Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Old Kits

hakka
12-07-2001, 03:12 PM
What do you guys think about old kits. I want to do one of my '79, and the only kit even close to it is the '78 Corvette Pace Car, manufactured in '79. Its a monogram kit, too:( I figure if the quality is crappy now, it must have been a nightmare then. Have any of you ever done an older kit? how bad was it?

Guiddy
12-07-2001, 04:00 PM
It depends on what you are used to!
Doing anything other than a Tamiya kit feels like doing an old kit now!
I think you'l be OK! I got an old Tamiya Renault 5 Turbo off Mark, and that is basic! It has space for a motor, so it is very simple chassis wise!

Sometimes you can't be too fussy if you want to build YOUR car! I say go for it!

primera man
12-07-2001, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by hakka
What do you guys think about old kits. I want to do one of my '79, and the only kit even close to it is the '78 Corvette Pace Car, manufactured in '79. Its a monogram kit, too:( I figure if the quality is crappy now, it must have been a nightmare then. Have any of you ever done an older kit? how bad was it?

Doing some older kits is a good challenge and if thats what you like or the type of cars you like then go for it. Any kit can turn out really good with time spent on it.
If you have read though some of the other threads you will see i have done a few already.

Guiddy
12-07-2001, 05:14 PM
Warren?^^^^^^^^^^^:confused:

primera man
12-07-2001, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Guiddy
Warren?^^^^^^^^^^^:confused:

LOL......I know....send for the white jackets !!!!

I have to admit the Dodge was a surprise on how it went together. Still no where near a Tamiya kit, but alot better.

Did i really say that about Revell :bloated: :bloated: :bloated:

I need a holiday :bloated: :bloated:

modelfan1
12-07-2001, 06:14 PM
'79--old kit ??
you should try a '60s Revell kit,multi piece body!!!
the right side , the left side and the middle
plastic multi-piece tires
nothing but Testors tube glue
AHH THE GOOD OLD DAYS:D

hakka
12-07-2001, 06:18 PM
i'm pretty much used to newer revell kits...I know they're terrible, but the nearest hobby shop is 50 miles away, and they carry very few Tamiya kits. I need to try HLJ pretty soon:)

Add your comment to this topic!