to differentiate between the cai that u see on the markets and aem's cai, the tech guys at the acura dealer refer to this as "cold induction"--which does a similar job as a cold air intake from aem by retrieving air from colder ambient location, although its not as efficient. so there u have it, coming from the techs.

after getting reaquaintted again with my friend who 5 years ago had a honda civic h/b, he now still races occasionally and has a 400 hp twin turbo mr2!!! :eek: damn im either very jealous or very envious, either what he got is a monster and im going check it out this weekend. :icon16: kinda wishes i started import racing the same time as they did, but hey got to look on the bright side, it's better late than never.

BullShifter
10-23-2003, 11:03 PM
so if u want the best and the original, go with aem. damn i sound like a salesman :eek:

Intakes have been around a lot longer than AEM has been around.

You people make such a big deal about intakes, its a frickin' intake & it is NOT going to make your car fast. Shit even with I/H/E & a small shot of nitrous, your car still will NOT be fast.

For the orginal question - You get what you pay for.

whtteg
10-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Ok here man I took some pics in the 1st pic you will see the stock resonator assembly notice the red arrow this is where the air enters the resonator, then notice the red box this is where the stock air box is located, then notice the relationship of the small white tube and the filter box, they are the same height. Notice that the small white tube is pointed in toward the engine compartment. Notice the 2nd pic it shows the abs unit, go back to the dealership and look again where the red arrow is pointing this is where you will find the end of the white tube for the resonator. I would have put the filter box on to show better but could not find it. No offense tran_nsx but you will find that I am right about this.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pbdedfa96668d5db64ee432fe45766165/fac04a61.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p96b1aefbd62b89b94d4ac8da8416df84/fac04a57.jpg

tran_nsx
10-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Intakes have been around a lot longer than AEM has been around.

You people make such a big deal about intakes, its a frickin' intake & it is NOT going to make your car fast. Shit even with I/H/E & a small shot of nitrous, your car still will NOT be fast.

For the orginal question - You get what you pay for.

u think i don't know that? :screwy: aem were the ones that created the best cai for imports. nowhere did i say intakes will make your car fast. it free up extra horsepower and when combine together with h/e and nitrous it will definately give u and edge over the same stock vehicle. here let me rephrase that to correlate with your post. i/h/e & a small shot of nitrous won't make your car fast, but it will make it faster.

BullShifter
10-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Oh yea, time for a fake roll cage & big wing :eek7:

whtteg nice visual :bigthumb:

whtteg
10-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Don't get me wrong guys I am not tring to flame anybody or anything I just want to make sure people don't think thier stock air intake is a CAI when it is not. Actually the stock air intake system is very restrictive, especially the resonator, and this is the reason I think intakes make such a big difference in tests. I think if you got a K&N drop in filter and removed the resonator that you would have almost the same hp gain as any aftermarket intkae system, and it would look oem too.

BullShifter
10-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Don't get me wrong guys I am not tring to flame anybody or anything I just want to make sure people don't think thier stock air intake is a CAI when it is not. Actually the stock air intake system is very restrictive, especially the resonator, and this is the reason I think intakes make such a big difference in tests. I think if you got a K&N drop in filter and removed the resonator that you would have almost the same hp gain as any aftermarket intkae system, and it would look oem too.

Stock air intake a CAI :screwy:

I agree with removing the resonator & droppin' a K&N in.

tran_nsx
10-24-2003, 01:58 AM
Ok here man I took some pics in the 1st pic you will see the stock resonator assembly notice the red arrow this is where the air enters the resonator, then notice the red box this is where the stock air box is located, then notice the relationship of the small white tube and the filter box, they are the same height. Notice that the small white tube is pointed in toward the engine compartment. Notice the 2nd pic it shows the abs unit, go back to the dealership and look again where the red arrow is pointing this is where you will find the end of the white tube for the resonator. I would have put the filter box on to show better but could not find it. No offense tran_nsx but you will find that I am right about this.
]

hey sorry for not responding sooner, had to work on an essay. but yes thanks for the visual. im curious, is the resonator in view like the drawing shown? from the teg i looked at, all i can see is the black tube from the intake manifold to the air filter box, then from there everything goes straight down toward the fender. also i couldn't find any white tube that u said was in the engine bay? this is really strange. then it hits me there might have 2 different setups since the teg that the techs and i observed, which i forgot to mention earlier was a gsr and you have an ls. tomorrow i'll head back toward the dealer and compare the pics, too bad u didn't get a bigger pic of the area around the air flter. all the dealership had were gsr's and i wasn't thinking there would be a diference in set up between models. hell tomorrow im going to ask them if i can dig in to get a closer look just to confirm what they are saying.

according to the drawing u have though, then no your model wouldn't be considered to be a cai. however i stand firm on the cold induction of the 2gen integra ls and 2 gen crx si. with the gsr i should find out tomorrow. :icon16:

KrNxRaCer00
10-24-2003, 06:01 AM
haha...all this over intake...

ppl already know my opinion that an intake is an intake, but do wut u'd like...

btw guys, u don't really "create" any more power from i/h/e, more like free up the power from the stock motor that is being restricted by the OEM parts...

well...thas my addition to this pointless thread... :biggrin:

whtteg
10-24-2003, 03:25 PM
The white pipe does not stick out really it is just flush in a hole behaind the abs unit, you have to look hard to see it but the resonator assembly is the same for all DC2's excpet the type R I think it does not have the same setup b/c I rode in a stock ITR and the intake was louder than any other stock teg I have been in before, but don't know for sure about that. Actually if you startthe car up and rev the motor and put your fingers down in behind the abs unit into the hole you will probably feel the draft.

