Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

6V or 12V?

amp108
10-19-2003, 10:11 PM
I am going to restore a 1966 Beetle and want it to be as original as possible. I have been told that I should convert it to a 12 volt system though. I don't intend on adding any non-stock electronics, so is there any other reasons that I should convert it over to 12V? Or should I leave it as a 6?

toycraftusa
11-12-2003, 06:20 PM
I am going to restore a 1966 Beetle and want it to be as original as possible. I have been told that I should convert it to a 12 volt system though. I don't intend on adding any non-stock electronics, so is there any other reasons that I should convert it over to 12V? Or should I leave it as a 6?

depends on how much of a stickler you are for being original.....I can appreciate the decision, I have a few older cars myself, debating whether to stay stock or some changes.
even with not adding any extra goodies, a 12 volt system is a better way to go....it will of course take some changes, besides the battery, as you know :) but often as the wiring gets "tired" you can experience starting problems with the 6 volt......then again that issue can be addressed with putting in a solenoid, typically a Ford part. we used to do that at the dealer quite often on the 6 volt bugs.
without spending pages and pages here, even with the added expense of changing items to 12 volt, if it was mine I would go 12 volt.
if you like, I can email you directly and go more into detail:)

rip94delsol
10-04-2004, 12:17 PM
i just bought my 1967 bug and I want to do the wiring myself but i wanted to convert to 12v scince i dont know anything about bugs i will need to know what parts to buy like a different fuse box,generator or alternator battery and such on

boschmann
10-04-2004, 08:40 PM
A '67 would already be 12V.

rip94delsol
10-06-2004, 09:54 AM
so when i buy a whole new wiring kit that kit will be ready for a 12v system them. because the bug that i bought does not come with a motor and so im building a 2332 motor but im guessing i will need a 12v alternator right?

boschmann
10-06-2004, 08:00 PM
The wiring harness for a '67 will be 12 Volt, but it will be set up for a generator. You can make the modifications to change it to an alternator. There are several places that sell the parts as a kit. Just do a Google search on VW alternator conversion.

http://www.bus-boys.com/charging71.html

rip94delsol
10-07-2004, 09:43 AM
i noticed on my firends 67 he has a bosch convertor of some sort. so i looked for the same convertor and didnt find it. should i be looking for a convertor or not? Also does anyone know where i can get a complete wiring harness for my 67? Thank you for your help people!

boschmann
10-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Are you meaning voltage regulator, under the rear seat? Compete harnesses are available from many places, do a Google search on it, here's one I've used:

http://www.westcoastmetric.com

Add your comment to this topic!