Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Breaking in a 6spd

ArideII
10-20-2003, 12:10 PM
I just got a new 6spd and was wondering about the break in period, what it is for, and how long it is? I couldn't contain myself and have taken it to redline a few times ( I waited until 300 miles), did I screw up?

Thanks

BullShifter
10-21-2003, 12:05 AM
No you didn't screw anything up, its best if you stay under 4,000RPM & DO NOT cruise @ a constant speed(cruise control set @75mph for 200 miles - vary the speed) After 750-1,000 miles the "break-in" period is over. The break-in period is basically so all moving parts & metal adjust / settle

Welcome to AF, btw.

ArideII
10-21-2003, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to fill me in. What are peoples reccomendation for when and when not to drive with TCS on? I used to drive a z3 2.8 and it had something similar but I couldn't tell a difference when it was on or off. I haven't tried driving my new "A" ride with it off yet.

HONDA_99
10-21-2003, 12:27 PM
TCS reduces wheel spin during take off on slippery surfaces. it work by applying brakes to wheel that spinning.

BullShifter
10-21-2003, 11:08 PM
The 1st thing you do after starting the engine is, Turn the damn traction control off. Rain & snow are the only times I MIGHT turn it on, but those are the fun times :bigthumb:

How come you didn't get a Z4 instead of the Accord, or maybe a Mroadster / coupe(those are bad little cars)? I'm liking the new 6 series myself, M6 mostly! I used to work for BMW of NA & a BMW dealer, what job that was. Broke me a few shifters in the Z3's a few too many times.

ArideII
10-22-2003, 02:09 PM
I am not a big fan of the z4. For me it is the Pamela Anderson of sports cars. MRoadsters, MCoupes, M3, I love them all, but a touch out my price range. I managed to almost steal away my 6spd coupe. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. What I would give to work for BMW... They are my favorite car. The 6 series looks nice, Finally Chris Bangle did something right. Do you know if he designed the current 3 series? It looks to good for me to believe he did.

liquid51
11-17-2003, 09:23 PM
just so you know too, there are some who believe that mixing a few full throttle, redline blips into the break-in procedure can actually help break the engine in more efficiently. It helps seat the piston rings and give a better seal between them and the cylinder walls.

BullShifter
11-17-2003, 10:41 PM
just so you know too, there are some who believe that mixing a few full throttle, redline blips into the break-in procedure can actually help break the engine in more efficiently. It helps seat the piston rings and give a better seal between them and the cylinder walls.
Thats taken care by the porter's & tech's! I used to beat the living hell out of brand new BMW's with less than 10 miles - racing friends, missing gears, over-rev's, etc. :naughty:

mtaich
06-09-2004, 11:15 AM
No you didn't screw anything up, its best if you stay under 4,000RPM & DO NOT cruise @ a constant speed(cruise control set @75mph for 200 miles - vary the speed) After 750-1,000 miles the "break-in" period is over. The break-in period is basically so all moving parts & metal adjust / settle

Welcome to AF, btw.

Hi,
I’m a little bit confused … A cruise control maintains the given car speed, not RPM. For the break-in period an important thing is to vary RPM. If a road doesn’t have a constant slope, your RPM will change to maintain a given car speed. So, why is it so bad to use the cruise control? And by the way, user manual doesn’t mention anything in this regard.

BullShifter
06-10-2004, 12:21 AM
The cruise control does not change the RPM's enough. During the break-in period you want to use a range of rpms since that will be the normal operating condition.

mtaich
06-21-2004, 10:10 AM
The cruise control does not change the RPM's enough. During the break-in period you want to use a range of rpms since that will be the normal operating condition.

Thank you very much for the info.

Add your comment to this topic!