Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Muffler Weathering

AstroRide44
10-18-2003, 11:06 AM
do u guys have any tips of how to weather a muffler on a race car? any help would be great, thanks max

freakray
10-18-2003, 11:23 AM
If you mean to create the heat stains you see on the mufflers and exhausts, here is a good tutorial:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/howto/bike1/tip1.htm

DarchAngel
10-20-2003, 01:42 AM
Freakray's link is a good one. If you were looking to do something more along the lines of black streaky look, or even rust, just change the colour of the paint you use. The idea is to make a translucent paint so that you are colouring the part without changing the overall colour (does that make sense??? :)). For instance, if you want dark streaky look, like brake dust on discs, you'd thin down some flat-black paint so that it is mostly water with a very slight tint (or just use Tamiya's smoke?) and brush it on to the areas you want to tint. This will darken the area but will blend well into the overall colour underneath. If you want rust, try thinning down a reddy brown, and using that instead. You could also drybrush some brown over silver - if you do it well it should blend okay as well.

Hope this helps

ShOrtyOC714
10-20-2003, 09:54 AM
You mean a "Titanium Tip" Right? those kinds are crazy, there just a special kind of metal that is buffed out like crazy to give it that purple blueish look to them. I also want to know how to make some titanium tips.

RalphCare
10-20-2003, 12:28 PM
You mean a "Titanium Tip" Right? those kinds are crazy, there just a special kind of metal that is buffed out like crazy to give it that purple blueish look to them. I also want to know how to make some titanium tips.
i would think that putting a light brush of chrome on the exhaust tip, then going over it with a blue permanent marker and buffing it off slowly will give u that blazed titanium purple look. then thin down some black paint and paint a bit where the titanium ends and it should look ok.
i might do this with my kpgc-10 :)

on freakrays post, that is some nice example of how to do it. but i think the modeller over did it a bit with those colors or the amount he applied. i dont want my exhaust looking like it was made in Bozo the Clown instead of Borla.

DarchAngel
10-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Yeah, but if u look at the stains on the real bikes, it aint that far a stretch; but I did think the same thing when I first saw it. It was like one of them bright caterpillers(sp?) had crawled up into the dudes bike!

Anyways, if u wanna make titanium tips, just mix up a blue\purple wash and off u go. Just make it about 20:1 thinner\water to paint.

nis.k.a.
10-20-2003, 05:11 PM
I essentially did the same as Tamiya. Using transparent orange than blue over a metallic surface. I didn't thin mine so I had to cut and buff a little when dry but it does replicate a flame treated titanium exhaust tip.

Add your comment to this topic!