Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Price and other questions.

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
10-17-2003, 05:13 PM
What is wet sanding?

And For Primer, what companies do you recommend? I usually buy Tamiya but I need a price range on the sizes.. and the usual prices people buy them for cause I want to make sure I don't get jipped, or ripped off in some sort of way. =) Thanks

hirofkd
10-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Wet sanding means to sand, while moisturizing the paper with water, to prevent (more like slow down) the clogging.

As for primer, I recommend sticking to Tamiya, since it's one of the best, and if you go for cheap one, you won't get the same quality. Tamiya primer tall can is about $6.00. Dupli Color primer is also good, and it's about $4.80

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
10-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Say I want to paint something Bright Orange.. what primer do I use?

Another question.. What does GLOSS do? What do you need it for? Which company is most recommended?

freakray
10-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Say I want to paint something Bright Orange.. what primer do I use?

Another question.. What does GLOSS do? What do you need it for? Which company is most recommended?

If you're painting something bright orange I would recommend using a white primer since orange tends to be one of those colors that are effected by the base color.

Gloss? As in gloss paint? or as in clear coat?
Gloss clear coat is just a coat of paint you put over your color coats to protect the paint and give the shine added depth.
Gloss paint on the other hand refers to paint with a glossy/shiny finish.

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
10-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Oh cool Thanks, it says in the colors I need.. It says Semi-gloss and gloss.. Then while building the model is shows to paint the part semi-gloss black.. what do they mean?

freakray
10-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Semi-gloss black has less glossy sheen than gloss black, I guess you could say it has a different hue to it.
When you paint the 2 you will notice a distinct difference in the finish.
A gloss color will have a glossier finish to it than the semi-gloss paint.

To get a nice looking model, it isn't worth skimping on paint,get the correct colors it calls for and in the end you will be happy with the result. :)

hirofkd
10-18-2003, 07:33 PM
You have to have the first hand experience to see the difference. Just paint or spray gloss, semi-gloss and flat black on a scrap part. And the glossiness varies by brand. For example, Tamiya's flat black is very flat, while Gunze's flat black isn't that hazy. So, it's up to your choice, and when I made a black Enzo, I used Tamiya flat black for the chassis, to enhance the difference, even though the chassis is supposed to be semi-gloss black. I'll use semi-gloss for the yellow and red body color though.

Layla's Keeper
10-19-2003, 01:06 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend Floquil primer. It's grey, not white, but it's a light enough grey that it doesn't mess with the color of the car.

Also, in my experience, Floquil primer (which is a LACQUER primer) has substantially more "tooth" than Tamiya or Testors primer so paint adheres to it better. Other good things are the fact that it's a very fine primer so you lose nearly no detail after spraying it and the fact that it's a lacquer primer means that you won't have lacquer paints, like automotive paints or nail polish (like I use) eating into the plastic or resin.

The reason Floquil is so good is because it was formulated for model railroaders to use. When you're working on 1/87th or 1/144th scale pieces, you can't afford to lose detail.

I've sworn by Floquil paints and Floquil's primer since I began modeling, and I'll swear by them until the day I die. Yay Floquil!

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
10-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Apparently I was told that AMT models are usually not quite good, and you have to be quite experienced to deal with them, someguy said that there are some defaults in AMT models and that the experienced modelers usually have to fix them. I'm making a 1995 Toyota Supra from 2Fast2Furious. If you have any comments on this please post them. And I did notice that Tamiya semi-gloss and Tamiya gloss are apparently VERY VERY close in color. And the chassis flat black. That's cool. I'll think about that.

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
10-19-2003, 09:11 PM
AND !! One other question..

How do you use Plastic Putty? Why do you use it?

chaos
10-19-2003, 10:33 PM
I think you might notice a difference in semi-gloss black and black if you were to airbrush them cos I did. As for plastic putty, I assume you mean just normal putty?

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
10-19-2003, 11:33 PM
Yes I mean, regular plastic putty, for modeling made by Tamiya..
What do you use it for and how do you use it?

Add your comment to this topic!