tran_nsx
10-24-2003, 09:37 PM
i was too tired to head out there today maybe in a couple of days :frown: .

haha...all this over intake...

ppl already know my opinion that an intake is an intake, but do wut u'd like...

btw guys, u don't really "create" any more power from i/h/e, more like free up the power from the stock motor that is being restricted by the OEM parts...

well...thas my addition to this pointless thread... :biggrin:

i admit this is a lot for just an intake. this topic would have better be suited in the "let's get technical section," but since intakes came up and its referring to the integra's i don't see why not? im doing this research for 2 reasons, to find out the truth between an oem's intake and the "cai" since this heated debate has come up several previous times. my other reason, to gather data from the research and implement this info on a new design of performance intakes. ponder this, a cai and a rai culminating into one. if this idea works to free up more hp than any other design to date, then imagine the wealth. besides that, i would actually make a product that freaken works, unlike majority of those rai being in the engine bay.

did i use the word, "create" any where? if i did, that was a definately a mistake, please refer to my 2nd prior post.

oh by all means if this is thread is pointless, no one is sticking a gun to your head to read it. u do have the option of ignoring it just like what i do with your your thread called, "2000 post later..." (which to me sound pointless) so please respect my opinons and i'll respect yours :biggrin:

whtteg
10-24-2003, 10:00 PM
tran I think he was just joking around man, I don't think it was anything personal towards anybody. There is no use in you guys fighting about thread topics, it will get nobody anywhere.
But as far as the intake thing I promise you it is like the pic I posted, I took mine out and I took my buddies out in his 94 GSR it wsa exactly like mine, he did not even know it was there LOL

tran_nsx
10-24-2003, 10:43 PM
hey thanks whtteg, i hope he was just joking around also, thats why i try not to take it to personal. but when he call my topic pointless, it kinda got under my skin. sometimes though, i feel like there is a conspiracy against me that some of the veteran af members are just waiting for me to slip up, or it could all just be in my head and im getting a little on the paranoid side. well what ever the case, i join not to recently ago, my automotive knowledge is quite decent although not up to par with the techs and mechanics that deal with this every single day. on a positive note, i got time, and to certain aspects, i know more then some of them when involving with aftermarket and modifications. :)

90_IntegraLS
10-25-2003, 01:01 PM
ok i got an 01 GSR... would it really do much or worth spending say, a couple hundred more on "higher quailty" parts like a venom fuel rail to a AEM one. plus.... will someone refresh my thoughts on the 4-2-1 heads to 4-1?? my mind went blank on which one is for more torque and HP higher in RPM's thanks :smile:

As for the itake I think it if fair to say that you may be able to get a CHEAP one off of ebay and you may be happy, but you won't be spending that much more to get a quality cai from AEM. It will have proper mounting so you don't have to worry about that. I think from the big ordeal that you can see that some people think that the cheap ones off of ebay are fine and then there are some that think they will be crap (me included), but I don't think anyone on this post is going to tell you (seriously at least) that if you get an AEM you will be getting crap (they are the best intakes on the market currently). Also if you can afford it they make the V2 intake which actually gets rid of some of the hot air so that your engine is just getting the colder air.

The fuel rail...don't really need one unless you are wanting just the dressup asset of it as it won't do anything performance wise and you won't be make the hp #'s (most likely) to require and aftermarket one.

The header...go with the 4-1 less possibilty of leaks if for no other reason. They are a little harder to get in if you don't want the finish messed up (remove the radiator and fan and they got it in without a problem).

:2cents:
Jared

94tegRS
10-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Also if you can afford it they make the V2 intake which actually gets rid of some of the hot air so that your engine is just getting the colder air.

what do you mean it gets rid of the hot air, it is the same thing, a tube that attatches to the TB at one end and a filter at the other, just like SRI or CAI, the difference is the 2 different size pipes for the 2 different wave charges or however they advertise it, standard CAI doesnt let in hot air either that why it is called cold air intake.

tran_nsx
10-25-2003, 06:27 PM
what do you mean it gets rid of the hot air, it is the same thing, a tube that attatches to the TB at one end and a filter at the other, just like SRI or CAI, the difference is the 2 different size pipes for the 2 different wave charges or however they advertise it, standard CAI doesnt let in hot air either that why it is called cold air intake.

can't really speak for him, but i believe he's refering to the v2 system with short air runner configuration which aem provides a heat shield to reduce hot air from the engine.

90gs
10-27-2003, 12:12 PM
i agree with whtteg as far as the cheap ebay intake. get the tube and put a k&n filter on it, thats what i did. i definitely wouldnt go cheap with the header, the cheap ones have really small piping and defeats the purpose of getting a larger header for increased flow.

Crackerballer
10-27-2003, 10:20 PM
Imma add my $.02 to the pointless thread

I believe the main concerns of an intake are:
1), How good does the filter do its job
2) where does it draw cold air from?

The piping, whether its hot or not, shouldn't matter, the airs is in their for such an insignificant amount of time, it cannot heat it that much.

I believe the people buy AEM for its quality (i.e. specific mounting points, good hardware) and the design (relocates filter to cooler air, and has a good filter, with little risk of falling off)

The reason people will pay the 180 or 200 for it is because of the time put into it, and the fact that people want to be worry free. With that home-made ebay stuff, you can damage alot. Why not spend the money knowing that a company has tested and tested a product to make sure it helps not harms your car?

Im off the soapbox now..

BullShifter
10-27-2003, 10:56 PM
The only reason I can think of for buying an expensive intake is for the CARB sticker

Spectre927
10-28-2003, 12:20 AM
people like to be able to say, I have this or I bought that. I guess they try and let there parts do the talking. But if its cheap and gets the job done, theres nothing wrong with it.

Add your comment to this topic!